Can I avoid Business rates on a Council Property by using a Virtual Office?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4663 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I live in a Council property and am starting a business. I want to avoid opening paying business rates and planning permission issues so I'm using another address ie one of these Virtual Office packages that offer a Mailbox and mail forwarding service. I'm prohibited from using my Council home as a base for business and face eviction if they think I'm running a business from there. Will using a Virtual Office be sufficient to avoid complications?

By complications I mean Business Rates and possible eviction, my rental agreement states I cannot start a business from my home without permission. Asking for permission will start the whole assessment of Business Rates and highlight the lack of planning permission.

• 4 weeks later...

The first question is - do you need to pay business rates?

Are you planning on using any area of your home *exclusively* for the business, or would you, for example, be using the garage to store both stock, and things like your personal items (lawn mower etc.) and washing machine... There's a dual use exemption IIRC.