Procedural Enquiry for Contents Insurance Problem

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4683 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dearest People,

I need some advice on how to handle a particular issue, it's a little left of the norm, so please bare with my ramblings, I promise there is an enquiry there somewhere?

About a year ago I was burgled, much stuff costing mucho plenty was taken. Police and Soco attended, they gave crime number and shrugged there shoulders as they invariably do and put it down to kids and drugs. After evidencing ownership and proving value, the claim was duly settled. No problem apart from the complete destruction and loss.

I have recently separated from my ex and in the process of her clearing out, she found an item that has been paid out from the settlement. It's of low value, she genuinely believed it was gone, we searched high and low for it, we were honest and declared truthfully.

My question, all be it a multi question, question?

1) Should I inform the insurance company at all and explain, possibly offer to hand back the item or money?

2) How should I inform the insurance company, email, phone, letter, letter from my Solicitor?

3) What is the likely action/reaction of the insurance company? Accusation of fraud - thank you very much, give me cash?

I would imagine that most would say keep it quiet to Q1. However, I'm honest and I don't want the ex dropping me in it inadvertently/deliberately (quite possible). As Frank said, I'm going to do it my way, on my terms etc.

Your opinions please, I have no idea where I stand and I obviously don't want to contact any company over this? I cannot find the answer to this question anywhere?

Regards.

Write to the insurers and tell them what has happened. Copy to the police with the crime reference number.

The insurers will be surprised. They may not respond but if they do, they may ask for a small amount of money for it.

I don't imagine that you need a solicitor or that you need to be worried about it

Write to the insurers and tell them what has happened. Copy to the police with the crime reference number.

The insurers will be surprised. They may not respond but if they do, they may ask for a small amount of money for it.

I don't imagine that you need a solicitor or that you need to be worried about it

You could do as Bankfodder suggests or just get rid of/sell the item in question. Perhaps donate it to a charity shop if it is an item that they can accept. If your ex-wife contacts the Insurers, it will be treated as a malicious call of no consequence. I have dealt with such calls and have asked for evidence of the allegation to be put in writing. It never arrives. I doubt she has any proof, so it would be your word against hers.

If you contact the Insurers, depending on what it is, they could ask you to send it into them. Some claims departments have a sealed envelope bid system amongst their staff, with the money raised being given to charity. So you could just give them a call and they will probably be grateful/amazed at your honest approach. Someone with something to hide, is hardly likely to phone them. They would just keep quiet.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread