URGENT HELP - Back Dating Insurance?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4601 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi AllI am in need of some helpI have been insured with Admiral for a few years and upon renewal I wrote to them to notify of a change of address and Car (bought myself a cheap run around as we had moved away from the train station I use)A week before renewal I wrote to tell them of a change of address and new carI got pulled over by the police for being on my phone (I was checking email in a traffic jam!)They checked if I had insurance on the car and it came back as not being insuredI called Admiral and they changed the details but would not back date it as they had not received the new detailsThey said it was my responsibility to check that they had received the details (I'm old fashioned and wrote in!)I know technically this is the case but this now means I will be prosecuted for driving without insurance...cue insurance going up massively and getting 9 points?!AARRGGGHHCan anyone help with this?

Lesson is not to write to companies to inform of important changes. Most Insurers don't scan the post into their systems. It is just bundled up into batches and given out for staff to deal with, with no record of individual letters received or files set up. So unless you sent the letter by recorded delivery, you have no proof that Admiral ever received the letter.

Check your policy wording to see if it allows you to write to them informing of a change of address and car. It may say that you have to phone them about such changes.

Once you have checked the wording, if it does not say that you cannot write to them to make such changes, give Admiral customer services a call to register a complaint. Advise them of the situation and ask them to search for the letter. If they find the letter they may be prepared to backdate the changes, to the date the letter was received.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks UncleI checked on the documentation and it states that if there are any changes, then to call an 0844 number.........

I don't think you can change the address and car on the Insurance, by writing to most Insurers. The companies I have worked for might consider changing the address, but even then, they would have to assume certain information e.g,. car garaged, kept on drive. BUT changing the car would be even more difficult, as they would have to consider many aspects. What if they could not Insure the new car or could not identify the exact model from the info supplied. I suspect that most companies receiving such a letter would try to phone their policyholder to run through the info and advise of any policy/premium changes.

Still suggest that you take it up with Admiral to see if they can find the letter and consider backdating the changes to the date the letter was received.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thanks uncleI looked at the information that was on the policy doument and told them the new info - ie. engine size/garaged/mileage etcNot sure if that would make a difference

That is a discussion you need to have with Admiral, as it is up to them whether they consider the info supplied to be adequate and whether they are willing to backdate the cover. I suspect that if you were a VIP, they would probably bend over backwards to try to help, but for most people, they might not bother to help too much. It is up to you to charm them into finding the letter and then to make the changes from the date the letter was received.