A&A charging £50 fee for cancellation before the policy has even started.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4620 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I got a quote from A&A (Allan & Allan) for car insurance. I liked the price and so paid a £150 deposit. A few days later the documents for the credit agreement (I was intending to pay by monthly instalments) and the proposal arrived. Before I signed I decided to give my current insurer a chance to better A&A's quote and they came pretty close so I decided to stay with them.

I called A&A and they said they would cancel the policy but :-

-They would charge me £50 for admin/costs/work done so far

- It would take 6 weeks to get it back, but they could reduce this to 2 weeks as as the policy hadn't started.

My question is: Can they do this? I haven't signed anything. When I paid my deposit the operator did read a bunch of waffle out very quickly and of course I don't remember anything about a £50 cancellation fee. Even if I did hear that and say "yes" to it can they still charge me without a signature?

I'm very peeved about this, especially the as I intended to use that £150 to renew my policy with my current insurer in 5 days time.

Yes they can make a charge of up to £50 per previous FOS rulings on this. So you will get back £100 of the deposit you paid.

Insurers/brokers have been making such charges to cover admin for quite a few years. It is not something I like personally, but it is allowed.

Not all Insurers make these charges where the cover has not started yet. I think the RBS Insurances companies don't charge. But most brokers will make these charges.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread