style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4625 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear forum

I have a bedroom window which has a frame that has started to sink/sag in the middle. The original window had a central supporting pillar and 2 panes of glass. Someone replaced this (before I bought the house) with a single pane window. This isn't strong enough and the frame has now started to sag. This will cost a lot to fix. I have a standard house insurance policy with Red Star. Am I likely to be covered?

Very many thanks in advance

you can try! but dont think you will succeed?

probably a failing timber lintle over the window ( rot ?).

just like you had found dry rot or damp, insurance would not cover that. but check policy.

just to add, check the policy – ask the insurer – but if they reject your claim, don't take that as possible. They are in the business of rejecting claims whenever possible because that's how they make their money.

Probably one of the things you should do I get a couple of professional opinions as to how it has occurred. Certainly if it is a natural wear and tear problem then you are most unlikely to be insured.

However, I tend to agree with the previous poster that in the circumstances where there has been a badly designed modification of the house by the previous owner – you are unlikely to be insured. Make sure that is the real cause though.

thanks for those replies. Its not the lintel; its the alteration that the previous owner has made in removing the central/dividing pillar from the window. I had a survey done before I bought the house and this wasn't detected. Does that leave me any options?

thanks

thanks for those replies. Its not the lintel; its the alteration that the previous owner has made in removing the central/dividing pillar from the window. I had a survey done before I bought the house and this wasn't detected. Does that leave me any options?

thanks

You would be better to post this query elsewhere. This is not an Insurance issue, as building defects are not covered.

If the window was altered by the previous owner and this has weakened it, ideally this should have been picked up on the survey. But if the survey was just a basic report, you might not have any comeback. In my opinion, you would only have any comeback on the surveyor, if you had paid for a full homebuyers survey, which is more comprehensive in what it covers.

I have a feeling that this will need to be put this down to experience and you will have to have the window replaced at your cost. I say this because you cannot prove there was any evidence of the window showing any signs of having a problem at the time you bought the house. Yes the appearance of the window may be different to others, but in terms of any structural integrity, would this have been questioned at the time. I doubt you would want to get expert report and paid for legal advice, as it would be cheaper just to get a builder in to replace the window, plus check for other issues.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread