Victim of car insurance fraud

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4622 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello :)

In March, I was involved in an incident where someone claimed I had reversed into them (at around 1 mph if that much). Since I knew there had been no contact, no accident, we involced the police at the time. I phoned my insurance to inform them someone might contact them with a fraudulent claim and described what actually had, or rather, had not happened.

I expected to never hear from them again.

About 3 or 4 weeks later, I was told that the third party had put in a personal injury claim. Of course, we objected to pay anything.

At the beginning of May, they sent someone to talk to us about what happend.

Yesterday, in the middle of June, we received a letter claiming that correspondence with the police is attached (it isn't, all we got was a letter and a return envelope) and an offer of settlement on a 50/50 spilit liability. Needless to say, we will object, as there has been no accident.

The insurance left us hanging in there without keeping us informed about updates, and generally seems to be very unprofessional about it, so we will change insurance companies anyway when it comes to renewal.

My question is: other than objecting to payment, is there anything we should do? I don't know anything about the legal circumstances, but I feel I don't know what to do to defend myself properly. This is using up a lot of energy, really quite stressful :(

Thank you very much!

did you take any photos of the vehicles at the time?

you need to contact the Police again and report it as a fraudulant claim and give them all the details again.

contact your insurance co and tell them that is what you are doing and they should forward all the information they have to the police.

Thank you for the quick answers.

I didn't take any photos of the vehicles, neither was damaged. Police attended at the time and looked at them as well and didn't see any damage.

Thanks for the link to the IFB website.

Already asked the insurance to send us the police report with the objection letter we're sending, but thanks.

I've got the claimant's name and phone number that the police gave me on the day, so will be able to forward that to the police again as well.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am currently researching for a film on slam-ons, compensation and insurance. If anyone has fell victim to a fraudulent claim, put in a dodgy claim themselves to get one over on insurance companies, or knows anyone involved in these sorts of situations, please do get in touch with me here. Any conversations will be held in absolute privacy.

Thanks a lot!