Insurance advice needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4594 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm new in my dealing with insurance companies and not sure if I'm on the right track.

I had a massive leak which damaged most of my house, the kitchen was completely destroyed.

Now the builders that are working for the insurance company keep trying to charge us for extra works which is fine but his quotes are 70% more than quotes I got from local firms. I went with the local firms and I think this has ****ed him off.

The house is being redecorated and each thing we feel needs repair is a fight every time.

In terms of the kitchen, they are not willing to tell me what they valued my original kitchen at, nor is the price of the new kitchen available and nor is the cost of the replacement appliances. Basically I feel it’s my right to be told this information especially as they are trying to charge me an extra 3k for going over budget when they won't even tell me what they budget is. Considering the quotes I received for other works in the house I feel they have stuck another 70% on top.

Now I am insisting he give me the price and full budget but I feel I'm being fobbed off, It is my right to be given this info, is that right? I understand the guy has overheads but I feel that I’m being ripped off.

Many thanks

Have you asked your insures?

They have appointed the builder, have they not?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Many times and the request keeps getting ingored and he'll try and distract me with other things or he's busy. I'm no push over and I will continue to insist I am given this information.

I do have a right to this information don't I?

Yes he is employed by the insurance company.

What are the extras he's adding on for, are they not covered under the policy?

i know you said youve asked and been ignored, but do you mean youve asked the builder or rang the insurers and they are ignoring your request?

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

The director of the building firm who work for the loss adjusters.

There are extra's that might not be covered, I do not expect to get things for free but I'm not being told how much these extra's will cost, nor the overall budget for the kicthen. I was told that if I did want extra's and the kictchen came in under budget that I could have them included. I'm sure I could get better applicances else where cheaper and will do this but they are relucant to tell me the cost that they are being charged for them.

You really need to speak to your insurance company, not loss adjusters or builders, they are usually appointed by the insurance company but it is the insurance company who will be paying them.

DO NOT agree to any extras without a written quotation for the extra work they are doing, including the price.

You realy need to be clear about the 'extras' the insurers will not pay for betterment.

If you are asking for things that are not included in the rebuild then he must give you a qoute/price.

No the insurance company/ builder do not have to give the total cost as it is an agreement between them.

You could have employed your own builder and submitted the costs, then you would have complete contol of the budget, or employed a loss assessor who would have agreed costs on your behalf with the adjuster.