style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4585 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Re: Council Tax and Jacobs

Hello,

We already asked the council to take back the debt, but they refused.

Jacobs asked for a monthly expenditure list so we could come to an agreed payment plan. We sent it recorded delivery and offered them £50 per month, as thats all we can afford, and even thats pushing it.

Despite seeing that we can't afford more than £50 pm, Jacobs have replied saying they want a minimum of £100 per month, and this amount is non-negotiable.

Are there any options left open to us, as we cannot afford £100 pm. Should I write back to Jacobs restating our £50 pm offer is the maximum and if they refuse to accept that offer we will have no option but to wait until the debt is recalled by the council, and make repayments to the council instead? I'm not bothered about visits and letters because I know the drill - don't let 'em in etc.

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice.

.......I'm not bothered about visits and letters because I know the drill - don't let 'em in etc....

That's the funniest and most satisfying statement I've read in a while.

This is an indication that the word is getting around as to the effectiveness of these council appointed bailiffs.

You said the council refused to take the debt back, this is meaningless as far as I can see. All you need to do is pay them regardless. Use internet banking, pay online, any method that pays directly into their account.

The most important thing to watch out for – besides letting them in as you already know – is to keep them from levying on items outside your property, vehicle etc. They will most probably levy on a vehicle that doesn't belong to you, (and without your knowledge) but this is of no consequence to you as any charges can be ignored/disputed now you're aware of it.

Others will advise further.

There's a few things I forgot to ask. Can they take a car that has finance still owing on it? Can they take a car that is registered to another person but parked at the debtors house? And finally, even though the council fobbed us off saying the debt is with Jacobs now, is there a way to just start making payments direct to the council online and bypass the bailff altogether? And if so how?

Again thanks for any help offered :)

EDIT: Thanks outlawla, I must have been writing my follow up as you replied as you covered some of the questions I asked :)

no.

no.

use the details on the reverse of the correct ctax bill

tell us a bit more about this.

i bet you've been had for unlawful fees

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thanks dx100uk. Thats what I suspected re: cars and finance. I will have to dig out the original c/t bill to set up online payments, but in the meantime (and if online payment isn't an option) should we re-submit an offer in writing to Jacobs for £50 pm and state thats non-negotiable to them! Its just that they want a first payment of £100 by Monday (we can't afford that much), so that only leaves us tomorrow to get another recorded delivery letter sent off in time. As for their fees, I think they've only added on one fee for their first visit.

There's a few things I forgot to ask. Can they take a car that has finance still owing on it? Depends what type of finance it is Can they take a car that is registered to another person but parked at the debtors house? As long as this is a separate 3rd party - No - although it will not stop them as they are allowed to assume it may be yours, but face that if & when it happens. And finally, even though the council fobbed us off saying the debt is with Jacobs now, is there a way to just start making payments direct to the council online and bypass the bailff altogether? And if so how? You may pay the Council direct via internet banking, the Council website, the Council automated phone line & you can even take it in cash to the Council office where refgardless they are obliged to accept it - if not you take the name of the person and report them for refusing to take payment. You may have to allow for some Bailiff fees if you do any of this - max fee payable £42-50 providing he does not make a levy of any description.

Again thanks for any help offered :)

EDIT: Thanks outlawla, I must have been writing my follow up as you replied as you covered some of the questions I asked :)

Do you have Jacobs refusal in writing? If so contact your local Councillor(s) and explain to them, any refusal or reluctance you go over their head to the Leader of the Council and his opposite number.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes, we just received the letter today stating their refusal to accept our offer. They said its non-negotiable and we have until monday to make the first payment.

That may well come in handy when you send a Formal Complaint to the council CEO, and leader, as they are supposed to take account of what a debtor can reasonably afford, as per an IOS

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

That may well come in handy when you send a Formal Complaint to the council CEO, and leader, as they are supposed to take account of what a debtor can reasonably afford, as per an IOS

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is IOS?

I will write a letter of complaint to the council CEO tomorrow and attach a copy of the bailiffs refusal letter. Should I ask the council to either recall the debt so I can pay them direct, or ask the council to instruct Jacobs to accept our offer?

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is IOS?

I will write a letter of complaint to the council CEO tomorrow and attach a copy of the bailiffs refusal letter. Should I ask the council to either recall the debt so I can pay them direct, or ask the council to instruct Jacobs to accept our offer?

Sorry, I should have put Income and Expenditure Sheet, a list of your ougoings and income, ang the amount left after priorities are paid they are supposed to take it into account, but in their greed they will ignore it and ramp up the pressure sending many people into the arms of loan sharks to get money to pay the bailiffs outrageous demands.

As you know the pack drill so the bailiff will be out of luck with you.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!