Elephant - Car Repairs Below Standard

Don-e
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6420 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I wondered if anyone could help me out on this one.

In March I had an accident that involved another car. (It was my fault, I went into the back of the car in front).

Anyway, the font of my car looked a mess, but after it being recovered to the Insurers favoured Garage I was told that the car would not be a write-off.

Anyway, 3 weeks past and my car was released to me and was apperently fixed, or so i thought.

After driving 60 miles the cars dashboard kicked off about the collant level. After checking under the hood, I could see that the car was losing a large amoutn of collant form somewhere. It made the car un drivable. I had to have the car recovered and taken back to the garage. These things happen, I wasnt annoyed, I just wanted my car back. $ days later the car was returned tome.

I couple of month pass and I begin to sense some "play" in the drivers side break...concerned i took it to my main dealer and asked them for a major service and to investigate.

They had a look and reported that the Brake hose had been taggled up in the steering and suspension, they also asked if i had taken the wheels off and played around with it. I told them that I had not and I mentioned the accident, they offered their opinion that it was definetly not something that happens by chance and that I would need to tell my insurarer about it.

Drove the car away (I couldtnt get the hose replaced that day as the part was not in stock - they untangled it however to stop the wearing progressing).

That weekend I was giong round a small roundabout when I hear a kind of pop - the sterring goes heavy, really heavy and i have gently work the car over to the side of the road. I had the car recovered to my local garage who had a look at the car. After looking at the car the next morning their first comment to me was "have you had a front end smash recently". I tol them yes and asked why. They then told me that an intercooler pipe had been left out and was sitting in a section of the car that it shouldnt have been in. the pipe was left to get entangled in the cooling fan and the fan had managed to lodge the pipe into the Power sterring unit and had crushed the mechanism there. (or works to that effect - i have a report which is more techincal).

anyway, i tell the insurer who then (reluctantly) authorise an engineer to carry out an investogation.

This basically intailed him visitng me at work - asking me what the problems were (despite having reports from VW and my local Garage) and talking me through what he was going to do. I invited him to look at my car (the brake hose hadnt been fixed at this point still as Eephant said that if did get ti fixed, I mightnot be able to claim for the cost of replacement). he declinned and said that he would conduct a thorough interview with the garage.

Anyway, I get a letter from Elephant last week, saying that the engineerhad completed his investigation and that in light of his evidence they would not shell out for the Power Steering unit.

Looking at his notes his, thorough and scientific investigation involed him going to the grage and asking them "did you break this guy's car? to which they said "no we didnt".

they say that they did replace that intercoller pipe, but it was no way the cause of the problem. They say that it was wear and tear, which is in keeping with a car ofsuch high mileage.

And that They were shocked that if there was a problem that the VW garage didnt pick up in a major service. (Major service just means that i got a timing belt changed - along with all the fluids).

They say they werent responsible for the break as they didnt touch the suspension or sterring ....however, Elephant say they will reinburse my costs for this repair.

Basically, I'm looking for the £500 it took to clear up the damge done by the power steering, the break hose and the car I had to hire for the 9 days that my car was off the road for (£270 for 9 days, you can guess what kind of car it was...not exactly flash - i tried to keep costs low and reasonable.).

They didnt seem to take notice of VW's report, or the report of my local garage. the people that physically looked at my car and even fixed the problems.

Who has the greater authority there?

What are my next steps?

Am i right to ask for this?

Should i consider court?

I'm in no way a gold digger,and i wouldnt usually even write a letter to companies like this, but all this stuff seems to be pretty compelling.

Your thoughts?

cheers,

James

First route is going down the Insurance Complaints process. Usually 1st complaint will be dismissed, but 2nd / 3rd complaint they wont dismiss. Advise them that you are intending to complained to the Ombudsman, and you require a "final decision" letter from them.

once you have this, complain to the ombudsman, sending them copies of your reports.

Good Luck

Abbey - owed £3260 - Paid up.

Barclays owed £2500 - Paid up.

Halifax, Mint & Egg - next on the hit list

Dont click on the scales - I'm quite proud of my little red dot! - As the little red dot has gone - click away!!!!