• Tweets

• Hi. Could you post up what they've sent please so we can see what the charge is? Cover up your name and address and their reference number. HB
    • I've looked through all our old NPE threads, and as far as we know they have never had the bottle to do court. There are no guarantees of course, but when it comes to put or shut up they definitely tend towards shut up. How about something like -   Dear Jonathan and Julie, Re: PCN no.XXXXX cheers for your Letter Before Claim.  I rolled around on the floor in laughter at the idea that you actually expected me to take this tripe seriously and cough up. I'll write to you not some uninterested third party, thanks all the same, because you have are the ones trying to threaten me about this non-existent "debt". Go and look up Jopson v Homeguard Services Ltd, saddos.  Oh, while you're at it, go and look up your Subject Access Request obligations - we all know how you ballsed that up way back in January to March. Dear, dear, dear - you couldn't resist adding your £70 Unicorn Food Tax, you greedy gets.  Judges don't like these made-up charges, do they? You can either drop this foolishness now or get a hell of a hammering in court.  Both are fine with me.  Summer is coming up and I would love a holiday at your expense after claiming an unreasonable costs order under CPR 27.14(2)(g). I look forward to your deafening silence.   That should show them you're not afraid of them and draw their attention to their having legal problems of their own with the SAR.  If they have any sense they'll crawl back under their stone and leave you in peace.  Over the next couple of days invest in a 2nd class stamp (all they are worth) and get a free Certificate of Posting from the post office.
    • Yes that looks fine. It is to the point. I think somewhere in the that the you might want to point out that your parcel had been delivered but clearly had been opened and resealed and the contents had been stolen
    • Hi All, I just got in from work and received a letter dated 24 April 2024. "We've sent you a Single Justice Procedure notice because you have been charged with an offence, on the Transport for London Network." "You need to tell us whether you are guilty or not guilty. This is called making your plea."
    • Okay please go through the disclosure very carefully. I suggest that you use the technique broadly in line with the advice we give on preparing your court bundle. You want to know what is there – but also very importantly you want to know what is not there. For instance, the email that they said they sent you before responding to the SAR – did you see that? Is there any trace of of the phone call that you made to the woman who didn't know anything about SAR's? On what basis was the £50 sent to you? Was it unilateral or did they offer it and you accepted it on some condition? When did they send you this £50 cheque? Have you banked it? Also, I think that we need to start understanding what you have lost here. Have you lost any money – and if so how much? Send the SAR to your bank as advised above
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

XXXXXXXXXX – Rossendales

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thought it might be worth giving the newly elected Police and Crime Commissioner a shot.

The Police and Crime Commissioner for Humberside

Pacific Exchange

40 High Street

Hull

HU1 1PS

02/01/13

Dear Mr .......

Re: Negligence in Humberside Police’s handling of crime allegations

I trust now Humberside Police is held to account by an elected Commissioner, the voting public will have a more effective means of seeking redress than when the ‘now defunct’ appointed Police Authority was responsible.

I complained to the Chief Constable regarding the Economic Crime Section’s handling of allegations of fraud by North East Lincolnshire Council and its bailiff contractor Rossendales. The complaint was escalated to the Police Authority after the force failed to take it seriously. This was subsequently fobbed-off, and ultimately, the Police Authority’s Chief Executive refused to correspond further on issues I’d raised.

With regards bailiffs, thieving, or attempting to thieve from an alleged debtor while enforcing a liability order for a local authority, it would be understandable if thrown into confusion on learning that the view of a Police Authority was:

it is not a matter for the police or its governing body and it would be an abuse of their powers for them to become so involved in these circumstances

Although completely outrageous for a chief executive of a Police Authority to state that an investigation into an alleged crime is not a matter for the police, the response was not entirely a surprise given that the last word on this from the Humberside Police’s Economic Crime Section was:

As you rightly say tens of thousands of people are in a similar position to yourself. No one other than you has argued this is a criminal matter worthy of police investigation to me during my 5 years in this post.

Recognition then by the police that the crime is as prevalent as I would suggest, but also it seems is considered so trivial to be tolerated, even though nationwide the amounts involved will be millions of pounds.

I’m hoping these concerns will be looked into by the Commissioner. I can provide all references to the IPCC, Discipline and Complaints section of Humberside Police etc. etc., as these are retained on file. I will therefore only briefly outline events as have occurred subsequent to North East Lincolnshire Council recklessly instructing its contractor to pursue me for an alleged debt.

Smmary

The authority obtained a liability order for non-payment of council tax despite full payment being made each month. Rossendales bailiffs were instructed to collect an outstanding sum which was entirely paid off by the time they began pursuing it.

Hundreds of pounds were added by Rossendales, this prompted research into what fees they could lawfully charge. As fraud was suspected the police were subsequently informed. The police's economic crime section concluded the attempted fraud was a civil matter to be taken up with the council. The authority lied its way through the formal complaints procedure, taking Rossendales side, on the basis they are governed by some national code of practice.

The council’s Chief Executive ultimately made the decision not to uphold allegations of fraud, making him complicit to the crime. To lie and deceive residents then could be viewed as a term of employment in obtaining his remuneration of around £200K a year.

The Local Government Ombudsman was then contacted with the naive assumption they'd investigate and put things right. They proved equally corrupt and after several months did nothing. On researching further, it’s discovered that Rossendales, like other private bailiff firms contracted to councils, are notorious for defrauding householders pursued by councils.

With this, and other information obtained through the council's complaints, there’s confirmation that several fraud attempts were made by Rossendales. New evidence was submitted to the police, and again this was fobbed off with several excuses for not allowing an investigation. Naively this was escalated to the IPCC, who proved as corrupt as the council, police and LGO.

Legislation provides under council tax regulations for complaints to be put before the court for challenging unlawful levies. The hearing was all set, but for a last minute discovery of a clause in the legislation which meant the complaint was time barred as a consequence of the months wasted with the police, council and LGO.

Corruption didn't stop at the LGO, police and council; it extended to the county court where a bent Judge found that the bailiff’s fitness was not in question after being presented with evidence of the fraudulent way he'd imposed charges.

The next action should have nailed the bailiff, at least if the organisation responsible (ICO) for breaches of the Data Protection Act functioned as it should.

Letters left by the bailiff, categorised as "of a sensitive nature" (threatening to remove goods) were left available for any member of the public passing. The ICO was contacted, who, after spending several months, determined Rossendales were not in breach of the Act.

A distinct pattern became evident – no public body is likely to uphold a complaint made about another public body. Another clue for why such cover-ups and corruption exists within these organisations is that Rossendales is effectively an appendage to the Ministry of Justice.

The Magistrates’ court played a major role in the fiasco which followed.

Records were requested, after discovering very dubious practices in liability order applications. Another breach of the Data Protection Act followed when the court carelessly sent personal details of other council taxpayers, including account numbers. Again the ICO was alerted and again no formal action was taken. A consequence of the breach resulted in another's details mistakenly submitted with bank payments for council tax instalments. Despite all payments being made on time they were paid into another person's account and consequently Rossendales were instructed again. The corrupt organisations were all given another chance to redeem themselves but all failed miserably to prove they were truly independent and unbiased.

Yours sincerely

Edited by outlawla

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps a shorter toned down letter is more likely to catch a bite. I suspect that the Commissioner will look at the allegations made and decide that all complaints have been looked into previously, therefore there is no scope for them to reopen the matters raised.

I would personally just keep the letter related to the Police and how they look into complaints about public bodies, for which they don't appear to consider they have a role.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If you concentrate on the pure criminal elements, that were glossed over, and also that the judge could be described as naiive rather than bent, as he would likely trust bailiffs to follow the law rather than acft in the criminal manner they have proved to do on a regular basis. from where he is sitting again he will complacently think that as they are part of "the system" they are squeaky, even when covered in excrement.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I see the points you're making, but I doubt, whichever way it's worded, any more success will be had with the commissioner than the police Authority. I've just noticed the commissioner's postal address is identical to the police authority and on further investigation found out the Chief Executive of Humberside Police Authority is now Chief Executive of the 'Office of Police and Crime Commissioner for Humberside'.

Also some signs of things to come in these couple of letters.

The problem is that certificated bailiffs have mislead the police so frequently by pretending to be court bailiffs, as they did in the Annette case, the police now believe they are dealing with court officials and, therefore, have to tread carefully. Also, I have no doubt that certificated bailiffs have told police officers that it is a civil matter and to keep their noses out of it. That has to be stamped on firmly and the police put fully in the picture as to the fact they are being lied to and unwittingly having their professional integrity and impartiality compromised by what are, basically, criminals holding a court-issued certificate. There needs to be more stringent checks made on candidates for bailiff certificates, including Enhanced Disclosure CRB checks and when a bailiff applies to a court for a certificate, checks should be made with other courts to see that they have not had their certificate revoked and they are trying to obtain a certificate by misleading a different court to the one that revoked their certificate. This could be accommodated by a change of policy at the MoJ and keeping disqualified bailiffs on the register with the words "Certificate Revoked" in the Employer column. There also needs to be a change of policy so that new registrations, renewals and revocations are on the register and available to the public within 48 hours maximum.

• 2 weeks later...

An up-date

After prompting acknowledgement to the letter of 2nd January 2013 (#201), the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner has replied today with a message saying a response was prepared yesterday and will be posted out tonight. Incidentally this comes from the same person who dealt with a related correspondence with the 'then' Humberside Police Authority. The Chief Executive of the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner is also the same person as held that position when the Police Authority existed.

And on a similar theme:

Members of the public where given the opportunity to quiz the newly elected Police and Crime Commissioner for Humberside in a live web-chat last Tuesday. Several questions were put to him on the subject of bailiffs and concerns that the force generally dismissed allegations of crime. A couple of responses were given as follows:

Contributor A

Will you be looking into how police tend to ignore assaults on debtors collecting council tax arrears by bailiffs, and improve training of police so they understand what bailiff powers actually are?

Commissioner said

Any person who believes they have been the subject of an assault should report this and it should be properly investigated. If you feel the matter has not been properly dealt with there is a complaints procedure that you can follow.

Contributor B

Re; Commissioner's response

The complaints procedure is in place for the force's benefit. The police investigate themselves. There is a conflict of interest. How can the complaints procedure be improved?

Commissioner said

All complaints are overseen by the Independent Police Complaints Commission and checks made on the quality of the investigations. In addition there is a right of appeal to the IPCC. The most serious complaints are undertaken directly by the IPCC or directly supervised by their staff. The advent of PCCs has provided an additional effective layer of supervision that whilst not a direct method of complaining does allow correction of unacceptable practices.

The following questions where submitted but went unanswered:

The IPCC is a statutory complaints process therefore like all statutory complaint procedures, the interpretation of the law can always be manipulated to achieve the desired outcome, i.e., dismiss the complaint. Will the commissioner be considering these failings?

Will the Commissioner be looking into allegations of crime associated with council's bailiff contractors? There are serious issues which have, up until now, been brushed under the carpet. The IPCC have been ineffective along with the Police authority, and I know Government ministers are always keen to let respective Police forces "do as they like" which is invariably pretend the problem does not exist.

PCC's are generally not going to get involved in these mattters, as they are mostly political people, who get paid partly from council tax revenues. They will leave it up to the Police, CPS and Courts.

PCC's are generally not going to get involved in these mattters, as they are mostly political people, who get paid partly from council tax revenues. They will leave it up to the Police, CPS and Courts.

Yes! It seems you were right .

15Jan2013a.png

Edited by outlawla

Same old blanco being liberally applied then as per usual. (Blanco a brand of whitewash, much loved in millitary establishments for hiding the coal from a visiting generals gaze)

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Same old blanco being liberally applied then as per usual. (Blanco a brand of whitewash, much loved in millitary establishments for hiding the coal from a visiting generals gaze)

Los oficiales les gustan sus blancos...

Edited by outlawla

Los oficiales les gustan sus blancos...

:lol::lol:

I think it safe to say the Commissioner has responded in a manner you'd expect anyone in his position wanting to ensure the best chance of surviving in the top job. For deflecting concerns which would otherwise cause the government inconvenience, expense and embarrassment, he will no doubt consider the salary paid him for making this decision well spent.

The irony of all this is the Commissioner refers to the previous dealing of the complaint through the 'now defunct' Police Authority, where he comments "you have been through the legal and complaints processes and I'm afraid that I do not have the power to act outside those processes". In all probability this response has been formulated by the Office of the Police and Crime Commissioner which is in fact the Police Authority in all but name.

How can you take any decision seriously when the Chief Executive of that organisation states – in regards bailiffs, defrauding alleged debtors while enforcing liability orders for local authorities – that "it is not a matter for the police or its governing body and it would be an abuse of their powers for them to become so involved in these circumstances"

A couple of points are well worth mentioning here. One of the many excuses given by the Detective Inspector at Humberside Police's Economic Crime Section for not investigating Rossendales, was that the "Home Office circular 47/2004 provides the Home Office guidance on where priority should be given by the police."

In this guidance it is clear that the type of fraud we're dealing with here qualifies under several of the listed priorities for investigation:

• Frauds involving substantial sums of money. (Note: this would likely run into many millions of pounds if fully investigated)

• Frauds having a significant impact on the victim(s).

• Frauds affecting particularly vulnerable victims (eg the elderly, people with disabilities, businesses providing key services in difficult circumstances) or in distinct communities.

• Frauds giving rise to significant public concern (possibly highlighted by a high degree of press interest).

• Frauds where law enforcement action could have a material deterrent effect.

• Frauds which indicate a risk of more substantial / extensive fraud occurring.

The other point deals with a statement made by the Crown Prosecution Service in connection with a recent $2.3bn Bank fraud prosecution.

The deputy head of fraud at the Crown Prosecution Service, said:

'The CPS Central Fraud Division are pleased to have brought this case so quickly to conclusion, with the trial opening one year to the day after the case was reported to City of London Police. This is a tribute to the hard work and dedication of the whole prosecution team.

'People who commit fraud, in any walk of life, should know that the scale and technicality of a case is no barrier to bringing it to justice. At the heart of any complex fraud is a simple notion of dishonesty which is something that we can all understand.'

Edited by outlawla

"The CPS Central Fraud Division are pleased to have brought this case so quickly to conclusion, with the trial opening one year to the day after the case was reported to City of London Police. This is a tribute to the hard work and dedication of the whole prosecution team.

'People who commit fraud, in any walk of life, should know that the scale and technicality of a case is no barrier to bringing it to justice. At the heart of any complex fraud is a simple notion of dishonesty which is something that we can all understand.'

The additional wording should have been: Unless the perpatrators of the fraud are a Government Organisation, Local Authotity And Their Agents, who are exempt from prosecution under the Fraud Act, as they are collecting debts to government, so the end justifies the means!.

If they had put that we wuold know that the systenm is bent. Well we know that already,