cis refusing to pay out for laptop

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4648 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

CIS asked for extra on my home insurance for accidental damage and for high risk items.

They are now saying that a laptop is movable so they will not cover it.My son dropped it in the bath,don't ask me how!

Under the policy high risk£2000 covers personal computors.How to I get them to pay out

CIS asked for extra on my home insurance for accidental damage and for high risk items.

They are now saying that a laptop is movable so they will not cover it.My son dropped it in the bath,don't ask me how!

Under the policy high risk£2000 covers personal computors.How to I get them to pay out

Have you ever spoken to CIS about wanting cover for laptops ? This is important !!!

Some Insurers require such portable items to be covered under Personal Possessions to cover them in and away from home. It will state this in the policy. The reason they do this, is that some people would damage them away from home, realise they didn't have the personal possessions cover and then try to claim under the Contents Accidental Damage cover. By making customers take out the Personal Possessions cover, they are therefore providing them with cover for the portable items in and away from home and obtaining a premium relevant to the risk.

So if you have never spoken to CIS and have just assumed things without reading the policy, then there is not much you can do, as CIS would be correct in refusing the claim. But you can ask for an explanation of this.

If you have spoken to CIS about wanting cover for laptops and they did not advise you correctly, then make a complaint. If they find that you were not advised correctly, they will backdate the cover, request the relevant premium and deal with the claim.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Unfortunately, the CIS policy wording here (can't post a link but it's on their website) would seem to exclude it under the cover you seem to have

Section B under contents covers computer equipment but excludes "Damage to (i) any item (other than a portable television or remote control unit) designed to be portable" which would cover laptops.

Under Accidental Damage, there is an exclusion for "(a) Damage specifically included in or excluded from the Loss or Damage subsection of this Section." - it certainly could be in plainer English but I interpret that to mean that damage already excluded under any of the contents sections of cover will not be covered under the accidental damage section. As cover is already excluded under section B, it would not be covered under accidental damage.

The CIS are not alone in excluding damage to laptops within the home under Home Contents Insurance. Everyone with a laptop, thinking they have accidental damage cover under their Contents Insurance, should check their policies. Often they will have to have the Personal Possessions extension to Contents Insurance to cover portable items that can be taken away from home and depending on the value of the laptop they may need to be specified.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

thank you so much.My son had a seperate insurance for his laptop.I thought it covered him for 3 years but infact it was 2 which is why I had not covered it through the house insurance.Now I realise that has run out I was hoping the clause £2000 for high risk items would cover it.

High risk is considered personnal computors.Does not say no to laptops as personnal computors.Surely they should allow it under this

thank you so much.My son had a seperate insurance for his laptop.I thought it covered him for 3 years but infact it was 2 which is why I had not covered it through the house insurance.Now I realise that has run out I was hoping the clause £2000 for high risk items would cover it.

High risk is considered personnal computors.Does not say no to laptops as personnal computors.Surely they should allow it under this

Suggest that you ask CIS and make a complaint if necessary. I cannot expand on what I have already posted. Some policies don't cover accidental damage to laptops under high risks within Contents and you need the Personal Possession section of cover.