help with insurance query car accident

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4612 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

lorry hit me and took my bumper off and headlight driver side, repairs cost 2000k car worth 2444 so insurance originally wrote it off catergory c. I asked them not to and tried to get a garage to fix it but they quoted 1600 plus vat. ANyway, today they called back and offered cash in lieu and the car back so I can get it repaired. I tried to call back but noanswer he said he was sending cheque for 1600 I can try and get it fixed its just bumper and headlight and it is dented MOT is due end of the month. What does all this mean? is the car no longer written off they are delivering it back to me too!!!

please help and someone explain. I am trying to get someone I know who does a good job to fix it for that amount. xx

There are different categories of write offs. Had the Insurers written it off, it would have been sold for salvage and if it only had light damage it might have been sold for someone else to repair it or it might have been crushed after removal of any spare parts that could be sold.

But as you have said you wanted the salvage, I suspect that the car has not been registered with the DVLA as written off and you will get the car back to use the £1600 they are sending you to get it repaired. I suspect that given the relatively light damage you have mentioned, that you can get it repaired for less than £1600. There are many companies that stock spare parts for most car at reduced prices. One is near Birmingham, where they have a huge selection of salvaged parts. So get searching on the internet and make some enquiries. If you can source the parts, you can get someone to fit them probably as a cash job.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I pressume this is your insurer?

if they want to write off then they should offer you the market value, cost to buy car in equivalent condition ( they will get costs back from TP ) as not your fault.

so dont understand why they are doing a deal for 1600 + car? maybe thats what TP insurers offered!

You do need to know status of car, because if written off, it is now not insured! and you are not covered; policy now ended.

also it may affect your premiums when reinsured?