style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4675 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey people... not really sure that this is the correct forum to post this in, but couldn't find anything more appropriate - I hope I've got it right.

I need some advice...

• My wife and I took out a BUPA Healthcare policy way back in 2003.
  • In September 2009 myself and my family moved to New Zealand. We entered on a six month visa/permit and weren't sure how much longer (if at all) we'd want to stay so kept various UK commitments going in the event that we may return. One of which being our BUPA Healthcare subscription.
  • In March 2010 we decided to remain in New Zealand on a more long term basis and acquired 2 year visas/permits allowing us to reside/work here.
  • Shortly afterwards (I can't recall the exact date but is likely to have been some time in May 2010) I phoned BUPA to advise that we were in New Zealand, would be for some time, and question how this effected the policy. I was advised that I'd need to speak with their International Team in order to get our policy transferred to one that would cover us here.
  • We were in the midst of moving house and more-the-fool-me I decided to call them once we'd moved house etc.... and then promptly forgot about it. :|
  • Sorting through some paperwork this week I came across the original documentation for the healthcare policy and tonight I called them to discuss.
  • Have been advised today that our policy was void from the moment we were no longer uk residents. I assume that this would from a tax perspective as we no longer classed as Tax Residents of the UK once we were out of the country for six months.

They have quoted me for an international policy, but at £660 per month (:!: WTF??) it's considerably beyond what we can afford... but that's besides the point.

My view is that the guy I spoke to on the telephone in 2010 should surely have advised me that our policy was void, rather than inferring there'd be no issues and advising me to discuss transferring a policy to international cover. I certainly wouldn't have chosen to leave things for a while as I did, because at nearly £90 per month I'd have been clearly reluctant to continue paying for it.

I accept that I made an error in forgetting to chase this up sooner, but would there not have been an obligation on his/their part to share such fundamental information with me. I don't recall the exact conversation word-for-word but it's highly unlikely, given the nature of that call, that I would not have disclosed the date we left the UK.

Do I have any grounds for pursuing a refund of the monthly payments (circa £90pm) that we have made since having that telephone conversation with them?

If so, how's best to go about this?

Hello there, welcome back to CAG. :)

There's an insurance forum here and I think you might get more advice there. Fwiw, airness would say that you should be refunded in my personal view, but the guys on the forum should know the answer.

I'll ask the site team to move the thread for you.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Thread moved to Insurance Forum :-)

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Hello again, sorry no-one has been able to answer you.

I can see there's an argument that if you've had no cover they should refund all or most of the premiums. You could contact the FSA [Financial Services Authority] helpline and one of their advisers should be able to talk you through this. Have a look at their website.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum