CCTV camera and street sign in garden

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4622 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I wonder if someone might be able to help me with a query I have. I purchased a property 5 years ago which was a converted police station and in the "garden" (patch of tarmac outside the sitting room windows) was a large (approx 25ft tall, and 4ft square CCTV camera) and also a sign directing traffic to a nearby car-park. I get no financial compensation for them.

I wasn't fussed about them really - but I changed my garden fence and the council have been around saying that the fence was too high and saying that if I didn't take 2ft off the top then they would take me to court. It seems that before I bought the place someone else had tried to add a higher fence - the council kicked up saying it was against planning, the owners at the times didn't apply for retrospective planning permission so it went to court and it was judged that a fence that high could never be sited there (which was annoying for me). The planning offices said I had no option but to cut down the fence or they would just take it to court and it would go straight though as it had already been agreed.

Well, I have cut the fence down - but I have this CCTV camera and sign post in my garden (which I now want rid off!) I have looked through the deeds and there is no mentions of them - and nothing I can see on any other documents.

would anyone happen to know:

a) Would I be entitled to anything from the council for these being sited on my land?

b) Would I be entitled to request they resite them, and make good the garden?

c) Would I have a leg to stand on writing to them about the above, or could they just make my life more difficult?

Many thanks in advance

Graham

• 4 weeks later...

I assume that when you purchased the property that there were no conditions pertaining to the CCTV?

Also have you written to the council requesting a copy of permission letter from the previous land owner for the original installation of the CCTV?

What are the protocals now if maintenance needs to be undertaken to the CCTV? how do staff access you land with/without permission.

Have you written to the council requesting that they relocate the CCTV? and what was there response.

I assume that when you purchased the property that there were no conditions pertaining to the CCTV?

Also have you written to the council requesting a copy of permission letter from the previous land owner for the original installation of the CCTV?

What are the protocals now if maintenance needs to be undertaken to the CCTV? how do staff access you land with/without permission.

Have you written to the council requesting that they relocate the CCTV? and what was there response.

Thanks for the reply.

I've just written to the council asking for the details and permission for this to be located on my premises. I requested it under the FOI act and the 20 days reply time is up today, so I'll see what happens.

There was no conditions when I purchased the house regarding the CCTV, and as I am never really in I don't know how they get to the CCTV camera - I did notice however that they recently changed the car park sign, so they must've got in my garden to do that.

I'll let you knw when I hear anything from the coucncil, and if I don't hear anything in the next week I will be contacting the ICO to find out why they are not replying to an FOI request.

Thanks again for the reply...

Subbing. Sounds like they deserve the run around off you :)

PLEASE DONATE ANYTHING THAT YOU CAN

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

George Bernard Shaw

Go on, click me scales (if I have helped) :grin:

Hi all,

I've had a reply from the council as below:

Legal Services:

The property was formerly a Police Station. It is believed that the poles were installed on your premises while the property was a Police Station. When the property was sold it would have been the responsibility of the conveyancer to ensure that the sale was correctly undertaken and searches done to ensure the correct permissions were in place for the camera.

As the Council was not privy to the sale we cannot advise what checks were carried out. Therefore we advise that you contact the police regarding this matter who may be able to assist further.

Crime Disorder & Reduction Team:

CCTV: This would have been installed by a consortium of XXXX Council, XXX TC, XXX Chamber of Commerce and the Police approx. 7years ago, I believe.

We believe that the address refers to the former Police Station building in where we have a CCTV camera – this camera was erected in 1999 and the district councils gained wayleaves for all cameras situated on private property with the then owners (which subsequently changed, the new owners should then have been notified via their solicitors on purchase). CDRT do not hold copies of the wayleaves. The camera is pole mounted not building mounted.

Property Service:

From the responses already given it would seem that permission was sought from the owner of the property at the time the items were put up – this would have been by way of a wayleave or easement. Each party should have a copy of the agreement, which transfers with the deeds of the property when the ownership changes.

I am not certain if this is the case for signage, but certainly for utilities, although permission is still sought to place equipment on private land, if it is not forthcoming the utility companies can exercise their statutory rights to enter land and carry out the works.

can anyone advise, would I be entitled to ask for them to re-site the camera and sign?

any help really gratefully received.

Thanks