Legal and General cancelled my home insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4629 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi ...I am having problems with my home insurer and would greatly appreciate any help:???:

I will try and keep it short!

A few months ago we had a fire incident in our garden which resulted in some minor damage to my neighbours property ( damaged fencing, loss of some garden soft furnishings and damage to the felt at the rear of his detached garage)

We gave him our insurance details (after profuse apology) and thought that was that.....

However in now transpires that Legal and General had cancelled our policy in October 2010!

Our policy has always been renewed every year for the last ten years (and never ever claimed on)

No payments have ever been missed but after the payment dated october 20th 2010 they made a refund amount of £55.(just for the record we only know this now after tracking back through our bank statements..)

We have had several phone conversations to establish why they have cancelled the policy and now know that they had been writing to us but we have not recieved any of the letters at all.....infact they told us that the post was returned to them with "not known at this address" written on it and after copious amounts of returned letters they just cancelled the policy ! The thing that amazes me most is that we recieved our policy schedule....with the correct address yet no other correspondence?? So somebody at some point had the details correct.....furthermore I have been to see the lady with the similar address who has been recieving our mail and she has stated to me that not only did she return it she also wrote on it a suggestion that they try our address as she had an incline as to what was happening!

Sorry such a long post....but honestly should I be liable for the cost of damage to next doors property?

yes you would be liable. they could claim on her own insurance, but they may come after you.

it pays to be vigilant with DD payments and insurances; down to you to check.

Edited by raydetinu

Suggest that you follow L&G complaints process and ask for details of why there was a problem with the correspondence address on their records which led to the cancellation of the policy. Also if they had your phone number, why did they not attempt to phone you.

It is not uknown for Insurance companies to have addresses slightly wrong on their systems and for such problems to happen.

You might strike lucky with a complaint, if L&G agree to backdate the cover subject to you paying the full annnual premium due from last October.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread