Council Issued Summons at Non-existent address

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4673 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, new to forums any guidance appreciated.

I've been living at my current address for About 2 years and been paying Council tax accordingly. I normally receive a yearly bill and pay in advance or just pay when a reminder comes through.

A week or so ago I got a letter from Council saying that unless I paid in full for the current year up until March 2012, that Bailiffs would be instructed to visit my property. I thought this was odd as I'd received no other letters. I rang the council and they said a court summons had been issued and that I had not attended. I checked the address on the letter I'd been sent and there was a digit wrong on the Postcode. I told them this and they said it shouldn't matter as they had an "Arrangement" with the post office that all undelivered letters should be returned to them (they are not sent recorded). I have received no summons to court, nor have I received any reminder on this occasion.

FYI: I think I owed them for 2 months Council tax, an amount I've offered to pay several times, but never been taken up on. They have added £110 to my bill for the court hearing for an address that I don't live at and that doesn't exist- an amount I'm disputing to pay for.

2 questions I guess:

They went to court to pursue me for Council tax over an address that doesn't exist: Is this hearing even valid?

Does a summons have to be delivered into an address? I have a communal mailbox at my current address, so even if a letter DOES get delivered with the wrong post code, there's no guarantee that it get's delivered to me.

More details if required, be interested to hear anyones thoughts.

Regards

Edited by elljaySA
typo!