Claim on buildings insurance for bathroom / kitchen .. refusing to pay for matching units

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4557 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Evening all!

I'll try to keep this short :-)

Several weeks ago the floor began to collapse in the bathroom of my flat. It turns out that 2 leaks (1 in bathroom and 1 in adjacent kitchen) had weekened the floor (rotted boards/joists) and caused it to sink .. taking the loo/bath with it. The stud wall in between bathroom/neighbour along with a significant portion of kitchen cabinets were rotten too and fell apart on removal.

Insurance company are coming back to me and saying they'll pay for 50% of the kitchen (in their opinion the damaged portion), they won't pay for a new sink even though buy replacing toilet/bath it now means the sink is horrible and doesn't match and they're also not agreeing to pay for the stud wall in between flats to be repaired properly with fireproof plasterboard.

The Insurer is Ageas.

Where do I stand re: matching items with such a claim? Surely the point of insurance is to restore you to the point you were at before the problem occurred. I'm going to be left with a non matching kitchen and bathroom - not how it was before. I'm already down £700 in excesses so where to go? Is it worth challenging?

Thanks!

Monty

The majority of policies if not all will have a matching items clause, some insurers also selling matching items cover in full as an extra.

If you were to take this to the FOS they will normally ask the insurer to pay 50% of the undamaged area's- so for example you get 50% already agreed for the kitchen and a further 50% of the undamaged half (25% of the kitchen in your case).

I've not known the FOS to budge on this, it's worth the fight though even for the other bit.

Thanks for the reply!

...I don't expect them to pay the lot, but 50% of the undamaged would be a massive help.

Is there any case history online that I can use to back up this argument? Or will threatening the FOS being enough?

Cheers!

M