style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4682 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Have ordered a new car which will not be delivered until at least Jan 12. My current car has gone wrong and when it is fixed I want to sell it to avoid any more costly repairs as I have use of another car until my new car arrives. My question is I have 9+ years NCD if I have a gap of say 6/7 months without insurance in my name will I be able to carry my NCD over to the new insurance on my new car or will I lose it?

Hi, Have ordered a new car which will not be delivered until at least Jan 12. My current car has gone wrong and when it is fixed I want to sell it to avoid any more costly repairs as I have use of another car until my new car arrives. My question is I have 9+ years NCD if I have a gap of say 6/7 months without insurance in my name will I be able to carry my NCD over to the new insurance on my new car or will I lose it?

No you don't lose it. You just have to provide the NCD proof from your last Insurers, together with an explanation of the gap. Best to arrange the new cover over the phone, so you can explain this. If you arrange online, you won't be able to mention the gap and you will then get involved in phone calls/letters afterwards which could be a bit of a pain.

NCD proof is valid normally for up to 2 years, with a few companies accepting proof that is up to 3 years old.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Caroline. I changed insurance companies with one of my cars. I wasnt using this particular car at the time so it stayed in my garage. But because there was two weeks between my old policy expiring, and my new policy beginning, I had to send written conformation that the vehicle had been off-road for those two weeks to the new insurance company. Why? I dont know. After all, the two weeks that the car was uninsured was surely nothing to do with the new (or old) company as they could not ever be liable for any dates that the vehicle wasnt covered by them.

Maybe it was just another ploy by our disreputable insurance companies to make it just that little bit harder for Joe Public to do "the right thing". In other words. never trust a car insurance company operating in England - this is the land of grab so always protect yourself!

I think they have good reason to be checking, whilst they it may make life hard, it's due to all the unscrupulous out there who will have forgotten/didn't bother to insure, have an accident in-between and try to claim from the new insurer. People do that a lot. Your a new customer, they don't know you, why not be cautious.

I think they have good reason to be checking, whilst they it may make life hard, it's due to all the unscrupulous out there who will have forgotten/didn't bother to insure, have an accident in-between and try to claim from the new insurer. People do that a lot. Your a new customer, they don't know you, why not be cautious.

How could I ever claim from my new insurer when I wasnt insured by them? Insurers will not back-date a policy if asked and insurers will try every trick in the book to get out of paying a genuine claim - so they are certainly not going to show any benevolence to a customer.