Scottish Power - recent increase in charges, and cancellation fee?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, Was on a discounted tariff with Scottish Power, due to expire in October I believe. In the original contract, it stated that should I cancel before this time I would have to pay £50 in cancellation fees. However, as well advertised, they then increased prices by around 15-20%. Further, I was contacted by Scottish Power, advising of my right to cancel under a term in their contract (unfortunately I do not have this to hand), which stated along the lines of should they change the terms of the contract significantly to the detriment of the customer, I have the right to cancel. Question - given the scale of the change, can they enforce the cancellation fee as I have now left them? I appreciate that the wording isnt clear, but I am confused as to the existance of that clause at all, given that if I wasnt in a fixed term contract with them with cancellation fees in place, I could have cancelled at any time without penalty anyway. Hence, the term in question seems to only affect the cancellation fee element (albeit it was not mentioned in that term). any thoughts?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Thanks rebel, but unfortunately that doesnt answer the question.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

bump.