Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder seen this before Informative seen this before Informative

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jun 2011

Default Welfare to Work policy 'casts the disabled as cheats'

a worrying article has appeared in the guardian in regards to the disabled and the portrayal of them to the public,give rise to suspicion and sometimes hate being whipped up.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...atred-disabled

Basic Account Holder seen this before Informative seen this before Informative

Cagger since
    Jun 2011

Default Re: Welfare to Work policy 'casts the disabled as cheats'

increasing evidence that backs up these clams above.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news...fit.6808226.jp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14280849

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-sto...5875-23299527/

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-2326481.html

sadly the comment left here typifies the discrimination those face with mental health problems are facing in applying for work.the real world.

And what of the mentally ill?

Physically they may be OK but do you really want dangerous and mad people working in sensitive environments just because the tests show they can pick a phone up or carry a sack of cement.

Maybe once one or two of these people have run amok in the workplace it might make ministers realise that its not just a wheelchair that makes people disabled.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder geriann Novitiate geriann's Avatar

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    I am in
    peterborough

Quote Originally Posted by seen this before View Post
    And what of the mentally ill?

Physically they may be OK but do you really want dangerous and mad people working in sensitive environments just because the tests show they can pick a phone up or carry a sack of cement.

Maybe once one or two of these people have run amok in the workplace it might make ministers realise that its not just a wheelchair that makes people disabled.
    it's been quite a while since i had the asessment to see if i was too ill to work.
    asessing someone on wether that can pick up certain things...how do they walk...can they prepare a meal...can they dress themselves...can they get in/out of bed...can they wash themseves...none of it applies to mental illnesses.
    at the time of the asessment i had had it was due to depression, self-harm, anxiety and anorexia.
    could i prepare a meal...yes but anorexia obviously meant that i didn't.
    could i wash myself, get in/out of bed, dress myself...yes but depression [and other mental illnesses] often mean you don't do those things cause you don't care about yourself.
    could i walk, pick up stuff...of course i could...the only physical issues i had were mainly caused by the anorexia....such as fainting and being weak.
    i went to a&e loads of times cause i fainted/collapsed and self-harm...they just send you home.

they even said i wasn't ill enough for DLA because i hadn't been admitted to the psych' ward!
    people with ED's are only admitted to the psych' ward if thier weight is do low that they are force-fed...so it's not a common thing.
    not to mention the fact i would have done anything to stay out of the ward. that's the last place i wanted to be!

like you said you don't have to be in a wheelchair to be disabled.

they need a separate set of questions for mental illnesses.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

they need a separate set of questions for mental illnesses.
    They do

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    I am in
    peterborough

well like i said above they didn't when i applied...although that was a while ago now.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative Nystagmite Highly informative

Cagger since
    Feb 2011

Even if they didn't, I found that most of the questions for DLA could be applied to mental health.

Basic Account Holder wombleingfree Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jan 2012

Despite the Government campaign to label many disabled people as workshy, I think even PR man Cameron will have a job selling cancer patients with 'more than 6 months to live' as skivers. But then the Government's done a pretty good job labeling nurses, care workers and teachers as overpaidicon money-grabbers, so anything's possible.

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    I am in
    peterborough

Quote Originally Posted by Nystagmite View Post
    I found that most of the questions for DLA could be applied to mental health.
    can you cook yourself a meal? wash yourself? dress yourself? yes. physically i'm obviously capable.

Basic Account Holder Sparks_ Novitiate

Cagger since
    May 2012
    I am in
    Somewhere between here and there

I have just got DLA and ESA support group, yes I can cook for myself, wash myself, dress ect but it takes me hours to recover after! Plus being with large amounts of people is a danger for me...infection danger and physical danger! One nudge or bump to my abdomen could mean serious injury problems!

Basic Account Holder marcus6 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks_ View Post
    I have just got DLA and ESA support group, yes I can cook for myself, wash myself, dress ect but it takes me hours to recover after! Plus being with large amounts of people is a danger for me...infection danger and physical danger! One nudge or bump to my abdomen could mean serious injury problems!
    I have just been turned down for DLA im on ESA.....im not working and my wife is not working as she has to help me most of the time,

im about to appeal! and im going to give it to them big time......

Basic Account Holder OlafJensen Novitiate

Cagger since
    Apr 2012
    I am in
    Rochdale

Don,t lose heart. I also got turned down the first time. I sent in more medical evidence and a long letter about their findings. The out come was a ATOS home visit and I won. I only received the mobility side, so I,m appealing for carers allowance. What does not stack up on their side is they agree i,m a cripple, but cant seem to see I need help with daily tasks. I think the DWP just throw hurdles at people to see if they stumble and back down.

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder Amazinglyso Novitiate Amazinglyso's Avatar

Cagger since
    Aug 2010
    I am in
    somewhere in Surrey

It is truly appalling to come accross ill-informed; invidious and self-serving politicians, who little understand the concept of disability - let alone poverty. I have always worked and studied my way through life, until very recent times, and often taken jobs well below my skill set because I was over-qualified for some jobs here in the UK. I am currently pursuing a career in writing as an extremely gifted author, despite suffering long-term clinical depression; social anxiety and PTSD - I don't allow these terms of 'disability' to define me however, because of the holistic views I have regarding what constitutes a full-person and their individual capabilities.

We all have one disability of kind or another; regardless of what socioeconomic background someone is from. Who is deserving of social welfare assistance from time to time, is most definitely the responsibility of the state who have an allocated budget specifically for those out of work, for whatever reason. It is shocking how much foreign aid they pour into global anti-terrorist projects - buying political 'peace' because they have slashed their own military services, as well as lining their own pockets in the humungous tax-relief of their paid-for expenses claims.

In addition, what about the foreign penniless women, who come to live over here because they are married to wealthy partners - are they scroungers too?. I have met a few in my time, and they do not work, just live off their partner as well as claim child benefits. I could easily amass a huge list of what 'type' of scroungers that politicians readily refer to as 'work-shy'. I had forgotten to mention over-paid celebrities/footballers who deliver nothing more than the goods they are paid, and those that simply inheriticon an existence because the notion of work too much a a reality shock!.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE