• Tweets

• Hi Lolerz Thanks for replying to me, yes I've been ignoring her & will continue to do so. All she keeps saying is they want to come up with an amicable settlement. Keeps saying this to our receptionist she shouldn't be saying this to a receptionist or even me in the first place as they have given no proof of anything no IP addresses noting just keeps saying about an amicable settlement.
    • If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step? It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Dial a Rod - Boiler Insurance...WON'T RETURN MY MONEY!!!!!.....HELP!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4098 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi to all,

Can't believe you can get caught up with some really bad business dealing companies!!

I wanted a boiler insurance for my Ideal boiler (RUBBISH BOILERS), as my initial insurance under the Homefront Scheme ran out. Eagaheat wanted far too much, so i searched the net and managed to get BOILER COVER & DRAINAGE etc for £85.99 and paid for it via debit card. Website link:

http://www.dialarod.tv/index.php?opt...d=85&Itemid=93

Then for some reason i rang them, no success! After several attempts on both numbers, i gave up and rang the next day, going through the same process... i eventually got through..but by then, i thought this is not the type of wait i want to experience if i need an answer in emergency, so i decided to cancel my policy.

Policy taken out on 27th October 2011 - paid £85.99 via Debit card

Policy Cancelled on 28th October 2011 - By phone and sent email (copy of email in "sent" box):

Dear Sir/Madam

With reference to our phone conversation today 28/10/11, please cancel my policy that i took out yesterday on 27/10/2011, for the amount of £85.99.

As per your terms and conditionslink3.gif under the Cancellation section (copied below), it is within the 14 days period.

Thank you

Mr XXXXXXXXX

Address XXXXXXX

Mobile no XXXXXXX

"Should you cancel the

Homecover within the cancellation period, we will refund any amount you

have paid, provided no claim has been made against the Homecover in the

meantime. Please note that you have a statutory right to cancel this

Homecover within 14 days of purchasing the Homecover. This statutory period is

included within the cancellation period."

The lady (sarah) said it was done and should get money back in my account by Tuesday. YEP, NO MONEY!

Rang on Tuesday, she said she needed to take details of my debit card to refund money back in the account, which she forgot to do last time! Anyway, she said the money would be in my account by Friday...YEP, NO MONEY!!

I rang them again this morning, the office manager was not around they told me, and took my mobile to ring me back. Waited, but no call, so i rang them myself and got through to office manager. She checked details and said it got forwarded to Kelly (whoever she is), so they are sorting it out!!!!!

I rang some consumer help number (can't remember), and the gentleman stated to write a letter stating, under Financial Services Distant Marketing Regulations 2004, i have cancelled the agreement on 28/10/11, and i am now giving you 7 days to refund my money, after which without further notice i will be taking legal action.

Can anyone advise please?

Thank You

Mark

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

I decided to write H/O a letter. Address taken from website. After which i will send a letter before action.

What business procedure eh!...taken my money..no document whatsover, no email of confirmation of anything....no boiler policy either!!!

HEAD OFFICE

Dial a Rod House

Tweedy Road

Bromley

KENT BR1 3NH

Dear Sir/Madam

Cancellation Of Policy

Date Policy Taken: 27/10/2011

Date Policy Cancelled: 28/10/2011

Cancellation Emailed on: 28/10/2011

Dear Sir/Madam

With reference to the above, I would like to state that after several attempts with Sarah, Office Manager, starting from 28th October 2011, I have still not been successful in getting my refund of £85.99

Under The Financial Services Distant Regulation 2004, I have cancelled this policy within the required period, namely, the very next day. This was done via email through your website, aswell as an email via my hotmail account (see below), of which I have a copy in the “sent” folder.

Could you see this refund is within the next few days.

Any queries, you can contact me on xxxxx xxxxxxx.

I await your response.

Yours Faithfully

NameXXX

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, just an update to this fiasco, which i actually forgot about untill i got a call from one of the managers from Dial A Rod, this afternoon...after he/someone from the company had read this thread!!

I am surprised that they actually take time out to read these forums!

Anyway, i had eventually received a refund, after several phone calls...did not update here because i have been busy...but this gentleman asked me if i had received my refund, to which i stated yes.

After asking this question, his next question was, why i had written this piece on this forum, when i had received my refund!!!!

Because i did not like his roundabout way in asking the primary question second, we did get into a slight arguement. I am not the type to shy away from any type of justified arguement...especially

when i still have emails i sent to them and they will also have the recorded conversations on how many times they told me the refund was done, when it was not.

I did tell him, this piece was written BEFORE they decided to refund me. So i repeat, this piece was written BEFORE Dial A Rod refunded me, and NOTHING written after the refund.

Eventually we agreed to disagree somewhat, but apologised between us for any misunderstandings!

I don't think he had all the facts in front of him about the process i had to go through and WHY, to get my money back...so i did ask him to explain:

1- I sent them emails on cancellation of policy, the very next day..why did i not get a reply?

2- Sent letter/email to H/O..why i got no reply?

2- Why i was told initially my refund had been done

3- Why i had to phone back to find out NOTHING had been done because they now needed my debit card details to credit refund

4- Why i still had not received refund after phoning up again

5- Eventually rang again and received refund after it was REDONE again, but this time on a "authorised" refund card

6- Why i received no reply to any of my emails

7- Why nobody rang me back on two ocassions after telling me they would

The above is obviously the negative i felt after i bought this policy.

The positives are they do actually seem bothered about the negatives which having been outlined on this forum.

Cost of service they provide is cheaper then some of the others in this field.

Phone manner of the ladies taking the calls is pretty good (when it gets through).

The office manageress was very apologetic and polite, even though i was slightly fuming over consistantly being told my refund had been done.. (sorry lass :oops:)

Maybe it was an administration oversight, so K-------, i know you'll be reading this, if you can come back to me (you have my number) with answers to the above

questions as per our phone conversation...i don't mind updating and ending this thread on a positive...afterall, i am sure you would want everyone to know the truth,

and any mistake on my part, i readily stand to be corrected.

I await your call to answer the above facts K.................at which point this thread will be updated and concluded

Edited by markmarcos

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I didn't know you could do that!

To be honest, i did phone my bank, they said they could do nothing till the money actually leaves my account!!...so i phoned back again when the money had been taken out, she said it was to be dealt with by the banks Fraud Dept....i was told to write a letter of basic explanation & autharisation....they would then persue the money!

Maybe they should have told me about this chargeback procedure.

Anyway, as explained above, i did get my refund back from Dial A Rod.

Just waiting for this chap to get back to me with some sort of explanation as to why it took me several phone calls to get my money back and no communication initiation from them.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi i run a small plumbing and heating company, i carried out some repair work for dial a rod, now i am getting a similar run around for payment ie promised payments that never materlise it has been paid or it will be paid, it seems to me this companys policy is to give people the run around, so my belief is they have set up a insurance boiler cover, with no engineers of there own, then get local engineeers to do the work and not pay them, i see rogue traders are investigating them, people who take out insurance policys should do with reputable companies, not these ROGUES BEWARE, if its to good to be true , it usually is.

Edited by breakingbad

Send them a LBA.

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/wirral/countycourtindex.htm

Hi i run a small plumbing and heating company, i carried out some repair work for dial a rod, now i am getting a similar run around for payment ie promised payments that never materlise it has been paid or it will be paid, it seems to me this companys policy is to give people the run around, so my belief is they have set up a insurance boiler cover, with no engineers of there own, then get local engineeers to do the work and not pay them, i see rogue traders are investigating them, people who take out insurance policys should do with reputable companies, not these ROGUES BEWARE, if its to good to be true , it usually is.

I came across this thread today because I came across the Dial a Rod Website earlier and wanted to read some reviews about them before I made a decision to take out their boiler cover or not.

I have to say that I cam across 3 negative reviews (this being the last) and because of what I have read I will definitely not be taking out any services from them. I totally agree with your reason for asking for a refund. I want an immediate response and a reliable company to come to my rescue when/if my boiler breaks down and these guys sound like middlemen cowboys.

I will be (happily) paying a little extra with a local boiler repair service.

Thanks very much for taking the time to write this thread so as other people do not make the same mistake.

• 2 weeks later...
I came across this thread today because I came across the Dial a Rod Website earlier and wanted to read some reviews about them before I made a decision to take out their boiler cover or not.

I have to say that I cam across 3 negative reviews (this being the last) and because of what I have read I will definitely not be taking out any services from them. I totally agree with your reason for asking for a refund. I want an immediate response and a reliable company to come to my rescue when/if my boiler breaks down and these guys sound like middlemen cowboys.

I will be (happily) paying a little extra with a local boiler repair service.

Thanks very much for taking the time to write this thread so as other people do not make the same mistake.

Thats no problem, i have had to use the net for similar forums on many issues..and was also glad folk had time to write about their experiences.

Personally, i think your better off with DomGen (Domestic & General).

They have built a reputation they want to keep!

For the record, i did eventually get my money back. but was left short changed the way i got it.

Merry Xmas to all :-D

thanks for updating the thread

for those that use these forums

to get help on like issues

what method got the result

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Got an email from K himself which i feel is worth mentioning.

Like i stated earlier, it may have been an oversight on the customer service issue, i.e., my refund...but it is clearly self evident this company is not ruse.

Maybe it was a case of percipitation or possible perplexity to a new business model...but you have to take your hats off to any company that at the very least, causes the bigger players in this monopoly to rethink there pricing strategy to the benefit of the consumer.

I am always looking to move my business to those prepared to take on the bigger players.

Dial-a-Rod, in my opinion have the right business model, requiring now a level of discernment and sagacity to not portray semi skilled work practices leading to customer confusion.

Any attempt of such practices can lead to customer power taking the business down pdq, see links below of under hand tactics from HomeServe:

http://web.orange.co.uk/article/news/mis_selling_inquiry_hits_homeserve_value

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-24004191-pound-500m-wiped-off-homeserve-over-sales-scandal.do

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/oct/31/homeserve-suspends-sales-mis-selling-fears

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2055613/Home-cover-firm-Homeserve-dubbed-Britains-fifth-emergency-service-offers-refunds-mis-selling.html

Overall, after receiving contact regarding my issues and an apology..i can say that if someone from Dial-A-Rod came to me with a "Special Offer" after the initial mishap..i would take out this policy again.

The email to me today is self explanatory and i understand sometimes business under estimate the response they might receive, hence the problems. Email from K below:

"hi k here from dial a rod sorry i have not called you but i would like to respond to your points, firstly i would like to apologise for the way your refund was handled, but when we launched our boiler cover in july we had no idea we would have had such a massive response and was not prepared with our then phone system and number of staff to handle the calls and emails, we have now moved to a larger premises employed more staff to handle the sales calls and customer service calls with an upgraded phone system , i understand we have let a few people down and they like to write about there bad experiances on forums like this and that makes the service look bad we have many happy customers but unfortunatly forums don't like to publish good reviews as people only seem to like to read bad news.I hope this clears up the problem with the delay in your refund"

I am satisfied with their overall reponse, the clear and concise explanations and a transparent attempt to aknowledge and put right the mistakes.

Hopefully we can support this company to continue its business and excellent pricing, in a sector which one can call an important necessity in emergency call out.

All the best and K i await a "compensatory deal".....:wink:

:violin::violin::violin::violin::violin:

• 3 weeks later...

your story is very familar! Phoned Dial a Rod 17th January about leaking boiler and despite several phone calls to them since not one reply or any sign of an engineer.

How did you pay them? You may be able to reclaim costs from the card company even if it was a debit card. Whatever you do make sure they have no further access to your account.

Total ****** company.

If this is true and their problems are purely administrative why do the problems persist and why do they continue taking more business if they cannot cope with demand???????

I am still being given the runaround over a leaking boiler, time I cannot afford given the nature of the problem. To say they are unprofessional is being polite!!!!!!!!!!!!

You meet scheisters in life and I have no doubt this company is run by crooks. Stuff my payment I want to make sure their bad service costs them a whole lot more.

Edited by honeybee13
problem word. Substituted 'bad service'.

Hi All

Dial a rod, what a joke, i had no hot water for 5 days, 1st day phoned them, we will send someone out, no-one turned up, 2nd day phone, because i have only made 2 payments by dd, i had to pay the rest, so paid my card, we will send someone out, no turned up, 3rd day, phoned was told i had to pay in full, told the lady that ive done that, she checked with someone else, ok what the make of you boiler, told the lady someone will be with you hopefully today, funny no-one did, 4th day phoned, we are looking for a engineer in your area, ( i could find one in 2mins) 5th day we are still looking for an engineer, told them name of 2 people, also said that i could not make the friday, that was 3 weeks ago.

if you pay peanuts you get dail a rod.

so i have paid a full years breakdown cover for nothing.

would anyone know if dail a rod is covered with the fsa? breakdown cover/insurance.

DAIL A ROD any chance of a refund? and sorry??

cheers

rob

Send the a preliminary letter by recorded delivery demanding a refund as they are in breach of contract. If they fail to refund, send a letter before action and then sue them

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

i hope people sort this out....

but for a cheap price you shouldnt be expecting much more than your getting.

Maybe so but the fact they are cheaper should not negate the fact that they are CONTRACTED to provide a service. It should not be about the money anyway

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Maybe so but the fact they are cheaper should not negate the fact that they are CONTRACTED to provide a service. It should not be about the money anyway

of course its about the money. you pay for what you get.....

is the have broken the contract, demand full refund, if nothing start a small claims.... very doubtful they will fight it.

they will either settle, or you win by default :)

I've got a great idea for making money and there's very little fallout except a few irate customers but it should make millions of pounds.

Think of something for which you offer an annual service contract. Let's say BOILER maintenance.

Obviously some people will make a claim but probably not as many as you think so shall we say as many as 4 out of 10 do require a callout at some stage during the term of the contract.

Some you may convince are not covered by the terms of the contract and the others you simply give the runaround until they give up and go elsewhere. But there will always be one who will get to the stage of instigating legal proceedings so you nip it in the bud and refund their premiums.

So that's 9 out 10 premiums pocketed all for the cost of offering a 24 hr phone line and everybody's happy, well almost; I certainly will be.

Now what shall we call our new Company? How about DIAL A ROD?

Doesn't really matter there's plenty out there to chose from :(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I took out a policy with Dial A Rod for my property portfolio and was given assurances by their telesales, sales rep at a property show and a friend of mine had used them, well what a big mistake, completely un-professional & very rude staff, all they are interested in is taking your money, well a little tip, if you pay by direct debit, under the direct debit rules, they, Dial A Rod, should send you a schedule of date and amount of payments they will be taking before they start taking payments, but D A R being un-professional didn't so you can claim under the indemity liability from your bank and you will get back all your money within 48 business hours.

Cheers & hope the above works for you, I now use British Gas

I also took out their Boiler Breakdown cover (they won't call it insurance!) and what a waste of time it was. My policy started in Dec-11 and last week I tried to make a claim and I was given the run around. I spent several days chasing them and being promised an engineer but nothing happened except very rude staff who didn't care at all and don't have any customer skills whatsoever. In the end I had to get my own engineer to fix the fault and will be cancelling my direct debits to this stupid outfit. Be warned. Do not use them.