Contents Insurance - rights?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4514 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Is it right that insurance companys dont legally have the right to use their suppliers to replace goods in a claim or if they offer you a cash settlement it shouldnt include any discount they would recieve if they were to replace your goods from one of their suppliers? I was recently burgled ...whilst we were in the home and during the daytime! The amount taken is around £1300. I do not want replacement goods, I want to chose my own goods as I did when I originally purchased my property. However, the loss adjusters have contacted their suppliers and we have been waiting over a week for someone to contact us. I want to know what my rights are regarding this issue.

My insurance company have appointed Cunningham Lindsey who are really taking their time over this claim!

Thanks in advance

Hello there.

I hope other forum members will be along later with comments for you.

I would have thought that this would be governed by the wording of your policy document if you have it. I have heard of replacement and understood it was fairly normal practice. If you use the supplier they mention, will you be able to choose the items?

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi,

I haven't spoken to the supplier yet but when I initially spoke with my insurance company they said they would be paying a cheque to us in joint names ie myself and husband which led me to believe I would be getting cash?

Thanks HB

Hi,

I have checked the wording and it does look like they can offer a replacement, however, in the burglary they took my son's college bag, this contained his ipod. Since then my husband has upgraded his mobile phone and given our son his old iphone, this renders a new ipod useless since the iphone does the same job so where might this leave us in terms of a replacement?

Thanks in advance

It all works on the wordings about how they will settle your claim, usually saying they will repair replace or cash settle, stating it is their choice.

On this basis, if you choose a cash settlement they can choose to offer only the replacement cost it would cost them, if they choose to offer the cash settlement it needs to be on retail as they are stepping outside of their option to replace at a discounted cost.

You may be able to ask the insurer's supplier to offer something else instead of the ipod.