• Tweets

• If a DCA supplies a reconstituted copy of the CCA what would be the next step. It seems that a reconstituted copy must be a " true copy " of the executed agreement, it must contain the Prescribed Terms. But given that there is no copy of the applicants signature surely it could be an agreement form with the details filled in. How can it be assumed that this " copy " represents a true copy that the claimant has supposed to have signed. Cabot have demonstrated a bit of sabre rattling when they say "Until we're able to provide this information , your account is unenforceable. This means we're not permitted to obtain a County Court judgement against you . Whilst we cannot pursue legal action, your balance remains outstanding ". I looked up a case... Cabot UK Ltd  v  Bachellier (2010) which might help, but it's tough reading, I'd prefer to plough through War and Peace. This particular case with Cabot is not huge , approx' £140, but the only other worry that I have is also with Cabot...£2100. They may try to make a point with lesser case.        
    • you'll never find a court open on a w/end MB. all courts are closed Good Friday and Bank Holiday Monday. However as Andy points out, that does NOT mean you get 2 extra days to file, you get one, same as xmas/new Year. UKPC have not filed their, so no rush on yours as dave says.  
    • Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed some of the worst tendencies in British politics”. “The only way to think about it is as a psychodrama enacted, for the most part, by a small group of middle-aged men who went to élite private schools, studied at the University of Oxford, and have been climbing and chucking one another off the ladder of British public life" Top US magazine slams Britain after 14 years of Tory ‘psychodrama’ WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK The New Yorker’s excoriating report on the state of the UK lays bare how Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union (EU) “catalysed...  
    • UK travellers are being caught out by post-Brexit passport rules.   When do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule? WWW.BBC.COM UK travellers have been turned away at airports because their passports are not valid for EU travel.                                   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Insurance Claim question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4576 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I made a claim with my insurance company 3 and a half weeks ago because my car was set on fire while being inspected for repair in a garage. The police have been and are conducting enquiries. Meanwhile my insurer has advised that my case has been passed to their verification department, indicating that they *may* pursue the garage for this claim.

My question is this: will the dispute between the garage and my insurer have to be settled before they will agree a settlement on my claim?

Hi,

I made a claim with my insurance company 3 and a half weeks ago because my car was set on fire while being inspected for repair in a garage. The police have been and are conducting enquiries. Meanwhile my insurer has advised that my case has been passed to their verification department, indicating that they *may* pursue the garage for this claim.

My question is this: will the dispute between the garage and my insurer have to be settled before they will agree a settlement on my claim?

No, your Insurers should deal with the fire claim under your policy and then try to reclaim any outlay from the garage. BUT there may be a delay while your Insurers find out what happened. There shouldn't really be any delay, as you have fire cover under the policy, so there is no reason for Insurers to await police reports etc. But the Insurers often want to obtain such reports before they proceed. Up to you to question any delays, if this happens.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks. Do you think my insurer may try to reduce my settlement amount from its Market value on the premise that it was in for repair?

Depends. I suspect that the Insurers will consider the condition of the car at the time of the loss, when they calculate the market value. It is up to you to check the calculation that the Insurers come up with and to challenge if necessary.

Read through the FOS notes on this.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/motor-valuation.html

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Having just concluded my interview, my insurers were definitely more interested in the condition of my car than anything else. At the time of the fire, the car's engine was dismantled to a degree because of the inspection required, in order to establish the problem. I was advised by my engineer that I could opt for a quick fix, but he also recommended sourcing a new engine with much lower mileage to prolong the longevity of the car. In my interview, my insurer asked me to provide: any spare keys, a copy of the MOT, my sales invoice from the dealer showing the purchase price, my driving license, the car's log book.

So, two questions: does all of this sound in order? And can the assessor insist that the settlement should be based on my car needing a new engine, or can I challenge this by claiming that I had the option of a quick fix? It is a ten year old car.

I'm also confused as to why my insurer can base a settlement based on current condition (ie dismantled) when I drove (a fully operative vehicle) to the garage for an inspection.

For a 10 year old car, the engine will be a significant part of the value of the car, so its condition prior to the fire is very relevant. If the Insurers are advised by the garage that the engine had major problems and needed replacement, then you might be offered a very low settlement. On the other hand, if the garage advised that the engine was stripped down to look for a problem, but the engine was working prior to it going into the garage, you might be offered a better settlement.

I am not sure whether speaking to the garages manager would be a good idea or not. The Insurers may have made enquiries already with them about the condition of the car and how the car came to be damaged in their care. If there was any negligence on the part of the garage, then you speaking to them might cause a problem, if you or the Insurers were to take legal action against them. It is possible that in the event of you being unable to replace the car using the Insurers settlement, that you might want to take legal action (small court claim )against the garage. If the fire looks like a case of negligence, on the balance of probability, I would have thought you would have a reasonable chance of success with such action. Having said this, you don't say how the car came to be set on fire. Did the garage have a break in ? Were other cars also set on fire ? If it was just your car, could a mistake by the garage be the cause of the fire ?

As for the interview and requesting of documents, this sounds like it was normal.

Edited by unclebulgaria67

It is certainly negligence on the part of the garage since it was parked outside of their yard unlocked when it was set on fire (my car was the only one set on fire). Which means that my insurer will most probably try to claim from their insurance. And this obviously means that it is in the garage's interest to devalue the car as much as possible to make the claim against them less significant.

Edited by WeeRascal

It is certainly negligence on the part of the garage since it was parked outside of their yard unlocked when it was set on fire (my car was the only one set on fire). Which means that my insurer will most probably try to claim from their insurance. And this obviously means that it is in the garage's interest to devalue the car as much as possible to make the claim against them less significant.

See how the claim goes. You might be faced with having to consider legal action against the garage for the difference in value between the Insurers settlement and the cost of replacing the car, any excess for fire claims, plus any reasonable costs you have incurred as a result of not having a car. If you have any legal cover under your Car Insurance, you should speak to them about this. Sometimes the Insurers legal expenses is just part of the Insurers claims unit, so they can be quite dismissive of people wanting to take action, unless they can make money from the situation. If this is the case, you might have to consider taking your own action.

Thanks. I guess I also have the option to challenge the claim and take it up with the FOS...

Yes providing you don't mind waiting. Insurers have 2 months to deal with any complaint before you can go to the FOS. The FOS are currently taking 6 months or more to look at most complaints.

It is now a week and a day since my interview with my Insurer, at which point they said a letter would be sent asking for specific items such as MOT etc noted above. I have not received any letter and I am now into my 6th week of no settlement since my claim. To say this is frustrating would be a huge understatement. Is there anything I can do to get them to speed up the process? Would a letter from my lawyer help?

Up to you whether you mind paying a solicitor a fee for sending a letter. Not sure what they would say to speed matters up. The claim is not exactly that straightforward, so would be expected to take longer.

Just give them a phone call Monday to chase up. You might as well just send in the information they need by recorded delivery letter.