Utility Warehouse - extortionate & threatening billing practices

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1866 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had an ongoing nightmare with Utility Warehouse (which I was astonished to see that 'Which' magazine had given good ratings to!) ever since I first moved to my current flat at the end of April 2011. UW were already in place as the supplier but I planned to transfer so as to remain with my then-current supplier from my previous address, Npower.

My very first contact from UW was an aggressive letter demanding a £200 deposit as of the date I received the letter, or they would install a pre-payment meter. I have always paid my utilities by direct debit and never been required by any utility company to pay an advance deposit. I wrote back to UW and said that I would have supplied them with my direct debit details in lieu of the deposit, but was in the process of transferring my energy provision to my preferred supplier so instead wished to request a final bill from UW which I would pay by cheque or bank transfer.

I then I received an extraordinarily high bill from UW, which upon examination was based on me having supposedly moved to the property over two weeks before I took over the tenancy, and based on estimated meter readings rather than those supplied to them by the property management company. I sent them the correct date at which I moved to the flat along with correct meter readings and asked that they send me an updated and corrected bill as soon as possible. (UW's overestimates regularly range from 3x to 10x to 50x HIGHER than my actual usage as shown on the meters).

They replied that their bills were automated and that they could not send me a corrected bill, but that the correct figures would be shown in my bill the following month.

I then received another letter from UW demanding payment of the earlier bill based on false readings and false entry date. When I contacted UW again, I was told that this letter was 'automatically generated'. However it appeared that the corrected details had NOT been entered into their system.

The following month I finally did receive a bill with roughly the correct billing readings, but including a £6 'late fee'.

I wrote to them again and said that as I had been requesting an updated bill from them for over a month but had not been sent one, I was clearly not 'late', but that their systems had caused the delay.

I received a letter saying that the £6 would now be waived - without an apology, but as a 'courtesy'.

Meanwhile in addition to all this, in trying to change providers, there followed over 2 months of hassle with UW which finally resulted in my supplies being transferred to Npower early in July - only for the gas only to be transferred back to UW, without notifying me, on the 28th of July! Npower claimed that they had been given the wrong gas meter serial point number by UW and so had not been able to take over the gas supply.

I THEN RECEIVED ANOTHER BILL BASED ON USAGES OVER10X MY ACTUAL READINGS. Along with this, I received a Final Demand notice for the sum which was on the original false bill. I wrote to them again and was told that their readings were correct and 'based on information supplied by Npower'. When I pointed out that Npower had never actually taken over supply of gas and had only based their electricity figures on estimates, UW replied that I had to 'take that up with Npower'. I have now written to Npower to ask them to tell UW the correct reading, based on my readings which UW refuses to accept from me. This is despite the fact that I have provided PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE that the readings they are using are impossible, as the meter reading as of today's date is nowhere near as high as that stated on their bill.

The matter has now been sent to a debt collection agency called Utility Debt Collectors Ltd. which I assume may be affiliated with UW. I have contacted the debt collector to say that the amount on the bill is currently in dispute, that I have been taking regular readings of both gas and electricity usage, that I HAVE MADE REGULAR PAYMENTS FOR ALL THE SUPPLY I HAVE ACTUALLY USED, and that I have submitted not only regular accurate readings of the meters but also PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE showing readings, including holding a newspaper with dated headline up to the meter to prove date it was taken. However, UW continue to bill me for estimated readings that, as of July, were estimated at HIGHER READINGS THAN THOSE CURRENTLY SHOWING NOW ON THE METERS IN AUGUST. As meters cannot run backwards, this is concrete proof that their readings continue to be wrong. They have not yet sent a meter reader to inspect the meters.

In addition to many letters to UW, I have now written to the Data Protection Act Information Commission Officer regarding the use of false information about my date of occupation at the address on the initial bill, and because confusing information both on my address listing and meter serial number caused the failure of transfer of my gas supply.

I have also written to my local councillor and consulted a lawyer who has advised me to approach the Sherriff's Court for assistance. I would find it quite difficult to pay the amount requested by UW, but the reason I have adamantly refused to pay that sum (while continuing all along to make payments to UW for all the supply I have used) is that I believe the company uses threatening tactics to bully consumers into paying whatever is demanded, whether or not it is correct. Elderly pensioners in particular are vulnerable to this type of threat, and often go without food in order to pay a bill simply out of fear. I would prefer not to go to court, although I believe I would be eligible for legal aid. However, I do think that publicity about UW's practices would be beneficial, particularly while the myth of UW having good customer care still circulates.

I plan now to send one final letter to the Chief Executive Officer of Utility Warehouse before contacting the Ombudsman or Energywatch. I saw on one comment on this site that some feel the Ombudsman is either powerless or a waste of time. Can anyone advise me of any further action I should be taking now, or evidence I can use to prove my case beyond taking photographs of the meters?

• 4 weeks later...

Dear amcmechan

Believe me, you are not alone. Utility Warehouse is in despair to keep customers that are running from the overpriced tarrifs and the bad customers services. They will do anything to harrass you and make it harder for you to switch. Why do you think they need all this distributors writing "good" about them? That indicates they are so bad since they need those kind of people. I also get surprised by which?, but customers are not blind.I have never seen a genuine customer who wrote good about them. You will only see people that will come back several times because they are distributors and it is their job to write good about them.

I left them when they charged me more than £1600 for energy consumptio of 11 months for gas and 10 months for el less than 17000kwh for gas and 3200 kwh for el.

After i have requested transfer from them they provide wrong details of my electricity meter. The funniest part is: I called my new supplier to check if every thing is alright and they confirmed that they have started supplying me both gas and el.

however i was not billed and i called the new supplier several times why I am not billed. My new supplier changed now the history and says that they did not transfer my Elelctricity at all. They want also to run away from the contract I have made with them even though I have writting on it and they have transferred my gas (the contract was duel fuel supply)

So UWH is still harrasing me and i will not pay them as i am not liable to them. The rates of the new contract is much cheaper and I am prepare to pay that rates to the new supplier. But UWH is desperate and they will try any thing to keep you and harras you.

To be honest with you - i dont think consumer focus will do any thing. I have tried and guys there seemed they sympatise with them. They did not help me at all. I dont know about the energy ombudsmand, but my advice to you is take them to court. thats is the only thing they will understand.

If think how they react - they will threaten you with supply disconnection or prepayment meter. They will send you a note - that they intend to get a warrant of entry to enter you premises. Then they will send you a hearing date at your local Court(Magistrate Court).

You have to attend the hearing to defend your self. And provide all the proofs you have, so they are not able to get the permission to enter your premises. If they dont send the hearing date (they hope you not to show up), then request information from the magistrate Court if there is pending application to enter your premises (Under Data protection act). If that is the case, then they must inform you when and where.

I am also quite dissappointed by Npower. They should help you and not to send you back. As far as i understood, there is a license condition obliging the suppliers to solve any problems whilst switching. Npower could choose to collect the debt from you and pay them. Otherwise they should warn you before sending you back. If you find any ways of dealing with this, please advice people .

I am taking my steps and that will be court action. It cannot be true they treat the people this way and it dont give them any consequences.

Best luck to you

Edited by Sofia_xxmm

• 3 months later...

I too have had the very same problem, threatening letter then after I switched to British gas within the first week of occupancy I find the address details wrong on my online account and also my Electricity supply still waiting to be switched after 8 weeks!

Utilites Warehouse are still trying to bill us and they do not have our names which I wil not give to them as we are not their customer. I refuse to pay them any money, I have asked British Gas to sort my supply out again but find it ridiculous that the Ombudsman can do nothing other than wait for a complaint to not be resolved within 8 weeks and then do little. This kind of self regulation has led to a company like the UtilitesWarehouse operating with these very questionable ethics and practices which is causing me and clearly others distress. I do not like being extorted in my own home.

Other than complainging to both Utilites Warehouse and British Gas over this and waiting for responses, is there anything else that can be done?

• 1 month later...

Hi JonMS,

If you have moved into a property, you are under that current supplier if you like it or not (it's called a deemed contract). If you haven't provided your new occupier details to allow them to open a clean account for you and and the current one that is still open is owing money (by the former tenants or owner), then it won't be allowed to leave. You are best to provide Utility Warehouse with your details and more importantly your opening meter readings, if you wish to transfer at that point you will be free to do so and as you have a new clean account there is nothing to stop you doing so.

For all tenant properties, Utility Warehouse ask for new tenants to either 1. Pay £100 per service security deposit or 2. Provide Direct Debit details or 3. Allow install of Prepayment meter(s) free of charge or 4. Choose to switch to another supplier. Whilst this does seem very harsh to not have complete freedom by your method of payment, this was done to stop tenanted properties creating so much unpaid debt - therefore it stops those people that actively switch from supplier to supplier (or house) from stacking up so much debt.

Hope that helps you or anyone else that experiences the same issues with the new occuiper letters that go out to tenants (personally, I am not a fan but understand the thinking behide it).

• 5 weeks later...

Moved house last year to a property which had prepayment meters. Despit being a long-standing UWC member, they wanted £200 per piece from me to change to a 'proper' credit meter, and could/would not re-install our broadband service for TWO WEEKS. one less customer, then.

Andrew Lindsay & Charles Wigoder, I hope you are reading this because your company could have kept my business sooo easily.

• 1 month later...

Just moved from a flat that had Utility Warehouse as the supplier.

During my 3 years at that address they closed my account twice without my permission (and for no reason), made me pay over the odds to get it reinstated, even sent me red letters and threatened court action whilst I was in discussions with the Chief Exec's office regarding why they had closed my account and why they were charging me so much.

It appears they passed their complaints over to the credit agencies as I now have a ridiculously low credit rating despite never being in debt to anyone (including them! As I paid them, immediately once we had sorted the problems out, twice.)

They are without a doubt the worst company I've ever had the misfortune to deal with, anyone thinking of moving to them - DON'T, the bills are not cheap, the customer service is appalling and the 'extras' that seem to crop up every so often are just extortionate.

Example, my final bill with them for 16 days electricity... £500+.

What a bargain. :x

• 4 months later...

THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY IN THE WORLD!!! When I moved into my rented house my landlord was already with them and we just changed over details, sounds simple!!, however there are so many departments they never switched the details correctly and as one section was sending bills out the other department sent out the Debt company and cut off my supply!!!!! To reconnect they want twice the price of the bill + £600 "Security" deposit otherwise they will not reconnect. This is extortion in my eyes and I am referring it to a solicitor today.

For anyone thinking of joining them don't!!

I have been a customer with Utilitywarehouse and I found them better than others. They are better than British Gas. In fact I was trying to British Gas and I spent two hours to reach someone and Scottish Power is even worst. One time they sent £1,000,000 to a customer. Utilitywarehouse are fast and resolve problems. Maybe in the past they had some issues, now they are better. I have to say, the company should not be blamed for people working in the call centre. If someone makes a mistake, they are fault and no the company. In addition, some of my friends would like to switch, but they cant as the other suppliers charge so much some of my friends have so much debt. In reality you need to ask yourself, what do you get from your supplier? Can you earn money? Can you save money? Can your supplier give you cash back from your shopping? Do you get one bill 3 weeks before the money is coming out? Can you get one supplier which can offers you gas, electricity, mobile phone, landline and internet? I saved already £90 an reduced my bills because I have 4 utilities. If I was getting 4 suppliers, I will be so confused and I would have to check my bank account every single week. Ask yourself why are the top in Which magazine, why people choose them. The reality some jealous people cant stand them and that is why people write all this bad stuff. I love Utilitywarehouse.

THIS IS THE WORST COMPANY IN THE WORLD!!! When I moved into my rented house my landlord was already with them and we just changed over details, sounds simple!!, however there are so many departments they never switched the details correctly and as one section was sending bills out the other department sent out the Debt company and cut off my supply!!!!! To reconnect they want twice the price of the bill + £600 "Security" deposit otherwise they will not reconnect. This is extortion in my eyes and I am referring it to a solicitor today.

For anyone thinking of joining them don't!!

• 3 months later...

UTILITY WAREHOUSE - PRACTICE OF INEXPLICABLE BILLING:

I was a good costumer of them for few years and I always paid my bills by direct debit.

Last August 2012 I moved home so I wrote them to give the last electricity reading and gave my new address in good faith, in case that me or them needed to pay a little more or less and obviously close the account. I explained that at my new address the electricity is with the key and other supplies where already organised by the owner.

Therefore, imagine my surprise when I continue receive bill for August, September. I wrote them to remind that my account should be closed since August, so those bills are not possibly be real, maybe a mistake.

I was completely ignored and bills continue to be sent to my new address but from their supply to the old address. Once again I requested them to stop such non sense and at that time I' really would appreciate an apology letter.

Instead of an apology, I receive a letter from some debt collectors demanding and very threatening the payment of all bills since August.

I can tell you that this really irritated me and I decided not even bother with such ridiculous situation and no, it hasn't finish there.

Today, I got a letter from a solicitor about the same thing.

I decided to sent them an email, as it is faster than post and explained everything and most important that I don't owe any money to Utility Warehouse and at this precise moment onward I'll not tolerate any more demands from Utility Warehouse or anyone that may represent them. I informed the solicitor that I consider that I'm being a victim of erroneous billing and if during this month January 2013 I'll not receive an apology letter from their client, I'll get legal help.

This it became an enormous vexation and I informed the Solicitor that I actually found that I'm not the only person that their client try to obtain money in a not very honest way.

I've always know that Utility Warehouse wasn't operate correctly, because for example, at one time in the old address my house telephone wasn't working for about three months and I informed them that was some fault from outside because the building works and apart the fact that Utility Warehouse tried to charge me saying if the fault was from inside, I had to pay, when I told them the fault was from outside that most probably done by one of the builders.

Can you believe that they charged for calls made during those three months that the phone was completely off. I mentioned that to them once but the person was very evasive saying that was nothing to do with that department, etc, which in fact is Utility Warehouse give in their bills.

There is more, but honestly I'm so very ungry with them, that really what's going on is more than enough that Utility Warehouse try to extort money from people that are not their costumers.

Is so absurd that they deserve to be taken to Court and they should be investigated seriously.

Ripley

Edited by ims21

Utility Warehouse is a big [problem], not a honest company and this should go to the media.

Watchdog probably would be delighted to do some investigation.

I strongly believe that Utility Warehouse shoud be publicly exposed.

Ripley

• 1 month later...

Hi

Utility Warehouse billed me for an awful lot of commercial sms texts that I never received. I also, retaining the mobile number that I had had for 10 years, started to receive premium unsolicited SMS's soon after opening my account with UW in Sept 2011. However, they billed me for many, many more unsolicited SMS's than I received, stating that there was a record of my having received all of them. (They sent me a£10 refund about a year of my complaining later.) It is my opinion that either UW was lying as a whole or they have a crook in the works. Additionally, they charged me for overseas calls/SMS's that I never made...through these were refunded. They also told me before sign up that various "08..." numbers were free, but denied this later on. Finally, they denied receiving me email requesting the code to transfer my mobile number to a new service, stating I would have to sign up again to reclaim it...... Should I write one last time, and to the Chiarman of UW or to whom, please? Thank you.

after having read your experiences with UW I do not trust to hope...

that my problem with them will be solved soon:

Having just recently moved to a property I have taken over UW as an electricity provider. The previous owner of my property was a greedy old man so I was sure he shopped around before using them and there would not be any need to shop around myself.

But it was not up for a good start. Firstly they offered their services to me and I was to respond within a set time to get a certain tariff. I was abroad at this time and even sent them a fax with all the required data filled in which they obviously ignored.

After complaining when I returned they did actually set things right. So that was not perfect for a start but mistakes can happen and so I was not worried.

Then they were not able to set up the direct debit in time although everything had been sent well on time and were wanting a late payment fee. I complained and got this back but I was not happy because I had to complain in the first place.

Because an electricity bill of 150 and over per month seemed to high for a property where so far apart from the lights and one of the storage heaters there were no electrical appliances (due to the removal from abroad neither the fridge nor the washing machine had arrived) I phoned them up to find out when exactly the off-peak times for this property/region were. I was told from 00:30 to 7:30. I did not get it in writing although I asked for this.

Because I was still in doubt that the high bills could be justified due to the fact that the storage heater is on the off-peak meter I took another heater off the circuit and installed a control light instead.

This showed very odd hours (BEFORE 00:30 and AFTER 7:30) - only 2 - 3 hours during the off-peak time, the rest was day tariff.

After searching the internet for possible explanations I found that only Scottish Hydro offers tariffs with odd hours where the customers are not in charge for when they use electricity. But I am not a Scottish Hydro Customer! Maybe they distribute the energy to our region but still I am a UW customer.

So: how come the UW benefits most of these circumstances and does not know?

It's as simple as that: when this control light comes on at 22:00 at night then I must be on the off-peak-rate. When it comes off one hour later that means I am back on the expensive day-tariff although it's in the middle of the night? And not back again until 2:00 in the morning for another hour...

How are the chances that I am getting the money wasted due to these facts refunded?

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't read all thread but we switched as soon as we could

Our bills reached to over 100 a month electricity only for a two bed flat!!

We gave readings etc ended up in arrears and made lots of phone calls with meter readings to no avail

Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole... :( silly company

• 9 months later...

Last year I was scammed and ripped off by WAE+ and I must admit that the Aggressive, inflexible and most definitely expensive service of The Utility Warehouse has caused me more upset than that sorry exercise.

Dealing with the Utility Warehouse is a nightmare, they threaten at the drop of a hat, this so called members "discount service" is appalling. Having been a happy customer of a multitude of Utility Providers over the last 40 plus years without any distasteful experiences, I have usually just gone with the standing provider when I move into a new place.

I will now be looking out for these thugs when I move in the future and the first thing I shall do is kick them into touch! I recommend that everyone avoid these unpleasant vendors.

They are NOT good value for money, they are NOT customer friendly and they are NOT nice to deal with.

As far as I am concerned my best advice has to be DO NOT DEAL WITH THE UTILITY WAREHOUSE.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Just this morning I have had a court order enacted on me by Utility Warehouse so that they could install a pre payment meter for failure to pay a £15 bill. I have a membership number,so,logically an account with them.However I can't access said account.It tells me all my details are wrong. I now owe them £1015 as a consequence of not being able to access my own account to pay by direct debit. I am still awaiting a response to them as to what is going on. I am disabled,and also the listed carer for my disabled partner. We only moved here in October. I've not encountered any company quite like them!!

UW are attacking us too. We never signed a contract with them. We rent out a house in Cornwall. The tenants signed up with them. When the tenants left a few weeks ago UW started sending us bills as the contract switches automatically. The bills are silly. They are based on readings that have nothing to do with the actual readings on the meters. I phoned them twice and became convinced I was being lied to. So I went online and found this forum. Reading the previous posts I am now frightened.

Utility Warehouse is clearly a company with criminal intent even if it manages to act within the law. How come the ombudsman hasn't acted against them? Why aren't people being waned about them?

I have not paid them any money yet because they haven't sent a bill based on real readings. But it seems they don't care about fair practice and will legally attack us very soon.

Is there any advice anyone can give?

The utility warehouse are the most disgraceful company Ihave ever dealt with. Like many of the contributors to this thread, we movedinto a house that was already supplied by UW. We told them we may changesuppliers but wanted their tariff details to make a comparison before callingBritish Gas. Within days the threats began –demanding a £100 deposit or theywould get a court order to ‘force entry’ and install a pre-paid meter. They asked us to submit meter readings whichthey do tend to ignore. They also insist that there is a discrepancy in themeter readings –apparently our initial reading did not tally with the previousoccupiers closing reading. Even though we sent digital photos of the readingand had the estate agent verify the reading when we moved in they are stillquestioning our word. We received a bill and a final demand in the same weekalthough the letters were dated 20 days apart. We called them and paidimmediately. We have just received another demand for the same bill, with a £6.00‘punishment fee’ added! I have now discovered that they have delayed ourswitching to British Gas by telling them that our meter reading is not to betrusted. I emailed Andrew Lindsay but he has not even acknowledged mycomplaint. I am now planning to complain to OFGEM, the OES but I am verysurprised they have not had complaints before and stopped them behaving likethis. Best Idea would be to contact anorganisation like watchdog. It is time to stop these bullies.

Hi i rent a house in west yorkshire i was informed my gas and electricity supplier was N Power believing we would be billed quarterly which i was ok with.Started getting letters to the occupier a month later never even heard of utility warehouse the letter mentioned something about joining there club i wasn't interested so binned it.It got to december and still no bill from N Power just lots of letters from this Utility Warehouse.I then received a letter from Grovesner legal services telling me they were taking me to court for no payment of bill,i rang them and they told me they were acting for Utility Warehouse A bailiff had also put a letter through the door at the time i had no idea who these people were.since then i paid 100 pounds off the bill and said i would pay more on my pay day for 3 months the bill was 235 which i thought ok probaly about right then januarys bill came which was 235 on its own ive tried for the passed two weeks to ring and log on to my account to pay 250 more off my bill but i kept getting cut off the account details were wrong.Eventually i got through today only to find out they had taken me to court and what would have been about 400 pound bill is now over a 1000 and the intend to enter property on the 26th to put prepayment meters in ive tried talking to staff even there manager but they were the worst staff ive ever come across ,they. use bullying tactics forcing you to stay with them as this debt is going to mount unless i can clear all and change suppliers,They are not interested in helping customer something really needs tobe done about these people iam going to write to watchdog and point out there are hundreds of cases similar to mine and Utility Warehouse have no policy for helping customers.

• 1 month later...

Hi, on this thread about Utility Warehouse.

I am afraid I can only echo the experiences described here, having inherited this company when I purchased a house last year.

Basically they operate by recruiting customers by what is effectively pyramid selling. Their billing practices are opaque and manipulative, deliberately putting the customer on the back food by obstructive administration. The best remedy is to always put your complaints in writing to their Head Office, and not bother with their dreadful customer services department, unless you can record all your telephone conversaions with them. Writing to Head Office will not result in much of a better response, but at least you have a record of all you have said and done.

I managed to switch from them after three months as I realised they were operating an aggressive and non-transparent company. I gave them my last meter reading for electricity ( I had no other services from them) in December 2013, but continued to get bills as if I had not switched, so I wrote a complaint letter to their Head Office in January re-submitting the readings and telling them to send me a final bill. This eventually arrived on 14th February as I had threatened them with the Ombudsman, again, in writing.

Still this did not stop them referring me to their in house debt collection agency (another [problem]) and to another place called Churchill solutions. I paid my final bill with UW within a month of getting their bill, which was just a figure on a letter, and not a worked out bill. However, I worked out my bill and paid what they asked as it was about right. However, I have continued to be harassed by Churchill whom I have now told I have already paid my bill twice and that it was not late in payment.

I never had a contract with UW and do not accept a court would view there to be a deemed contract, since there has been no offer and acceptance.

The golden rules are:

Switch as soon as possible

Always put complaints in writing, and keep every bit of paper they send you

Keep a monthly reading of all services used, preferably validated by a photo or photocopy of what you have used

explain you don't have a contract with them if this is the case to any new supplier, as this will help stop them blocking your transfer

Know its not you, it's them

If they threaten you with court don't be afraid to get down there and take your paperwork with you - they can't get a court order without telling you they are doing so, and nor can they get the baliffs round without a court order, or cut you off as far as gas/electicity/water go

If the debt collectors contact you, do just the same and put it all in writing, because like UW they also think the customer is always wrong.