How long do i have to make a claim?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4613 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Morning folks.We bought a repo and moved in at the start of May. We had no gas meter in the property so had to wait 2 weeks until they could come fit one, we then had to hire someone to come and connect it up.When we switched the water on we had a huge water feature through the ceiling.We had 2 split pipes and a couple of the compression joints had popped off - easily fixed...BUT....these were under slate tiles, which were on top of plywood and on top of the floorboards.We had to smash up the floor to get to the pipes and get them fixed, my hubby fixed themWe never even thought about claiming on the insurance as there was no damage to the lounge ceiling, just the bathroom floor and the fact we have had to remove the toilet and sink in there and now have holes in the floor exposing the pipes.Luckily we have a second loo so we are ok with that.I've been told i should be able to claim for this, is this right and if so am I out of time?Thankyoooo!

Approach the Insurers now while there is damage to see. If you wait, there is no chance of a claim. The Insurers may say that some of the damage was pre existing, so will not pay for anything that occured prior to Insurance start date. If the house was unoccupied , they may have excluded water damage risks from day 1 of the policy.

So it really depends on what Insurance arrangements you have made. You might have a struggle on your hands to get the Insurers to deal with any claim. They might appoint a loss assessor to investigate and take it from there.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks for the reply UB.We have photos of the bathroom prior to the damage and it was in perfect condition. It was in perfect condition until we set the hot water running, then we had a major problem. It had been empty over the winter so it appears that the pipes have split during that time and is something we could not have known until we set the hot water running.Id be happy for an assessor to pop round and see though, that would be better for us as they can see whats happened.Thanks again

Yes that is the best thing to do.

Because the house has been unoccupied and you were not moving in to live in the house straightaway, the Insurers may decline any claim for the bathroom and water damage. BUT it depends on what you told the Insurers when you arranged cover. If you declared the exact situation to them and they did not exclude water damage or damage to bathroom fittings, you may be ok.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

We moved in 3 days after completion so had no clue there was anything wrong. We had no gas on for over 2 weeks and had been living in the house with no hot water or heating, just the coal fire! Had to nip to my mums for showers lol. I arranged cover to start before compeltion at the request of the mortgage brokers, so hopefully it will be fine.

Thanks again.