• Tweets

• Farooq v evri is the judgement you want in.   Do you have a copy of do you want me to upload it again here?
    • I have added the correct format for the court. Country Court ..... as it was on the letter today, other letter had the justice.... . That is on the unredacted copy sent to admins email.   Which Evri judgement, could you give me a steer? Wadhwa one?   It's not in dispute, bar that paragraph you picked up. I was looking at that one, and I do agree it's pointless. Thank you for your help.
    • Firstly, and sorry for not asking earlier but have you submitted your DQ yet?
    • As suggested by JK2054 I'll email Evri to their small claims email address, attaching the label and collection receipt and quoting the Money Claims ref number. Is there anything else in addition to sending the email I should do at this stage? Rgds, J
    • Hi, I'd change justice centre to county court. I also wouldn't be including a telegraph article in the bundle. It doens't prove anything law and you don't have distribution rights on it. I also wouldn't personally break down the exhibits on the index page, normally people have a seperate page for this right before the exhibits. The main index page normally just says Exhibits to WX of [Your Name] or at least that's the format I use/see people here use, although really it makes minimal difference.   I also see that despite referencing several judgements you haven't included the EVRi one   paragraph 46 really needs to go imo it has nothing to do with anything. Your in court to apply the law to your case, not to tell the judge about a newspaper that means nothing to your claim.   I also see you've adopted the issues in dispute/not in dispute, which is also known as a scott schedule. if you are taking this approach, for things not in dispute I would say this needs to be things that are agreed between parties, not things like "There is no dispute that I am happy to supply all this evidence which is included in the court bundle." I would say that issues in dispute is to focus on the aspects of the claim that are in dispute, such as whether liability is limited by insurance or not, so I'd be changing that accordingly.   BF should be along shortly to advise on things.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

LA Fitness Cancellation BS

mh2286
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4616 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Could really do with some help on this one. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My friend who was already a member wanted me to join LA fitness, so I went with him to the interview/induction type thing they take you through, you know, where they explain what they can offer basically. I asked if I could do a 3 or 6month contract or something like that because I expected to leave to go travelling later in the year. The woman told me that they only did 12 month contracts but it wouldn't matter because leaving the country was a valid reason to cancel the contract. I asked specifically if I would have to pay any fees and she just shook her head and said no. Sounds good I thought, so I joined.

Anyway, now the time has come to leave and they are telling my i have to pay £100. Obviously I was annoyed and explained to them that I had been told that there wouldn't be any charges. They said I shouldn't have been told that but unfortunately the fee still stands.

The funny thing is though, I don't recall ever signing anything. I was told I would be sent a contract in the post but I have received nothing. All she did was take my card away for a while and set up the DD. I didn't even sign anything for that. My friend who joined at the same time says he hasn't had one either. Is this normal? Is there some other way that I am legally tied into a contract where I haven't signed anything?

I've just written a letter (see attachment) which I plan to send to their head office telling them that I'm not going to pay their fee and that since I haven't signed a contract I have zero legal obligation.

Is this a good idea? Am I missing something? Please advise.

Thank you for you time

LA LETTER.txt

Hi Mh and welcome to CAG

Your letter looks fine but will no doubt be ignored by LAF's HO.

My only concern is that you may be travelling and not able to continue to deal with any ongoing dispute. This could even lead to a Default being registered against you for the alleged debt.

So I suggest you take steps for someone to monitor post and let you know, by email, what the gym's HO are doing about this.

You don't want to come back and find a Default on your CRA file or (highly unlikely) a CCJ if they took court action which was not acknowledged and defended.

Send off the letter and see how they reply. No prizes for guessing what they'll say. :-(

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

It should be able to get my mother to monitor the post. I'm not leaving the country until July 19 but I suspect they won't get interested in this untl after the end of July when they top getting there money.

Have you heard of them not physically issuing contracts before? I really don't understand this.

If they do put a default on my record how easy is to remove and how will it affect me. Does it last for ever or will it expire. I don't really understand credit ratings.

Thanks

Hi Mh,

See here about LAF not issuing a contract document - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?305668-Help-with-cancellation-of-my-LA-fitness-contract-please&p=3410757&viewfull=1#post3410757 They seem to have an in-house sign up facility which they probably use to their advantage.

Yes, they'll only kick off when you miss a payment they want.

If they register adverse credit data against you, it can stay on file for 6 years. However, if there's a dispute about whether you owe the amount in question, you can notify the CRA's that the debt is disputed. You can also set about getting the adverse data removed altogether but this can take time.

If adverse data remains on your CRA records, it can seriously affect your ability to get credit or make credit more expensive with, for example, higher interest rates on credit cards.

Edited by slick132
typo

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks for that link. I read the part where someone said that basically they set up a 'credit agreement'. Is this legally binding? It sounds scary. Do you think I should give 30 days notice and pay next months fee, or am I right in believing that since I haven't signed any contract I don't legally have to give any notice. I'm still baffled by this whole thing really. It seems so underhanded and shady and I have know idea what the legal ramifications of all this are. How are they able to issue a default on my CR? Don't they have to demonstrate that I've signed a contract to do that? The biggest thing I'm worried about is being take to court and having to cancel my trip half way though and come home early. I'll be able to keep a close eye on my mail and send replies but what happens if they take me to court? What's the procedure? I know you say it's unlikely but I just want to know what would happen worst case scenario.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate your advice.

If you haven't yet sent the letter, include the following paragraph.

.......... point have I ever signed any legally binding document, or any document for that matter, which stipulates I should pay any cancellation fees.

If you have a contract on which you are relying, please supply a copy of it. I was told I would be sent one but this never happened.

I now consider the matter closed, however, should ..........

If the letter has already been sent, send a second letter to deal with this. You need to see what they have and what they're relying on.

I read the part where someone said that basically they set up a 'credit agreement'. Is this legally binding? It sounds scary. Do you think I should give 30 days notice and pay next months fee, or am I right in believing that since I haven't signed any contract I don't legally have to give any notice.

To my knowledge, there's no credit agreement involved.

If there's no signed contract, you are not bound to give any notice.

If there is a contract which you agreed to on their in-house computer system (eg, by ticking a box), you still have grounds to argue your case for leaving without penalty. In this case, it would be reasonable for you to give a month's notice.

:cool:

I was never presented with a tick box or shown anything on a computer screen. I noticed once when I was leaving the gym that they were showing a group of people (who were obviously about to join) this touch screen thing which looked as though it was meant as means of signing people up to contracts quickly. But this wasn't there when I first joined. I've made those changes to the letter and will send it today.

What would you anticipate there response would be and how would you suggest I deal with it? From what I've seen on here, most of the responses are somewhat predictable and I want to try and have a few response letters already written up so I don't have to keep writing new ones when I'm on the road. I will have a netbook with me so I can keep in fairly regular contact with my home address and get letters sent out/received etc.

Thanks again for your help.

Matt

Hi Mh,

There's no point in trying to predict what they'll say although I'd expect them to basically ignore your assertions and continue seeking payments.

We'll see soon enough.

:wink:

I received a letter from LA fitness today (see attachment). It basically ignores my letter and just demands I set up a new DD.

I realised that I forgot to put the date on the letter I sent. I sent it through registered mail, so shall I just resend my last letter with a photocopy (see attachment) of the post office receipt so they can't claim to have not received it?

Any advice as to what I should do next would b much appreciated, thanks.

Matt

edit

Ok, looks like the attachments are stupidly small, any idea how to alter this?

The letter reads:

We have recently received notification from your bank that you DD has been cancelled therefore preventing us from taking any further payments. When you joined you signed into a minimum 12 month agreement which is still active, meaning you are unable to cancel your membership at this point.

Please would you contact the above number as soon as possible so that we can arrange for a new DD to be set up. Alternitavely you can complete the DD Mandate below and forward it to the address above.

Failure to rectify this problem will result in your membership incurring arrears and may prohibit you from using the club.

img197.jpg

img196.jpg

Write back saying:-

I refer to your letter of xxdate.

You have totally ignored my last letter which I realise was not dated but was sent to you on xxdate by Recorded Delivery.

In case you have mislaid it, I enclose a further copy with the date written on it.

Please address the issues raised in my letter and reply accordingly.

If you continue to ignore my assertions and demand payments, I will refer the matter to the FOS without further notice.

Send by normal mail if you want to save money but get a free Certificate of Posting from the PO when you send it.

Thanks slick, Ill send that off tomorrow.

Just out of interest, what is the procedure for referring them to the FOS? It says in that little drop down info thing that I shouldnt bother. Am I just writing this to show I mean business?

Thanks for your advice.

As a general rule, you should never threaten to do something unless you intend to actually do it. So saying "I'll take court action within 14 days" when you know you won't, is a waste of everyone's time.

You can refer the matter to the FOS by writing a brief summary of your complaint and enclosing copy documents.

We know the FOS can be painfully slow so this is not a good move, for instance, with Credit Card charges claims. With these, going to court is a better option mostly.

However, in a case like yours, the FOS is a reasonable option.

In the meantime, see how they respond.

• 2 weeks later...

Received a letter today, not sure what to make of it:

I am contacting you in response to your recent letter regarding your membership. I have looked into the issues you have raised and my response is as follows;

I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with the service ou have received from LA Fitness, I can assure you we do endeavour to provide the best possible service at all times and therefore apologise if you feel this has not been achieved.

Unfortunately we are unable to action your cancellation request at this time as you are still within your initial term until 11/01/2012.

We understand that member's circumstances do change therefore we allow our members to cancel within their inital term due to moving more than 20 miles away from any of our clubs. This is offered as a gesture of good will, proof is required as well as a cancellation fee as the agreement is being broken.

In regards to your comments regarding the contract, there is no signed contract as this offer was actioned and agreed to through our website by entering all of your personal details and agreeing to the onine terms and conditions. Please be advised confirmation of the contract and terms and conditions are sent to your email address once the online application is completed.

As your direct debit has been suspended we will be unable to apply for your next payment due at the end of July, to reinstate this in line with the agreement please contact Member Services on 08447707700.

If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact.

At no point have I ever been shown any terms or conditions nor have I ever ticked any boxes. All I can assume has happend is that when she took my card away she just quickly ticked all the boxes herself on some computer in the back. This is so gross. They've never sent me any email.

I got the same letter today! With the Same message. Maybe they send batch mails to everyone? Let me know what you are going to do from here. Im so confused and I dont want to pay for a 12 month contract that I wont use :)

word for word? They are so underhanded. I can't believe they are claiming I agreed to this 'online'. I did absolutely no such thing. It's such a dirty trick. They know I won't be able to prove that it wasn't me who actually ticked the box so its just perfect for there needs of trapping people into misleading agreements with hidden fees. So angry!

Not exactly word for word although some paragraphs are just the same. Yes I am really angry and I have lost 40 pounds which now I couldnt care less about but I Do not want debt agencies behind my back sending me letters home to pay thr monthly fee. Like you I didnt tick anything myself. The instructor quickly flipped through the pages and didnt ask me to read anything. Worst Gym Ever

The trick is I told them I was either leaving the country or moving to wales (because I actually am). Hence the paragraph in your letter that states that people who move away from a 20 mile radius can cancel is missing in my letter. Again another one of their silly tricks to keep me tied to their contract

Hi all

very interesting reading and from what I have read think you should go down the route of being miss sold this contract by there salesperson also who was it that entered your detail onto there online signup because if this was done by the salesperson without your knowledge or even viewing this contract then this has been miss sold I would speak to trading standards and CAB

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I called trading standards and they directed me to CAB. CAB did address the issue however that too was more or less or a generic email reply which states that since its not an online contract i cannot cancel. However when i spoke to someone over the phone at CAB he said that misrepresentation of information is an offence and therefore i had every right to cancel my DD with notice.

How do I approach TS? I'm not sure what CAB is. I'm leaving the country on Tuesday. I can still send out letters but I can't phone are meet anyone.

Lol at least you had pages to look at GeeKaush, I wasn't given anything to look at and agree to.

CAB is citizens advisory bureau. Try contacting them on Monday. citizensadvice.org.uk-- 08444 111 444. Also I got a couple of contact names of people in the headoffice if this would help.

I quote from another blog -

"The CEO’s name is Martin Long. I do not *know* his e-mail address, but based on the other Head Office e-mail addresses, I can only guess it is mailto:martin.long at lafitness.co.uk

The Executive PA is Carmel Proctor. Her e-mail address carmel.proctor at lafitness.co.uk. I had managed to speak to Carmel about the problem(s) I was having, and she was the only helpful person.

The Member Relations Manager is Neil Hodgon. His e-mail address neil.hodgon at lafitness.co.uk. Please be aware that Neil ignores e-mails, evades points and lies as much as the Regional and Branch Managers at LA Fitness.

My advice is to go straight to the Board and speak to Carmel.

The umbrella company that own LA Fitness:

midoceanpartners.com/#/home/

"

Good Luck. and No like you I had no papers to look at as well :(

Hi Mh,

I suggest you reply along the following lines.

Dear sir or madam,

I refer to your letter of xxdate.

You say, " .......there is no signed contract as this offer was actioned and agreed to through our website by entering all of your personal details and agreeing to the onine terms and conditions." I absolutely refute this suggestion.

I was told by your staff representative that I would be able to leave when I go travelling and there would be no penalties or problems.

I made no on-line application and did not agree to your on-line terms and conditions. All I did was give your staff member my bank card to facilitate payment. If an "agreement box" was ticked, this was done by your staff member WITHOUT my knowledge or consent.

No confirmation of any contract, agreement or terms and conditions have ever been sent to my email address.

Accordingly, I will now report these further facts to Trading Standards and to the FOS for formal investigation.

This matter remains in clear dispute and you must desist from making any demands for payment.

Before I make my formal complaints, I will give you a further 7 days to confirm in writing that you accept my assertions, namely:-

1. I was told by your staff that I could leave to go travelling without penalties or problems about the initial "contract" period.

2. Your staff used my details to make the on-line application without my knowledge or consent.

3. I was never sent details confirming the existence of an application or contract.

If you agree to drop this matter within 7 days, I will let the matter rest as I have no time to waste on such matters.

If I do not receive your written assurance within 7 days, then my formal complaints will be made without further warning.

Yours faithfully,