Home Insurance disclosure question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4619 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Got a quote for home insurance a little while ago. Really want to go with this provider for price/coverage.

Yesterday my partners bike was pinched from where it was locked up at the side of the house.

Its really old, worth peanuts (50 quid maybe) and i have no intention of claiming for it on my current policy

Against my advice however she reported this theft to the police and got a crime ref number, just as a reaction in anger i suppose. She has no intention of claiming for it either.

Problem is I've now gone to accept the quote I've had for my new Contents insurance and notice a question about whether there have been any "household losses" in the last six years, claimed for on insurance or otherwise.

If i tick yes even on a value of 50 quid the premium goes up over 100 pounds a year.

Any thoughts on whether this will apply to the reported theft of this 50 quid rustbucket or can i safely leave it unchecked

thanks

Technically it is a loss and should be advised to the Insurers. The problem is that now it has been reported to the Police, if you suffered another theft loss, this could be noted on any Police report provided to Insurers. The Insurers could then turn around and reject the claim on the basis that you did not inform them of the previous loss. Insurance is a risk business and the previous loss is relevant.

What you could do is phone the Insurers to check about this. Sometimes the way internet quotes work in regard to such losses can be quite crude and you might not see such an increase if you arranged the policy by phone.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread