Council Tax arrears - Joint shared between 3 people

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4518 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,Could anyone please help regarding my current setup!?Basically i used to live with 2 other people in a house for 1 year - this was a fixed 1 year tenancy agreement signed by all 3 of us (not shared accomodation). We agreed at the start that all bills where to be made through one person (not me - ill call him person P) however it turns out he didnt pay anything at all to anyone during the whole tenancy.This was 2 years ago and the council have now contacted me through my work(!?!) informing me that im liable to the amount of £1,200. im guessing that as im the only they were able to contact that i'll have to pay but i dont think its fair that i have to pay the full amount!Does anyone know if i can pay just my share (i.e.1/3rd of the amount) and no longer be liable? does anyone know of a previous instance where this has been possible?i would very much appreciate a response if possible!!Thanks in advance! Dave

Unfortunately you can be held liable to pay the whole lot. If of course you know where the others are it would be in your interest to let the Council know.

PT

So there's no way i can just pay my share and be removed from the list... it really is unfair to pin the whole debt onto one person - thanks for the response. Guess all that's left now is to redirect the council to my previous room mates new address.

It is called joint and several liability. For all you know the Council may have details for all of you, they are then allowed to chase each and if one person coughs the lot up that's it as far as they are concerned, it would then be for you to tackle the others to get back what they owe..It may be that person 1 pays £5 per week, person 2 pays £25 per month & person 3 pays a lump sum of £xxx. Not really sure if they will tell you if they have found the others but suspect not due to DPA.

Of course you should ask:

1 - how many Liability Orders they have

2 - when obtained

3 - the period of time they cover

4 - the address they were for

5 - how much is still outstanding

It is in your own interest to contact the Council as next you may have a Bailiff knocking!

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is in your own interest to contact the Council as next you may have a Bailiff knocking!

PT

This is the issue - i'm not at a fixed address as yet (am switching between the few friends i still have!) however the council have stated they have since used a company who traced me to my Nan's current address (i did live there about 5 years ago) and said that they would have to send the bailiffs to her address. I've told the council that i havent lived there for a while and she's also 85 so this will cause a huge amount of stress for her! Can they still go ahead with this?? esecially as this has no connection with her at all?!

In theory they can. The problem is they want their cash and the danger would be that a Bailiff may turn up. You should inform the Council in writing of your Nan's age as this will clearly put her into the vulnerable category according to the National Standards for Enforcement Agents, as the debt has nothing to do with her they cannot do anything anyway. To be straight you should advise your Nn of what is going on in case she receives visitors.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]