Mortgage arrears barclays

Joanne1989
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4321 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have got approximately £4500 mortgage arrears and 6 broken arrangements even though I have informed them when I have broken them as I knew I would and I have been off work this month so broken my last arrangement. The reason for the mtg arrears is due to being I'll when pregnant then my other half leaving me! My last arrangement I have been paying £1089 which was £488 towards my normal payment and the rest off the arrears however barclays wont set another arrangement up for me instead say they will be referring it to some debt management people. I am not sure what to do and don't want my house repossessing but not sure If it's going to happen. I am currently working full time n really struggle making a payment of £1089 but have been since jan 2011. Please advise

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Given your income, you are paying far too much towards the arrears ! no wonder you can't keep it up. I suppose Barclays told you what they wanted you to pay instead of you telling them what you can afford ?

You need to write to them encllosing a budget sheet and making an offer of payment you can affiord. I have affixed the budget sheet we normally use, it calculates automatically as you fill it in. If you need help constructing the letter to Barclays, I'll happily draft one for you. Your home won't be repossessed if you can keep up payments and a reasonable amount towards the arrears.

Once you have completed the budget sheet come back and let us know how much you have left over each month to pay towards the arrrears.

Budget Sheet.xls

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

They have said because of the broken arrangements they will be putting it forward to a debt management company who will visit my house, as the leel of arrears is high and also the high number of broken arrangements.

Barclays said they needed to be paid over a year however will not set anymore arrangements whatsoever even though I wanted to set it for the same amount o start from next month.

I have done a budget previously and genuinely have reason or non payment but the way the senior rep at barclays spoke to me it was clearly stated they would be referring it if I missed this months payment, to which my reply was I would have no way of paying it however could spread it over he remaining six month of the arrangement but the man said no it would be referred.

Thanks

Well they can say what they want, but you should only pay what you can afford. If they send a debt advisor to your home they will most likely charge you for it, so you need to write them the letter I suggested with your realistic offer of payment, that way if they do take further action you can prove you have tried to come to an arrangement with them. Lenders always want arrears paid over a shorter period of time than is usually practicable but there is no point in saying you will pay a large amount each month if you will struggle to keep it up. If it ever did go to court the judge would only order what you can afford.

Have you filled in the budget sheet I affixed to my previous post ?

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

I will do that tonight and work everything out, is it likely that my home will get repossessed?

I am worried as I have two young children.

I still have the arrangement in place that will break until the 30th June and they said it would take three weeks for the company to come out, who to be honest I would prefer not coming as my children will be here if I am not at work.

I explained to the colleague at barclays that I know ie had broken arrangments but this one I've paid 5 months required. I did ask them to add it on or extend the term but they also said no.

I feel like I don't have any options left due to violating precious arrangements if that makes sense. However I have always stayed in contact with them to prior warn them if I knew I wouldn't manage to make it. Many thanks again

I'll draft a letter for you and affix to this thread, once you have done the budget sheet let me know how much you can realistically afford to pay towards the arrears each month in addition to the normal monthly payment. Please don't cut back on essential things just so you can offer a large amount to keep them off your back, much better to offer an amount that you can sustain.

I think I'm just scared of losing my home hence the reason forthe large payments, I have been cutting back beyond belief on everything to maintain payments. granted I have a car I need and try still to get kids think but hunt on car pots etc. I'm just scared they'll come repossess my house like has now been threatened by barclays

Hi, I know you're scared and they'll know that too, that's why they take advantage of your fear and demand large payments because they know you'll do amything to keep them happy. They can't "just come and repossess your home", they would have to take you to court first and there is no way a judge would allow repossession of your home when you have an income and can make your mortgage payments plus a bit extra towards the arrears, also you have two children living in your property which makes a big difference.

Fill in the budget sheet and then let me know what you can afford.

Hi I can afford £800 but that leaves me to where I have just enough spare for petrol to get to work so should I ask that I pay less or this doesn't leave any money for kids clothes and to do anything at all, I dont want then to refuse it

Hi there, I suggest you offer much less - if they refuse it you make the payments anyway and see what they do. If they were to take this to court there is no way the judge would expect you to pay £400 extra per month - he would more than likely halve it !! There is case law which the judge can consider that allows for arrears to be paid over a long peroid of time - even over the remaining life of the mortgage. Barclays will know all about this case law, but will not expect you to know.

If you wouldn't mind - could you email your budget sheet to me at [email protected] ? I can then advise what you should be including.

Hi, yes I have received it and replied.

Yes, but I can't read it as it is scrambled in the body of the email. Can you attach the file to an email rather than put it in the actual email ?

Hi there, I haved affixed the letter to go with the budget sheet. Make sure you send by special delivery and keep a copy for yourself. Check on the royalmail website a few days after posting to print off the signature receipt -keep that safe with your copy of the letter in case we need it later.

Joanne1989.doc

Have you checked if they have signed for it?

Did the post office not give you a white till receipt ?

Do you have access to a fax machine ?

It's ridiculous that the post office gave you no receipt - the whole point of recorded delivery is that you can use the receipt to check that it has been signed for. If you have a spare £5 you could send the letter again by special delivery - that way it is guaranteed to be delivered the next day - but you must insist on a receipt so you can check they sign for it. Do not leave the post office without getting a receipt. Make sure you keep a copy of the letter and budget sheet for yourself.