Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

+ Reply to Thread
    Basic Account Holder workaholic duck Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    May 2009

Default PPI Lloyds CC - self employed - legitimate claim?

I had a Lloydsicon Asset credit card (well, still have, except it's now closed and I'm paying off the balance currently standing at around 3.5k) with PPIicon payments showing until I cancelled the policy on 6/12/2006. This was when I realised it was useless to me unless I went bankrupt. Who would it benefit then??! The total payments made = 726.18.

When I opened the a/c in 2001, in the branch, the manager filled out the form. He did ask me if I wanted PPI protection. I hesitated and then he said '...just in case you break a leg or something and can't work?'. So I agreed and said OK, it's sensible. That was it. I distinctly remember that part of the conversation. At that time I had a DDicon to pay the balance in full each month. There was no charge unless there was a balance outstanding, then it was 75p on each 100.

5 years later I was struggling with my business debts, so knowing about this insurance, thought I'd see if it could help somehow. After much discussion they told me they could only help if my business failed completely and I could prove it was closed forever. Since I am 'the business', no employees and run under my own name, I can only see it if I went bankrupt? Then, if that ever happened surely I just walk away from all debts anyway? Therefore, they (Lloyds) would be the beneficiaries?!

At that point I was too exhausted. Then in 2008, another 'blip' in my finances and decided to tackle them all!! Good successes with most thanks to this brilliant site. Only 1 credit card paying interesticon now. The other 4 agreed to 0% with a fixed repayment of half the original monthly payment. This card is one of them and they were probably the hardest to convince. I tried to claim back PPI then aswell as bank charges with no luck.

So, for the last year I have been able to manage.....except now the PPI issue has re-arisen!! For me, just too tempting to ignore! I relish a challenge, especially with financial institutions! BUT I am a little hesitant, which is where I would love some moral support from someone here, please.

Lloyds declined my claim for PPI because, they said, I was covered even though I am self-employed. (That was the reason I used when I claimed successfully from Cap1). But the details were certainly not explained to me at the time and I wasn't given a 'policy'.

I have ALL my statements obtained with a SARicon request. I also have a calculator to work out contractual interest. Now, if I use 23.9% (the cash withdrawal charge is 27.9%/purchases 19.9%, on my monthly statement) being the 'average' of the 2, is this too much?? BECAUSE, if I can use this figure it would wipe out the debt apart from about 300 (in 3 months this will be paid anyway). That is, if I include the charges aswell. This is the tempting bit! Oh, to have another credit card hit the dust!!

Should I go for it? Or, could they turn nasty and revert my repayments back to the hellish interest rate whereby I will be paying them for 40 years+ (no, I won't, but my children will).

Site Team citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB Highly authoritative citizenB's Avatar

Cagger since
    Dec 2007
    I am in
    Back of beyond

Default Re: PPI Lloyds CC - self employed - legitimate claim?

Self Employment is one of the reasons for mis selliing, so yes you should be able to reclaim those premiums you already paid along with interesticon. From what you are saying the sales rep/advisor told you that it WAS a good idea for if you broke your leg.. but did he advise you that unless your business failed then you wouldnt be able to claim ? I doubt that.

I would probably see them trying to retain any refund in order to reduce the balance outstanding.. probably wrong of them to do it.. but it would benefit you in the long run as well!

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running
    Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE
    2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries
    3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here
    4: Staying Calm About Debt Read Here
    5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you
    3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules
    4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly
    5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    May 2009

Thanks for that. OK, started to do a proper claim but I have 2 different calculators. This one:-
    http://www.consumerwiki.co.uk/index....pound_Interest

shows a lower figure than this one:-
    http://www.egalegal.com/compoundWindow

Which one is nearest to the calculations the bank uses? Anyone know, please?

Site Team The Consumer Action Group ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21 Highly authoritative ims21's Avatar

Cagger since
    Feb 2011
    I am in
    excellent spirits

Hi there

Personally I would use the first one

http://www.consumerwiki.co.uk/index....pound_Interest

Purley because it calculates the interesticon and compounds it daily and by reference to the cell formulae you can justify your end figures if you are challenged on them.

ims

If I have helped you please leave me a message by clicking my star

1. Single Premium PPI Q&A Read Here
    2. Reclaim mis-sold PPI Read Here
    3. Reclaim Loan & Credit Card Charges Read Here
    4. The CAG Interest Tutorial Read Here
    5. Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here
    6. Staying Calm About Debt Read Here
    7. Thinking of a Full & Final Settlement? Read Here

How To Upload Documents To Cag Instructions

I DON'T GIVE ADVICE BY PM BUT IF YOU SEND ME A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER HELP THERE

Private message facilities are offered for users to communicate issues that are perhaps inappropriate for posting on the main forum. Site rules explain this in more detail.

If you receive a private message which you consider abusive, derogatory or otherwise inappropriate, whether it be about yourself or other members, please report it using the "report" icon

If you are approached (or have been approached) by private message with an offer of help "Off Forum" or with a view to asking you to visit another website, please inform the site team via the report icon, especially if this results in a request for a fee. Remember, this is for your own protection

my views are my own and are given in good faith to try and help people. Please seek professional advice on your case if necessary

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING
    EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    May 2009

Update. Just been refused repayment of PPIicon. What a surprise. Will take it to fosicon now.
    Interesting thing was that the refusal letter made no mention of my being self-employed, only a sentence saying I was 'employed' at the time! They obviously just didn't read my complaint! They also said that the bank 'would have explained it all to me at the time' - rubbish. It was a complete farce, in my opinion, just to hope I'd go away...well, NO, actually.
    So, another year or so before this one gets resolved! At least I paid off the balance last year so I don't owe them a bean.

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE