eVan insurance trying to charge an additional £770 as refusing NCD

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4551 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

My boyfriend recently purchased a new van and insured it using eVan. He obtained the initial quote through a van insurance comparison site and whilst at the dealers showroom he phoned them to confirm and arranged everything by phone.

The documents arrived a couple of days later with a request for a copy of his drivers licence and No Claims Discount. This is when the issues started and I decided to look for reviews online and was very worried by what I saw. It seems as though this company does what it can to charge additional fees / premiums after the policy has already been confirmed and paid for.

It took a while to get the copy drivers licence to them as I didn't realise they wanted a copy of the back of the photo licence as well. They sent a rather strong letter informing him that if he didn't get it to them then the policy would be cancelled and he may have difficulties getting insurance in the future and his premiums might be higher. We got the document to them and that was resolved.

Meanwhile he had asked the previous insurer to send the proof of NCD to eVan which they assure him they faxed across. They claimed this did not arrive (having read reviews it seems this is common) and sent a similar letter to that referring to the licence. The company sent it again and it still didn't arrived. We therefore got them to fax it to me so that I could scan and email it to them. They then confirmed receipt.

We hoped that everything was now ok, but this is when the real clanger arrived. They have now emailed my boyfriend to say that on review of the NCD they have noticed a discrepancy against the information entered at inception of the policy as the NCD related to a car. They have therefore reduced the NCD to 0 years and requested a further £770. If this isn't paid within 14 days then the policy will be cancelled. He will need to inform all future insurers of this and risk being refused cover or incurring much higher premiums.

We have since checked their website and it does state that car NCD cannot be used. However, my boyfriend had not previously referred to their website. As mentioned earlier the initial quote was from a compare website which doesn't make any reference to whether NCD relates to a van or a different vehicle. He then called the number provided on the compare website. When speaking to eVan and confirming details, at no time did they state that the NCD must relate to a van and didn't ask what the NCD related to. Further to this the insurance documents which confirm the policy and details include the following on the statement of information page:

NCD on your private car or motorcycle: 5 or more

Surely if they have stated this on the insurance document they cannot now request a further premium because it doesn't relate to a van???

Can anybody suggest what we should now do? Can we request that the policy be cancelled and receive a refund? Should they now keep the insurance in place without charging the additional premium?

We are now very wary of this company and would prefer to cancel the policy and go elsewhere as the next cheapest quote was only a few pounds cheaper and was from a reputable company. However, from the reviews we have read, I'm not sure they would provide a full refund and it would probably take a long time and a lot of arguing in order to receive the refund.

We have one potential solution as my boyfriend has NCD that has accrued on a seperate van policy so he could just use this. However, the car NCD is 2 years old so he would prefer to use this now so that he doesn't lose it. Should we just cut our losses and use the alternative NCD? Reluctant to do so as I feel that this company sets out to find excuses to charge more after the policy has been entered into and leaving little way out and I dread to think what would happen if there was a claim on the policy!

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Edited by Freckles8

E Van Insurance and the other Brightside group companies have a terrible reputation. Just do your research for Ecar and Evan online to see the reviews.

If you arranged cover on the phone and it was clear you were using Car Insurance NCD, then they are in the wrong. Also if the comparison site did not clarify this issue, then E Van should honour the NCD, if the requirement for van Insurance NCD was not made to you by the E Van staff. When Insurers sign up to comparison sites, the comparison site is part of the sales process.

Find out their complaints process and get a complaint registered. While the complaint is ongoing regarding the NCD issue and the extra £700, they should put on hold on any processes to cancel the policy. They can be quick to cancel policies and don't always appear to advise people.

See this. Try the local number at the bottom of the page, as the other number is premium rate. Ask for a complaint handler name and direct telephone number. http://www.evaninsurance.co.uk/contact.php

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread