Motor Insurance Database (MID) and Data Protection

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4642 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I would really like some advice on this please as I have scoured the web and doubt that what I need to know is public information.

As you know insurance companies have access to the MID for multiple reasons, all insurance related.

A letter has been received at an address of my relatives from an insurance company in relation to an outstanding bill of £120. What is confusing is that I have never officially lived at this address and used it only for my current insurance policy with a different company.

I was homeless at the time and still needed insurance as we all still have to work!

My question is whether the insurance company have used the MID appropriately in this manner to trace debt and whether the MID granted fair and reasonable access to my data as this was not in conjunction with a claim, a new policy or any other insurance related matter.

Imo opinion it was used solely for the purpose of tracing debt of which they should have used the appropriate channels which would have lead them to my current abode.

I look forward to your responses.

I believe that in the Insurance contract wording it allows the Insurers to use the various databases available to them, for a range of purposes including tracing you. You would have to read all the paperwork connected with that particular policy and if you feel that they have breached any rights then send a written complaint to their compliance manager, threatening to take this to the ICO.

The Insurance business is a small world. It is possible that they obtained the information by other means.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi, thanks for the response. I found this on their website:

We will collect your personal information when:

You ask for a quote

You purchase our products and services

You make customer enquiries

You register for information or other services

You register a claim

You respond to communications or surveys

When providing information about others who may be insured you confirm that you have the consent of these individuals to supply their personal information

General

We will use your information for:

Processing your quotes

Administering your policy including claims handling

Fraud prevention and detection

Credit scoring or other automated decision-making systems

Administering debt recoveries

Verifying your identity when required

Undertaking market research and statistical purposes

Keeping you informed about promotions and new developments by email, telephone or post

It is clear about their policy on how the information is used but do you think it was correctly obtained?

If the company already had my information then I would accept this but they have had to make a request for this data.

All terms and conditions state on websites that information is exchanged on various databases (outside the MID) to prevent fraudulent claims. This is allowed by law as data protection act does not cover people if it is part of a criminal investigation.

I can confirm that I am not in the middle of a claim and this strongly suggests that my data has been used against the purpose of which it was stored for.

I'm going to go to the ICO.

The ICO will tell you to take this up with the company concerned in the first instance and if you still disagree after 8 weeks, you can submit a formal complaint to the ICO.

The ICO can take 2 years to look into complaints.

In the meantime the Insurers will pass your debt on for debt collection and you will get harassed.

My advice is to take this up with the Insurers concerned. Sometimes, if they feel that they will be caused too much hassle to make it worth pursuing, they will write the amount off. Don't write to customer services. Write to the Insurers compliance manager along the lines of what you said in your post above. Ask for an explanation.

• Confused 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

i think you're clutching at straws. You're main concern should be the clearing of the outstanding amount before it brings you a 'refusal to insure' notice, i'm sure that would hurt more.

thank you for your thoughts on this but it won't happen. it has already gone to a collection agency so the insurance company have already been paid off. they only issue a dont insure if you make attempts to abuse the insurance system. besides i have my current policy with my new insurer and never had any issues :)

My question is whether the insurance company have used the MID appropriately in this manner to trace debt and whether the MID granted fair and reasonable access to my data as this was not in conjunction with a claim, a new policy or any other insurance related matter.

No. The MID only gives the person searching it the name of the insurance company and policy number, at least when I've used it (around 5-6 times/day). The insurance company would have used other sources of information. Whether or not those were used appropriately or not, I couldn't comment on.