• Tweets

• Tangliss, if you can't upload the letter, could you tell us what the heading is please? My understanding is it should say 'Letter before claim' or similar. HB
    • Do you think I should send the CCA request now then instead of waiting? I really can do without the stress. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for responding.
    • How was the "receiver" appointed and what is their role? Appointed by the lender under the terms of their security on the loan (sometimes referred to as "LPA Receiver")? Or are they acting for you in insolveny? What's the current role of the agent?
    • Wait for more replies, but that letter to me can be interpreted as a letter before action. Ignoring it can have consequences. The court to impose sanctions for failure in responding to a letter of claim.
    • I'm still pondering/ trying to find docs re the above issue. Moving on - same saga; different issue I'm trying to understand what I can do: The lender/ mortgagee-in-possession has a claim v me for alleged debt. But the debt has only been incurred due to them failing to sell property in >5y. I'm fighting them on this.   I've been trying to get an order for sale for 2y.  I got it legally added into my counterclaim - but that will only be dealt with at trial.  This is really frustrating. The otherside's lawyers made an application to adjourn trial for a few more months - allegedly wanting to try sort some kind of settlement with me and to use the stay to sell.  At the hearing I asked Judge to expedite the order for sale. I pointed out they need a court-imposed deadline or this adjournment is just another time wasting tactic (with interest still accruing) as they have no buyer.  But the judge said he could legally only deal with the order at trial. The otherside don't want to be forced to sell the property.. Disclosure has presented so many emails which prove they want to keep it. I raised some points with the judge including misconduct of the receiver. The judge suggested I may have a separate claim against the receiver?   On this point - earlier paid-for lawyers said my counterclaim should be directed at the lender for interference with the receiver and the lender should be held responsible for the receiver's actions/ inactions.   I don't clearly understand that, but their legal advice was something to do with the role a receiver has acting as an agent for a borrower which makes it hard for a borrower to make a claim against a receiver ???.  However the judge's comment has got me thinking.  He made it clear the current claim is lender v me - it's not receiver v me.  Yet it is the receiver who is appointed to sell the property. (The receiver is mentioned/ involved in my counterclaim only from the lender collusion/ interference perspective).  So would I be able to make a separate application for an order for sale against the receiver?  Disclosure shows receiver has constantly rejected offers. He gave a contract to one buyer 4y ago. But colluded with the lender's lawyer to withdraw the contract after 2w to instead give it to the ceo of the lender (his own ltd co) (using same lawyer).  Emails show it was their joint strategy for lender/ ceo to keep the property.  The receiver didn't put the ceo under any pressure to exchange quickly.  After 1 month they all colluded again to follow a very destructive path - to gut the property.  My account was apparently switched into a "different fund" to "enable them to do works" (probably something to do with the ceo as he switched his ltd co accountant to in-house).   Interestingly the receiver told lender not to incur significant works costs and to hold interest.  The costs were huge (added to my account) and interest was not held.   The receiver rejected a good offer put forward by me 1.5y ago.  And he rejected a high offer 1y ago - to the dismay of the agent.  Would reasons like this be good enough to make a separate application to the court against the receiver for an order for sale ??  Or due to the main proceedings and/or the weird relationship a borrower has with a receiver I cannot ?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Complaint against Ombudsman Services Property

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2555 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well I have decided that if I can't get justice I will at least name and shame them look up about-esurv.com. I expect to be sued but hey ho, at least I will have some fun in the meantime! You have just got to love the world wide web sometimes... :wink:

Ok, I'm in for a fight and I'm not looking forward to it!

I've not heard back from the Ombudsman yet but I've heard back from Citizens Consumer Advice and they said it's outside of their area of knowledge. I will contact Shelter tomorrow as well. I'm hoping that Ombudsman will be keen to investigate this because the address that is registered to them for the agency is different to the one I went to and this agency only has one branch.

If all fails, my friend is a member of the press. Maybe they will respond better to her? I'm not sure. I wouldn't like to go through small claims court.

[quote=girlsjustwannahavefun;3430597

I for once had a complaint which was resolved by this Ombudsman. Although it was eventually resolved, it took a while since the investigating officer (i feel tempted to name and shame here) dragged her feet until the Lead Ombudsman had to intervene. :mad2:

We're going through a similar nightmare with the Ombudsman Services Property and would love to know how you managed to get the lead ombudsman involved as there is no way we will get anywhere if the case is reviewed by the same officer who is clearly biased in favour of the firm.

We're going through a similar nightmare with the Ombudsman Services Property and would love to know how you managed to get the lead ombudsman involved as there is no way we will get anywhere if the case is reviewed by the same officer who is clearly biased in favour of the firm.

It's very difficult - at the moment, it's a three stage process. Each time they issue a provisional decision, you can accept or reject. If you accept, it becomes the Final Decision. If you reject you have to provide new evidence or show that they made some kind of error in the decision making process. If this works, your complaint gets bumped up a level. You start with an Investigation Officier, then it goes to Investigtion Manager, then up to Ombudsman him/herself. If you get as far as the Ombudsman, when they write, it's the Final Decision regardless. You accept or reject. If you accept, it becomes binding on both parties. If you reject, you get nothing but you can pursue other methods of complaint (court proceedings etc).

I can't find anywhere on their website where this process is detailed and it's not made clear from the outset that this it works, so I can't refer you to anything 'official' to show this is how it works, but that's our experience. Our case was reviewed by the Ombudsman in the end, but it took a very very long time. You just have to stick with it and keep writing the letters. Brace yourself for a long battle.

In the meantime, please contact Steve G (ombudsmans61percent) who has already posted on this thread - he's trying to get everyone to work together to highlight the practices of this terrible unfair process.

Bit of an update... I am pleased to report that my outstanding concerns have now been fully addressed by e.surv. I am satisfied with the manner in which they have resolved my complaint and regard the issue as closed.

• 2 weeks later...

Having used this service a spart of an agents complaints procedure I found that they did not provide copies of responses from the agent, nor have they investigated inconsistancies in what the agent was saying even blatent misleading information which was quoted to us in a decision letter. The first letter decision favoured the agent and completely failed to show rational investigation or deal with the balatant mistruth given by the agent... the second line of review was similarly weighted for the agent despite 6 pages of evidence and no investigative enquiries by this services as to the agents actions... in my view nothing more than an obstacle in the complaints process, they keep asking the complainant for mor eevidence whilst ask the agent to provide nothing. They are not independant and are funded by RICS and the agents. The agents actions were in our view unethical failing to notify us of serious environmental issues .

Hi everyone,

I wondered whether anyone had complaint to Ombudsman Services Property before and had been treated in an unfair manner by the investigating officer?

I for once had a complaint which was resolved by this Ombudsman. Although it was eventually resolved, it took a while since the investigating officer (i feel tempted to name and shame here) dragged her feet until the Lead Ombudsman had to intervene. :mad2:

I complained about this officer, but no response until today and it has been three months now. I suspect they simply brushed my complaint about this ape under the carpet. I wrote to the people in the complaint procedure such as the Director of Corporate Service and Independent Assessor, but to no avail.:mad2:

Does anyone know how I can take this further?

Ta muchly

• 1 year later...

I find after waiting nearly a year for my reply from the property Ombudsman

, it's to be a complete one sided [problem] to protect Estate Agents and lazy Surveyors from bad publicity.

My home buyers survey was a complete joke as so much contradicted it self, no cracks when there was etc.

What really annoyed me the most was marks around the fireplace due to Carbon fumes.

The surveyors said they checked with the Estate Agent details and there was none,

but closely i inspected the sales photos and this clearly showed carbon monoxide marks escaping.What lies

I had a phone call from the property Ombudsman today 24/01/14 or so i believe,didn't understand what it was about then they put the phone down on me

Also contacted Surveyors Solicitors ,after explaining to him my issues and waiting for him to deal with it,you probably can guess he also took no further action.You cannot in the UK sue a Surveyors for neglect,impossible

I will name and shame this firm and Estate Agents myself for there neglect if i cannot take action

I say to everyone here who is thinking or has already bought property DO NOT TRUST THE BUYING SIDE OR PAY HUGE SUMS OF UNNECESSARY MONEY

It's a triangle of of lies and theft my friend, Solicitors,Estate Agents,Surveyors

30 January 2014

Hi,

I submitted a complaint to the Property Ombudsman in December and have just received a 'run around' reply saying they can't take any action - despite the blatant dishonesty of the managing agent of our block who wouldn't even comply with her trade association's rules (ARMA). The email evidence is crystal clear in my firm opinion so I am composing a letter of complaint to the Ombudsman but skimming through the posts in this thread it would seem that I'll be wasting my time.

However, I don't quit easily so will be taking the matter as far as I can.

I'm wondering if anyone has complained to their MP about the Ombudsman? As mentioned above, I skimmed the posts so may have missed something about this possible line of attack.

And does anyone know which Government Minister is responsible for the Property Ombudsman?

I have previously complained successfully to the Insurance Ombudsman and to the Law Society, in both cases getting financial compensation, so why is the Property 'service' such rubbish?

• 2 years later...

I'd be grateful to hear from anyone regarding their experiences of taking further action (of any sort) after the Investigating officer has issued his "final decision".

I am really interested in post 29, which indicates that further investigation is possible after the "final decision". I would also love to hear from anyone who has taken action through the courts.

neither have logged into cag since 2012 sorry

why don't you start a new thread

of your own

then p'haps others can help.?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

• 2 months later...

Hi 0080934.

This has become a bit of a zombie thread but, since you posted only a few months ago, I thought I'd reply.

I had a terrible experience of the OS:P too and I went to court and won, with help from the CAB!

It is possible to make surveyors accountable, indeed the OS:P is, in many ways, just a buffer to stop people getting to court.

I have also been campaigning to my MP for two years now but without any action

- what can you do if you're ignored by your elected representatives?

I've now approached my MSP in the hope of getting something done in Scotland.

Here's the body of the letter I originally sent to my MP:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As your constituent, I write to request action to make chartered surveyors more accountable by the establishment of a statutory property industry ombudsman. My personal experience and subsequent inquiries have convinced me that this is necessary.

My wife and I purchased a house in 2013.

The home report had identified no issues, however it soon became apparent there was an extensive damp problem that would cost around £5,000 to fix. Upon complaining to the surveying firm, they offered us £1,000 (if we accepted non-liability on their part), which we felt was derisory.

We appealed to Ombudsman Services: Property (OS:P) who found fault with the surveyor.

However, to our astonishment, they merely recommended the firm maintain their offer.

Rejecting much advice to settle, we proceeded to the small claims court where we were awarded £3,000, the maximum possible.

The entire episode lasted more than a year, has been exhausting and stressful and has hampered our renovation plans.

We also had to settle for less than we felt entitled to as other legal avenues could have exposed us to extensive legal costs.

I can only speak of my own experience however I feel the ombudsman process currently favours surveyors as:

• It is not a statutory body but funded by RICS members, who have board representation, thus it is not truly independent.

• In our case I felt an exclusion identified by the ombudsman was illogical and weighted in favour of the surveyor but it could not be challenged.

• The ombudsman assesses damages based on DMV (diminution in market value) rather than the cost of putting things right, a fundamental flaw.

• Even where liability is established, as in our case, the ombudsman’s approach is for both parties to share the cost equally. This is unfair, especially as surveyors will have professional insurance and are not left out of pocket.

It is worth pointing out some of the findings of the OS:P’s own customer satisfaction survey from 2010/11:

“Many (around two thirds) felt the report was completely or on balance against them, in line with previous years. This did not change even after further representations were made.”

“Overall satisfaction levels remain low.

Around two in three were dissatisfied with Ombudsman Services: Property’s handling of their complaint. Around one in two would not recommend the service and would not be likely to use it again.

As a result, around two in three felt their confidence in dealing with property professionals had decreased.”

In my view the OS:P is failing to protect consumers. It is short-changing those who have suffered from the negligence of their surveyor and acting as a buffer to keep cases out of the courts.

My wife and I were capable of pursuing our case, but it was still a fraught experience.

Moreover, many people are more vulnerable and they need the protection of the state.

I think it is time that we had a statutory and truly independent ombudsman for the property services industry.

I hope you agree and that I can count on you to seek action in parliament to this end.

Thanks for the reply. Most interesting.

Can you tell me if you decided to go to court after the initial decision by the Ombudsman, or did you appeal their decision?

I have appealed once - following a decision by an investigation officer,

the appeal was reviewed by an investigation manager

- and now I am appealing for the case to be reviewed by The Ombudsman.

I have found out from my own enquiries that this appeal process is possible, although it is not detailed on their website at all.

The whole process just seems to me

- exactly as you say

- a buffer (to make the public believe they are dealing with "a fair, unbiased professional") to keep cases out of court.

It seems very much that they offer a derisory figure in the hope that you will just give up and go away.

As my case is still ongoing I am unable to post specific details on here

- however I am considering the small claims process if the Ombudsman appeal does not have a satisfactory outcome.

I would like to hear further about the assistance you were provided by the CAB and if there is any contact you could suggest within that organisation who may be able to assist me?

Many thanks.

I exhausted the process as it was advised to me. That is, I appealed the initial decision and, when I didn't accept the outcome of the appeal, I was told that was the end of the matter. From their correspondence:

To date, we have investigated your complaint and then reviewed our decision

based on your further representations, as per our process. There is no appeal against the

ombudsman’s final decision and our involvement in this case has now ended. As previously

indicated, you are free to follow other routes to try to sort out the problems in a way that suits

you better, but as you have confirmed your rejection of the final decision in writing, you have

now lost the right to any remedy we have set out.

I wasn't aware of any further level of review (though this may have been different three years ago) and proceeded to contact the CAB who were most helpful in handling my small claim submission to the Sheriff Court. They completed most of the paperwork and even served papers to the surveyor's office.

Hi - I had the same reply as this to my initial decision and appeal.

I think it is actually on this thread that I picked up the fact that there is a further process. Interestingly Ombudsman Service (Property) make you think you cannot take things further as they say you cannot appeal against the Ombudsman decision. (and we think we are dealing with the Ombudsman!). It seems to me that you can appeal against the decision made by an investigation officer, or investigation manager! They just don't want to make this known at all for obvious reasons. The whole process is shambolic.

I came across information somewhere that indicated only something in the region of 10% of cases actually come to the attention of "The Ombudsman". I have now spent over a year on this process.

Was your decision made by "an investigation officer"? The final decision only becomes final once accepted. I didn't accept, so the process still goes on.

Edited by 80934

I dealt just with my local CAB office. The case worker was a distinguished elderly gentlemen who had previously been a lawyer so his expertise and knowledge of the process was a great help. I guess the levels of service may vary locally as the CAB is staffed by volunteers and their levels of experience may differ. In Scotland the maximum award in a small claim was £3,000 at the time. I could have gone to Summary Cause (IIRC) to claim up to £5,000 or to the High Court for up more but that would have exposed me to defence expenses had I lost (and would have meant I hiring a lawyer too). The process elsewhere in the UK is similar.

Thank you - I believe you were very lucky in being allocated a case worker with the experience and knowledge required.

I will certainly look into this when I know the final, final outcome from the Ombudsman. My case is particularly complicated unfortunately. I have had advice from a Solicitor and to appoint him to deal with my case would not be a viable option. The small claims process currently has a limit of £10,000 which would be suitable for my case.

I can't currently post links as I haven't been active enough on this forum but I saw a 2015 article on Property Industry Eye entitled "Ombudsman Services rejects 80% of initial complaints against agents", it should be easy to Google. Things clearly aren't improving! Interestingly after several years of appalling reports from the survey company they were using in 2011, OS:P ditched them. There is a link in that article to their 2014/2015 report. It's all about the numbers but the qualitative stuff, e.g. how people felt about the process, is notable by its absence.

I found the whole episode extremely stressful. It took a year and a half to exhaust the surveyor's complaints process, then the ombudsman (a waste of time as we agree) and then court. It set us back a lot of time in renovating our property as we had a small budget and had to retain enough money to cover the remedial work in case we were unsuccessful. For the money we eventually received it was just about worth it but I imagine that a lot of people would just have thrown in the towel or taken the palm-off figure at the first round. Think carefully before proceeding as anything can happen in court. Our case was never actually heard; as the surveyors didn't send any representation, we were awarded a default decree. They then (rather bizarrely) claimed they hadn't been made aware of the proceedings (the court records showed they had been served) and would contest the ruling but a cheque eventually came through in the post.

Thanks - did you also know that there are actually 3 different Ombudsman services for Property? This is something else that makes me feel very strongly that they are far from "fair and unbiased". If they find too many cases against their members who pay their salaries, then the members can chose another Ombudsman.

I am also unable to pm or post links, but I will try to update on here when any further developments occur.

I would urge anyone who has been a victim of the OS:P to write to their elected representatives (MP, MSP, AM, etc) and demand action to establish a statutory ombudsman for surveyors. The profession has, for too long, been able to regulate itself and the complaints processes they have established are demonstrably failing. They are getting off lightly compared to the focus financial services firms have received for example (FOS, FCA, BoE, etc, all statutory bodies).