Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder superstarjan Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

Default Insurance company cancelled my policy

Hiya, I'm hoping that someone can help me with this insurance matter

Briefly, I had a car insuranceicon policy which I was paying by direct debiticon and had also paid an upfront fee. I owed around 250 on it and decided to send them a cheque to pay in full and cancel the direct debit.

I received a letter a day or two later saying that my bank had informed them that the direct debit had been cancelled and to re-instate it so that the policy isn't cancelled, but I thought that the cheque had crossed in the post.

I have today received another letter saying that the policy had been cancelled and they had added a cancellation fee and took some off my debit card too!!!!

I got straight in touch and they said that they had never received my letter and cheque and that there is no way the policy can be re-instated. Is this true ??

I am furious, I have paid almost 500 for 4.5 months of insurance.

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2010

Default Re: Insurance company cancelled my policy

If you didn't phone them before you decided to change the payment method, you should have done. As soon as you cancel a direct debiticon mandate at your bank, a day or two later it appears on an accounts report at the Insurers. They then send a letter requesting new payment instructions advising that the policy would be cancelled if new payment instructions were not provided. After a period of payment instructions not being received, notice of cancellation is then issue. Many Insurers have outsourced the handling of cheques to processing companies. So the cheque and letter may not have been seen by the Insurers accounts department. They might eventually get a report from the processing company saying that a payment was received for your policy, but too late to stop the cancellation.

I think this is a genuine misuderstanding on your part, as to the way Insurance companies work. You should therefore phone the Insurers and ask to speak to customer relations or a complaints handler, to see what you can do. Many Insurers will not reinstate a policy unless they have good reason to do so. Speak to your bank to see if the cheque has been cashed and if so by whom and on what date. Once a cheque is processed it goes back to your bank, with processing details applied to the back of the cheque. If you find out the Insurers had money via the cheque before the cancellation, there is no reason for them not to reinstate. They can do it, if they want to. All they have to do is speak to their IT people if necessary and they will reinstate the record. They often do this, when they have a problem with the policy record.

Basic Account Holder superstarjan Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jun 2006

Thanks for that Uncle B. It all actually makes sense with hindsight, but unfortunately no less annoying for me!

That's the trouble these days, us ''little people'' are expected to be experts in every field and none of these big companies have any compassion for genuine mistakes.

I will check with the bank re. the cheque tomorrow, but to be honest, I'm not expecting them to re-instate the policy because their tone and manner was really bad. They actually said that they are unable to re-instate a policy by law !!

Thanks!!

Site Team rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative rebel11 Authoritative

Cagger since
    Oct 2009
    Blog Entries

Hi Super

Send a Formal Letter of Complaint Send it Recorded. Explain whats happened and what you want them to do. Tell them you will take the matter to the fosicon. You can do that once you get a final answer from them.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...complaint.html

Welcome to Consumer Action Group

'Challenges are what makes life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.'
    Joshua J. Marine

1) CLAIM BACK ALL PENALTY CHARGES CLICK HERE
    2) CLAIM BACK ALL MIS-SOLD PPI CLICK HERE
    3) COMPOUNDED CONTRACTUAL INTEREST CLICK HERE
    4) REQUEST CCA FROM CREDITOR CLICK HERE
    5) OFT- UNENFORCEABLE AGREEMENTS CLICK HERE
    6) CAREY V HSBC (2009) CLICK HERE
    7) DON'T BE BULLIED BY CREDITORS / DCA's CLICK HERE
    8) IN DEBT DON'T PANIC CLICK HERE
    9) FULL AND FINAL SETTLEMENT CLICK HERE
    10) SALE OF GOODS ACT-EDUCATE YOUR RETAILER CLICK HERE
    11) DISTANCE SELLING-EDUCATE YOR RETAILER
    CLICK HERE
    12)
    SOGA SUMMARY CLICK HERE
    13) WHICH? TEMPLATES CLICK HERE
    14) DOES YOU BANK TREAT YOU FAIRLY BCOBSCLICK HERE
    15) EVERYTHING HOUSING CLICK HERE
    16) UTILITY BACKBILLING CLICK HERE
    17) OFGEM - COMPLAINTSCLICK HERE
    18) OFCOM - COMPLAINTS CLICK HERE

DON'T GIVE UP, THIS SITE WILL PROVIDE YOU WITH GUIDANCE AND EMPOWERMENT

Don't forget to donate to this site

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers

Follows
    Following

Platinum Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a donation
    unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67 Authoritative unclebulgaria67's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2010

Quote Originally Posted by superstarjan View Post
    They actually said that they are unable to re-instate a policy by law !!

Thanks!!
    It is not true that they cannot reinstate a policy by law. It says that they can't backdate Insurance, as it is a legal requirement under road traffic acts. The law is simply saying they cannot sell someone Insurance after the event. It is not meant to apply to situations where a policy is cancelled in error by Insurers.

Ask the question as to what they would do if a policy was cancelled in error, where an accident had happened while the Insurance was missing from MID ? They would recognise the error and reinstate the policy, so that you had cover at the time of the accident.

I would expect the Insurers to resolve this to your satisfaction, if they cashed the cheque before the cancellation.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE