Good News Folks! Ppi Refund Success

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5948 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all!

I am writing to tell all forum members my success in obtain a FULL REFUND PLUS INTEREST of my Payment Protection Insurance Premiums due to misselling that was added on two loans that I have - backdated from the day the loans were taken out -that is 5-6 years ago for one loan and 6-7 years ago for the second loan.

My advice to anyone seeking to claim should do as follows(By the way,this process only applies to loans and not credit cards mainly to the complexity of the calculations):

1.Exhaust the complaints procedure within the company.Make sure you keep copies of all fob you off letters etc in a safe place.

2.DO NOT enter longwinded arguments over the phone.In fact do not use the phone at all!

3.Do a SAR - for your records under the Data Protection Act - send your £10 + proof of ID and address etc.

4.When you get the response to your SAR,highlight the amount of the premium plus the interest.

5.Then go down the LBA route etc.

6.One crucial thing you should mention is that the CAB sought to launch the Super Complaint for the OFT to investigate the misselling of Payment Protection Insurance because so many claims are disqualified and the plans are deemed to utterly useless to the consumer.I will be posting more about this later.

FINALLY...

If anyone has any figures and if any help is needed for calculating the premium plus interest amount,post the figures here but please state:

1.Insurance Premium Amount.

2.Interest Rate - not the APR.

3.Start Date of Loan.

4.Amount of Years/Months Outstanding on Loan.

5.Original Loan Term.

In some cases the amounts stated in agreement are clearer so all you do in this case is make a copy of the agreement and extract the figures you need from it.

Good luck with your claims and kick more a**!

• Confused 1

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

thanks for posting this

I have been thinking about doing this with Bank of Scotland and have a loan with them which I have defaulted on.

It is at the stage at the moment where they are threatening earnings arrestments etc.

I am hoping to put the loan account into dispute but am not sure how to word it

Sandy

I was just about to post a new thread when I came across your post.

Briefly my problem is this.

I am in the process of trying to get some bank charges back for my son & his partner.

The loan debt in question has been to the county court due to default. Unfortunately my son did not attend court and the judge ordered them to pay £125 per month.

When I was collating all the paperwork I got from Lloyds I realised that there were actually 3 loans. On each one they were sold P.P.I Insurance, Health Insurance and Life insurance.

I had an interesting phone call with Lloyds this morning.

I was told the the PPI is purchased in full at the start of the loan and is added to the loan amount. It is then charged monthly to the borrower thus creating interest each month

ie.Loan £5000

PPI £1175

Interest £2448

I was told that this will be reclaimed as part of the County Court Judgement which is in force.

I have requested copies of the Credit agreements and details of payments.

I would really appreciate any advice you could give

Thanks

Pam

Hi all!

Now sandy I need more information if you want me to help you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now pampam,this is what I would do:

1.Ask the judge to consider the following ruling:

(Court of Appeal Ruling[2005]EWCA Civ956) in the case of London Securities Ltd v Mr.& Mrs.Meadows and Another.

If there are any defects in the agreement it becomes unenforceable under Section 127(3) of The Consumer Credit Act 1974 because:

1.The Protection amount was imposed on the borrower.

2.The Protection Amount plus compounded interest was within the total charge of the credit facility.

3.Late payment fees may have been added - if there are any they should be mentioned and highlighted to the judge.

By mentioning these points there should be one out of two possible outcomes:

a.The full refund of the PPI amounts plus interest backdated and offset against the loan balances.

or

b.All the loans being unenforceable as mentioned and your son will owe nothing!!

PLEASE NOTE....

1.Also,do not forget to mention the CAB and the super complaint that the OFT has been asked to carry out regarding THE APPALLING MISSELLING(these words are very important) of PPI and its impact on consumers in our country.

Plus the fact that your son has no desire to deprive any ban/insurance company of its monies but equally any bank/insurance company should act in fair and professional manner when selling its products.

2.Whatever the outcome it should sway in your son's favour an he will pay much less or maybe nothing!Although,I personally doubt the latter because it did have other complexities which we do not need to get into.As long as your son gets the PPI refunds he will save alot of money and teach the finance company a good lesson!

Anyway,I hope you find this information useful.

If you have any questions,just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

Hi Nightmare4banks

I have a loan out with Bank of Scotland direct which i have been paying up to a few months ago and defaulted on because they would not consider lower payments even though we told them we were in fanancial difficulty.

Was thinking of posting them a letter disputing the amount and also one asking for the PPI back.

We are at the stage where they are talking about earnings arrestments, court proceedings, etc.

My husband took this loan out over the phone and he sure did not know that he would be paying as much back because of PPI

Any help would be appreciated. Have also paid a loan to yescarcredit which i am confident would be able to get my PPI back

Sandy

Hi all!

sandy,in reply to your post:

1.What you have just stated to dispute the amount owed is the best way forward here.

2.Make sure to send the letter by recorded delivery and retain the recorded delivery stub in a safe place just in case you may need it.

3.You should also threaten to counter sue for the PPI part included in the loan agreement should the finance company desire to take you to court.

Do not be afraid to tell the finance company this.

4.Request that the interest be frozen and offer reduced monthly payments that you can easily afford and stick to them.Do not enter into useless debates over the phone regarding the repayments because they will only stress you out.

It is much better to have everything in writing as evidence should the need arise at a later date.

5.If you do not have all your loan account records,do a SAR as I have explained in a previous post within this thread - the main objective would be to make sure that you have the correct amount to be offset against the loan balance because of the PPI.

I hope you find this information useful.

If you need any more help,just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

NM4B - I currently have a thread on "Mortgages" section - Jacqueline07 v Swift - which asks this question about PPI - so thank you for starting this thread.

My real issue started with the amount of interest we had to pay back but on reading around - I believe that we were pressurised into the PPI "just to complete the loan quickly" as the broker said.

Figures are as follows:

Loan Facility: £15600

Optional PPI: £3276.00

Total loan amount £18876.00

Monthly rate of interest 1.364

Number of monthly payments : 90

Monthly payment: 365.46

Amount of Credit £18876.00

As you can perhaps see from the thread (sorry I don't know how to link!) - we decided to move house 2 months later and it happened really quickly and the redemption figure was as follows:

Settlement figure : £20,162.33 (we only borrowed £15600 4 months before and never missed a payment so no other charges) - their explanation is that the figure due would have been £32315.36 but with "rebate of finance charges" this brought the figure down to £20,162.33. Before joining this site, I didn't think to question it - you assume that they (the mighty) are correct.

Would be most grateful of any comments that you have - I'm preparing my Prelim to them and am so miffed with them that I'm tempted to ask (no, demand!!) both the PPI costs and the early redemption interest costs back. Don't know if this is too optimistic.

Many thanks

Jackie

Abbey: Settled - now for no. 2

Dudley Building Society : claim dismissed - no costs

London Scottish: settled in full :oops:

Capital One - settled in full :p

"Energy and persistence conquer all things" Benjamin Franklin

Any advice, information and thoughts given by me are just my humble opinion

Oops - sorry - the loan was issued on 30th April 2003 and we redeemed on 20th July 2003

Jackie

Jackie,in reply to your post:

1.You should claim now for the PPI ONLY + Interest on the PPI for the several months that you were repaying the loan.This would be £3276 + Interest at 1.364 per month as per the agreement.The interest on the £3276 is around £120 but do not mention this just in case the company calculates different to the way I calculated it.

2.Regarding the claim for redemption penalties/early settlement costs etc for a regulated loan i.e. a loan for £25,000 or less.Simply ask for a revised settlement amount based on the loan without PPI.This amount is to be added to the PPI amount + Interest as outlined in point 1.

3.If the company agrees to refund you,post the figures here so I can go over them for you before you agree to accept the offer.

4.If you have to issue a summons,don't worry I wil guide you all the way.

Anyway,I hope you find this information useful.

If you need any more help,just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

NM4B - Thanks for your advice - I will send letter off today. Will keep you posted.

Jackie

Hi there,

I am so glad I came across this thread and am in need of advice regarding PPI, my story:

I took out a loan with Blackhorse in Feb this year for £5000 and was told that if I didn't take their payment protection plan then no loan!! I was in financial difficulty and desperately needed the funds as I was unable to get a loan elsewhere (default on credit file from 2003), therefore I agreed and signed the agreement when it came through the post.

Having dug out the agreement and related paperwork I am shocked at the cost of the PPP and I did tell them I didn't want it at first but had no choice.

Is there going to be a problem with a secured loan or can I still give it a try????

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I believe this is a case of mis-selling!

Maria

Hi all!

Maria100 in reply to your post:

1.The fact that it is a secured loan does not matter.The main thing is that as long as the loan is for £25,000 or less.

2.This is because any loan amount of £25,000 is classed as a regulated loan under The Consumer Credit act 1974.

Please read through my posts within this thread in order to succeed.If I have succeeded,so why can't you?

Don't worry. I will point you in the right direction if you get stuck.

Hi, I hope you don't mind could do with some good advice

I had a loan with London Mortgage Company from 22/12/2004 to 22/12/2005

The loan was or £35 000 they added £5 600 for PAYMENT PROTECTION INS

So the start of the loan was for £40 600

I have just found the finalized statment and have doubled checked and this is definalty what I have paid to them when I closed the account.

Please can any one advise if I can claim this back

Many thanks lynn

Hi all!

Lynn,in reply to your post:

I have a few questions to ask you:

1.Was the Payment Protection Insurance compulsory in order to obtain the loan?

2.Did you receive advice from a salesperson experienced in Payment Protection Insurance prior to obtaining the loan?

The answers to the abovr questions should hopefully enable me to assist you further.

Hi all!

Lynn,in reply to your post:

I have a few questions to ask you:

1.Was the Payment Protection Insurance compulsory in order to obtain the loan?

2.Did you receive advice from a salesperson experienced in Payment Protection Insurance prior to obtaining the loan?

The answers to the abovr questions should hopefully enable me to assist you further.

Hi, thanks for interest

1. Yes

2. No

Can you claim your PPI back on loans that have been paid? Its just I took a loan with Citi\Associates and then a top up one which paid off the old one. I tried to take it without PPI as it was expensive. The guy went to speak to his boss, then came back through and said I couldnt get the loan without the PPI. I took the loan out in their offices. I also tried to cancel the first one but they said I couldnt cos I had signed it in their offices - think I was still in their offices and waiting for the cheque when I changed my mind.

Nikkiandmidgets Vs BOS (3) - S.A.R sent 11/09/06

Nikkiandmidgets Vs Capital One (2) - S.A.R sent 11/09/06, Prelims sent 20/10/06, LBA's sent 16/11/06

Nikkiandmidgets Vs Citi credit card - S.A.R sent 11/09/06, Prelim sent 9/10/06, LBA sent 28/10/06

Nikkiandmidgets Vs Halifax - S.A.R sent 11/09/06

Nikkiandmidgets Vs Egg (4) - S.A.R. sent 20/10/06

Nikkiandmidget Vs Littlewoods (3) - S.A.R sent 20/10/06

Nikkiandmidgets Vs Blackhorse - Prelim sent 20/10/06 requesting £125 charges to be refunded. LBA sent 16/11/06.

Nikkiandmidgets Vs Welcome Finance (Macadam Finance) - S.A.R and C.C.A request sent 20/10/06

My Mum Vs Halifax - S.A.R sent 11/09/06

My Mum Vs Capital One - S.A.R sent 20/10/06

My Mum Vs Citi - S.A.R sent 20/10/06

My Mum Vs SLC - S.A.R and C.C.A sent 09/10/06

Husband Vs BOS (3) - S.A.R sent 20/10/06

Hi Nightmare4banks,

I have just compiled a statement of claim regarding a PPI policy and wouldn't mind if you have time if you could look it over for me and maybe offer some advice etc. Its a bit long runs to 5 pages..lol If you can help let me know and I will email it to you ..

Thanks

Ian

Lloyds TSB -PPI - Full refund . 05/09/06 :D:p (As Seen on TV) :p

Halifax settled in Full.. :D 22/09/06

TSB First Claim SETTLED IN FULL 19/10/06 :D

Second Claim to Lloyds TSB - Settled in Full

Firstplus - early settlement interest charges - Challenged the use of the rule of 78 - SETTLED IN FULL 12/1/07

PPI - GE Money / Purpleloans / Firstplus - Now Settled after 1 year long hard fight.

If my post has helped you, please click the scales! :grin:

Anything said is my opinion and how I understand the law, always consult professional legal advice before taking something to court.

good morning nightmare, any anyone else who,s following this thread.

i am so pleased i have found this thread, its a bit of a long story (so far) will try and keep it brief, so please bear with me.

june this tear i sent of DPA request to halifax with regards charges on loan account(now paid off) the reply i recieved was a list of charges and a statement saying that they had NOT RECORDED OR LOGGED ANY TELEPHONE CONVERSATIONS THEREFOR CANNOT SUPPLY THEM;

i noticed on the statement of the loan an amount of 995 pounds added under the title insurance...insurance? what bloody insurance?

so, i then sent a SAR request to obtian a signed copy of the original loan agreement along with the statutory fee of 1 pound.

this was then returned to me saying they could not comply because i have not supplied the loan No. this is wholly untrue as the loan No was clearly stated on the request.

i then wrote to the halifax asking them to explain what the loan was for and also included another copy of the SAR request.to which i added the comment " the only reason you can have not to comply with my reguest is if you have something to hide"

I then recieved a long winded letter from a Mr. Bowen full of inaccuraccies in which they make many references to the loan agreement which i had signed, but totally ignoring the issue of whether they are going to send me a copy,

and also stating " i have checked your phone conversations" odd.. i have a letter telling me there are no recorded phone conversations.

And as yet i have still not recieved a copy of the original loan agreement.So, will shortly be sending a third request.actually, think i will do it now.

also, i have sent a letter to the person who replied to my original DPA request asking her to claify the situation for me with regards to manual intervention including telephone conversation..so far, no reply..odd that.

So, basically, thats it up to now.

any advice or comments will, as always, be much appreciated.

regards kevluff

:mad:LF53

Hi all!

Maria100 in reply to your post:

1.The fact that it is a secured loan does not matter.The main thing is that as long as the loan is for £25,000 or less.

2.This is because any loan amount of £25,000 is classed as a regulated loan under The Consumer Credit act 1974.

Please read through my posts within this thread in order to succeed.If I have succeeded,so why can't you?

Don't worry. I will point you in the right direction if you get stuck.

Hi again, thanks for the reply. I will be starting my own thread to track my progress but do you know if there is a template letter for the initial approach - I'm sure I seen one somewhere but can't locate it now!

kevinlufflum,in reply to your post:

I believe that you have confused two issues here:

1.SAR (Subject Access Request) is when you request all your records with a finance company,pay the statutory fee of £10 together with proof of address and proof of ID.All the be sent by recorded delivery to the Data Controller of the company.The company has 40 days to respond.

2.CCA request is a request to obtain a copy of the agreement that ou have signed with a loan/credit card company.In this case you send £1.

If you need more information,please read the other threads associated with each topic.