style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4682 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've been with the same motor insurer for some years and always renewed by phone. I've always been asked if I agree to my insurance being renewed automatically and always made it clear that I don't.

A week or so ago I made the yearly phone call and renewed (after a bit of chat and negotiation of course). As always I paid the premium in full. This time I was told that my insurance would automatically renew using the payment details I had given and I made it very clear that I did NOT grant continuous authority. The girl on the other end of the phone just laughed so I repeated the instruction until she grudgingly said "OK".

I immediately emailed the company insisting they confirm in writing that my records show my instruction. The reply, received today, was as follows:

I can confirm that your motor insurance is now (my bold) not on inertia renewal therefore next year you will have to call us to renew your motor insurance policy.

It's that little word 'now' which I find interesting. I have never had a policy on inertia renewal even though we have two cars insured with the company and have done for years. I now have a strong feeling my instructions were ignored by telesales staff, presumably to meet some target. Good job I insisted on it being checked and confirmed.

I've been with the same motor insurer for some years and always renewed by phone. I've always been asked if I agree to my insurance being renewed automatically and always made it clear that I don't.

A week or so ago I made the yearly phone call and renewed (after a bit of chat and negotiation of course). As always I paid the premium in full. This time I was told that my insurance would automatically renew using the payment details I had given and I made it very clear that I did NOT grant continuous authority. The girl on the other end of the phone just laughed so I repeated the instruction until she grudgingly said "OK".

I immediately emailed the company insisting they confirm in writing that my records show my instruction. The reply, received today, was as follows:

I can confirm that your motor insurance is now (my bold) not on inertia renewal therefore next year you will have to call us to renew your motor insurance policy.

It's that little word 'now' which I find interesting. I have never had a policy on inertia renewal even though we have two cars insured with the company and have done for years. I now have a strong feeling my instructions were ignored by telesales staff, presumably to meet some target. Good job I insisted on it being checked and confirmed.

This is getting worse. Because retention rates have dived and continue to do so, the Insurers are making it more difficult not to renew. I suspect that some Insurers have also reduced the number of staff answering cancellation calls. Having worked with IT/telephony systems in the Insurance industry, it has always been the case that companies prioritise sales calls including those wanting to renew and allow longer queuing times for cancellation calls. This is why you get a long list of options when you phone e.g. press 1 for sales, 2 for customer services and then a longer list of options for customer services.

So you did the right thing Hightail to ask for the auto renewal switch off to be confirmed to you. Just make sure you check the renewal letter when received, just in case a 'computer glitch' switches it back on again in time for renewal. It should not happen, but it is not unheard of. Some of the IT systems these companies use, are not as reliable as you would think they would be.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

You renewed, it went onto inertia renewal you asked for it not to be, their use of now was correct.

My point exactly. When I renewed by phone I made it clear that it should not go onto inertia renewal and their use of 'now' shows that my express instructions were ignored.