Esure House Insurance Cancelled following Burglary

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4698 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I hope somebody will be able to help me with this problem. We have recently had some building work done on our home and, as requested in our house insurance policy advised Esure in writing that this was the case.

Our less than competent builders installed a new boiler in our utility room before they had put a roof on the room. The boiler was stolen.

A police officer came to investigate and noted the burglary and issued a crime number and asked if we were insured. We advised we of course were and he advised me that the insurance company would ask me whether there was forced entry, he advised not to answer this question and refer the insurers to him personally. I followed his instructions. Esures claims handling company (TCF) were quite aggressive in asking me to answer this question but i stood firm and referred them to the PC.

I was shocked at the nature of the questioning and alerted the financial ombudsman who contacted esure to advise them that they were aware of this case and were monitoring developments.

Today i have received a letter advising that i have breached the policy conditions in not providing information and evidence asked for. My policy is cancelled effective 7 days time.

Can they do this to me? What have i done wrong. I am told that non-disclosure is the worst kind of insurance cancellation and that I will struggle to get insured in the future. I am a victim of crime, where is the justice here?

Hello and Welcome,

I've moved this thread to the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

Sorry, this is going to be harsh.....

I don't think this is non disclosure or policy voidance, others will probably clarify this point better than me, that would be you misleading them at the point of sale. They are invoking the policy cancelation due to their not wanting to do business with you and declining the claim for refusing to supply information.

Awful advice from the police by the way, Esure have taken a hard stance here, but you are coming across as uncoperative over a pretty simple, but very important question. If there was no sign of forced entry and you have witheld this, I think they have every reason to want to cancel the policy.

Look at it from their view, You have a theft during building works, they are going to ask questions, they are going to be suspicious, holding information back is going to come across as suspicious.It would be different if you couldn't answer the question, but you chooose not to. If you have nothing to hide why not say it? Your not coming across well at all.

Going to the FOS about being asked questions again can be read as suspicious, it's well known deflection tactic to complaint when the questions start getting asked. The FOS may dissaprove of the way TCF ask the questions, but that's all, and if TCF are taking an agressive stance for good reason, the FOS will support the insurer.

Suggest if you want them to do something about it you eat some humble pie and explain your reasons, and then if they accept what you have to say,give them what they want.

Agree with everything Mwynci had to say.

The boiler was installed without the roof being on. This was relevant, as the theft would not have been covered. Insurers will exclude cover for such items in the open. The policeman realised this and tried to be helpful, but in doing so has given you advice which has led to these problems.

Instead of making the claim, you should have sued the contractor for negligence in not safeguarding the boiler.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread