Neighbour reversed into me now refuses to provide details

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4601 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I recently parked my car to load it up with rubbush for the recycle centre. As I got out of the car my neighbour reversed back and damaged the back of my car. He admitted liability and said we would sort it out.I then went on holidays and on my return asked for his insurance details, he said he would look. I left it a couple of weeks and asked again at which point he said he couldnt find the details?? then the conversation went along the lines that I wasnt insured because I was on double yellow, which I replied was total crap. Our conversation ended with him telling me I wont get a penny and I have left it too long to claim.I contacted my insurance company and they tell me without his registration details their hands are tied and to contact the police for assistance. I have done so but the police say exactly the same, without the registraion details they cannot do anything.I havent seen the van since and would suspect it could be his work companies van. Another hope I had is that my friend was there on both occasions when the incident happened and the conversation with him suggesting I was in the wrong because I was on double yellow. The police say unless my friend knows the reg. details that having a witness is of no benefit. I cant believe even having a witness is of no benefit.Can anyone advise me what to do next if anything, its such a frustration as I stupidly felt that my neighbour of 6 years wouldnt behave like this. Any advice would be greatly appreaciated, even if its to state that I was completely naieve and stupid not to detail the reg. at the time of the incident.

I can't think of an easy or ideal way of dealing with this, unless you can find out the reg no. for the van. Perhaps he should not have had the van at his home address or he was not insured to drive it on the day in question, so does not want to help you. You could stitch him up or try to, by finding out his employers details and write to the HR Manager or MD of the business stating what happened. Ask them for the reg no. of the van that was allocated to him on the date of the accident and the details of the Insurance. In the unlikely event they provided the information, you could then make a claim direct with the relevant Insurers.

If you can't get the reg no or Insurance details, if you have comprehensive cover, you will have to consider whether you need to claim against your own policy. Obviously consider any loss of NCD, the excess and future premium increases.

Alternatively obtain some legal advice about making a small court claim against the neighbour. If you have an independent witness that might help you. Before you take such action, you would need to send the neighbour a letter before action enclosing an estimate for the repairs and giving them 21 days to pay the amount or you will issue court proceedings against them. In the letter, advise them to pass on the letter to their Insurers, as this will be a requirement of his Insurers.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Have you had your car repaired?

Have you the invoice for the repairs?

Regardless of what the neighbour and plod say you are well within your rights to claim damages back from him, if you go through the small claims track.

Write to the belligerent fool with a copy of the cost of repairs, state that you will be happy to accept his proposals for repayment, failure to do so, by a certain date (give him a month or six weeks) will result in you seeking further legal advice with a view to pursue the matter through the courts.

If after you have sent the fool this letter, which I would recommend you send via recorded delivery, and he fails to reply, then send him a Letter Before Action (LBA) outlining exactly what will happen if he fails to repay you the money he owes.

This will be the form of a small claims court, with costs and interest added.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Write to him and request his reg and insurance details.

Point out that failure to provide details is a criminal offence pursuant to S.154 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

You gotta ask yourself why plod didn't suggest this? Not a revenue earner for them clearly!

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!