Am I legally banned/can I return to the shop without being removed?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3431 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all.

I posted a while ago about a shoplifting allegation which was passed against me. I had all my previous questions answered, so thanks for that.

However I now have a new concern. My sister wants to go shopping with me in the area where the shop I am banned from is. She wants to go in that particular shop (she does not know I am banned, and it is not an option for me to tell her).

Can I go back into the shop? It is a VERY large shop and the incident was 3/4 months ago now, would this affect my chances of being recognised? Also, I did not sign a banning notice or anything apart from the police officer's notes. Does this mean I am not legally banned? They did not take my photo. All I received was a letter from RLP - I have read elsewhere that in order to be banned, one must have signed a notice and have a copy of that notice. However I have not and I do not.

I have no intention of EVER shoplifting again, I just want to go shopping with my sister.

Thanks.

Hi, retail premises are private property, and they can ban anyone they like. Some retailers will give a banning order or letter, and may ask people stopped for shoplifting to sign these, but they are not mandatory. They can and often do simply tell people that they are banned and not welcome there any more.

As to will you be recognised?, well that would depend on the people who banned you, if they are still working there, and if they have a good memory. I work for a retail chain store, and I remember some people from several years ago. The cctv system may have a video printer, so they can make a still photo from that at the time. I always print photos of shoplifters, and these are attached to an incident report, and kept in a file for future reference.

You could always try to change your appearance, a different hairstyle can make a huge difference. Sorry if it's not what you hoped to hear.

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Surely though they cannot prove I am banned if I didn't sign a form or anything? But is it likely that they will still stop me? I heard that they only stop you if you're acting suspicious, and that if they do catch you and you're banned they will then take you to court. But believe me I'm only going to shop there, just a nice day out with my sister. Is it still likely that they'll stop me and ask? My 'friend' who was banned at the same time as me went back into the shop about a month after the incident and was not seen or asked to leave, so that kind of makes me think that they won't bother - but correct me if I'm wrong!

If you caught shoplift and banned their store is their right to banned you enter the premised.

The banned notice is up to 1 year or life banned too. You have the right to appeal to the shop or supermarket for this.

I hope this information is usefully

Iain

Iaintw is a registered customer services official/profit Protection staff/supermarket worker and who deals with customers

Buying laptops with advice etc

ISP Moderator and chat room helper for chats

Aviationist and train advice

Credit references and bank helper advice

Loss Protection (civil recovery)

by writing a letter to their headquaters

they wanted to have the store address

the manager who places the store banned against you

the police (Under data protection act you have the right to have subject to access report from the police.)

Iaintw is a registered customer services official/profit Protection staff/supermarket worker and who deals with customers

sorry for my spellings and grammar

what i said see the post i give you

cheers

If you get stuck on something let me know i wanted to know the store name that you be banned from?

every single supermarket or shop have a different policy on shoplifting. Did you ask for the police or the store why you going to place a banned against you its your right. But did u have a civil recovery action against you?

Thats why their are keeping a eye on you and your friend thats why their alerted the radio (shopwatch)

they would not even recognise you

forget about the ban

just shop

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

can you tell me how old are you? if shops can recoised the cctv and it will be on cctv file which shops do have. they can have a look what you are doing . thats why shopwatch is operating in your area

Iain

supermarket worker > profit protection

Thanks dx100uk!

But if worst comes to worst and they do recognise me and stop me, can I just say they haven't banned me because I didn't sign anything? And if I do say this, will they let me go?

Assuming, in the very unlikely event they a) recognise you b) remember you are 'banned' , all that will happen is they will politely ask you to leave.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

thread is from 2012!

you could have gone back at any time.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

hi dx100 uk... iam new at this forum and i just need some advice.. and i dont know where to post my question..but yesterday 23 october 2014 i was banned from a aldi store because one of the staff have personal issues with me...is that legal? what can i do?

any preemies can ban anyone

if you go back you 'could' be arrested for trespass.

if its simply onemember of staff

goto the manager or area manager and complain.

if you click the link I sent

start a new thread

you can start you own thread

dx

and they

Are these issues really personal and therefore nothing to do with the store itself? I bet that individual doesnt have the authority to ban you, just ask you to leave on that occasion. Ask for an answer in writing from Aldi head office and if things are as you say it might be worthwhile telling Aldi HO that their response may well be made public if it is irrational for a business to make.

any preemies can ban anyone

if you go back you 'could' be arrested for trespass.

if its simply onemember of staff

goto the manager or area manager and complain.

if you click the link I sent

start a new thread

you can start you own thread

dx

There is a criminal offence of "aggravated trespass".

However, most trespass remains a civil tort, rather than a criminal offence.

Why do you believe the OP can be arrested? (Provided, of course, that they weren't asked to leave in the presence of a police officer, & then declined to leave, risking there being a breach of the peace ........)

yes thanks baz wrong word ofcourse

whatever the inhouse people do..

and they

• 1 month later...
Politely ask you to leave?

Then remind you that you are a trespasser, and they will use force to remove you if you don't leave sharpish.

Then use said force to remove you.

When you stand (now outside the store) how your human rights have been hurt, how you are going to sue, and how wrong the security staff are, and that you are going to complain about your harsh treatment.

Or you could really hurt them, by taking your hard earned cash elsewhere.