How do I revoke summons for CT-nonpayment?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4492 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am a full-time student. Is there anything I can do to make the council drop their summons for non-payment of council tax? First you think it's ridiculous as council tax charges are waived 100% for full-time students. I have called them to reason about it and they insist we (me and 2 other housemates who finished in September 2011) pay £70 as they have sent us reminders to the old address where we no longer live! They are saying we should have contacted them to close the account when we move out, but we did not think about the tax as we never had to worry about it since we are still students.

I have asked my agent to prepare a proof of end of tenancy so am still waiting for their reply or my housemates and I have to cough out the £700+ council tax. I only came to know about the summons when the new tenants told me about it.

I'm not sure I understand you here. You are in full time education but are being charged (with a liability order) for council tax.

So the council don't believe that you are a student, why do you think that is.

They are saying we should have contacted them to close the account when we move out, but we did not think about the tax as we never had to worry about it since we are still students.

If you did not notify them and the council have incurred costs , which will have been done so with the issuing of the summons, then they can continue to pursue these costs even if the balance of the council tax due is reduced to zero. For a Liability Order application costs are fully recoverable.

It sounds like the summons was issued to the address as you had not told them you were leaving, it is perfectly legal to serve the documents to the last known address.

So the council don't believe that you are a student, why do you think that is.

It appears the council knew their student exemption had ended.