Patricia Pearl - Small Claims Procedure - A Practical Guide

An excellent guide for the layperson in how to use the County Court - a must if you are intending to start a claim.

£19.99 + £1.50 (P&P)

BAILIFFS - The Law and Your Rights

Written by John Kruse, one of the leading experts on Bailiff Law, this consumer friendly guide is essential reading for anyone who comes into contact with a bailiff.

The book is easy to understand and clearly explains the rights a bailiff has, and also what they cannot do when collecting debts and repossessing goods etc.

£13.95 + £2.00 (P&P)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
    Basic Account Holder BiggySu Novitiate

Follow Real_CAG on Twitter

Cagger since
    May 2011

Default APCOA Parking speculative invoice. Please Help

On the 10/03/2011 I parked at X Railway Station in order to catch a train to London. I had no coins on me and as it was 6am could not change my notes for coins in the ticket office. As a result I had to pay for my parking by phone. I was also in a rush to catch the train and so did this at the same time as retrieving my pre-ordered ticket from the machine.

As a result of this I made a tiny error. Instead of typing in the 4 digit code for X I got one number wrong and typed the code for Y station. This payment was accepted (I have a record of it leaving my account).

When I returned later that day I found that APCOA had given me a "Civil Parking Notice" for 80 (down to 50 if paid early).

I wished to query this so I telephoned them and spoke to a very reasonable man who assured me that my story would vindicate me as I had obviously acted honestly and with the best intentions, I had simply made a very human error. However, he told me that I had to appeal in writing.

I did this and my appeal was rejected.

Fine I thought, but I'm not letting them keep my 2.50 as well. Surely if they accept that as a valid payment (albeit for a different car park) they cannot also take a fine from me! They cannot have their cake AND eat it!? I wrote another letter requesting a refund. This has now also been rejected and they are still demanding 50.

They have also told me that "Should any further correspondence be received rearguing this matter it will be returned without comment".

What should I do? Many people seem to advocate ignoring these notices however I am wary of this.

Thankyou in advance,
    S

Basic Account Holder Andy77799 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Sep 2009

Default Re: APCOA Parking fine. Please Help

APCOA is a Private parking company so just ignoreicon and and dont contact them and dont pay seems to be the advice.

Others will follow this, I am sure, with ignoreicon Ignore Ignore!

Same with all PPC`s like NCP and parking eyeicon and the millions of others. I did!
    Saved me hard earned cash and changed my anger to a smile when convinced!
    so sent 10% of "dodgy fine" to help this website.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Crocdoc Highly informative Crocdoc Highly informative Crocdoc Highly informative Crocdoc Highly informative Crocdoc Highly informative Crocdoc Highly informative Crocdoc Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jul 2009
    I am in
    Edinburgh

The thing to remember with these companies is that the so called appeal system is nothing more than a fishing exercise and should be totally ignoredicon at all costs.
    Simpy ignoreicon future corespondence .

Cagger since
    Sep 2009

On a similar subject, If I get a ticket at Gatwick airportr from apcoa, can it also be ignoredicon if they are employed by crawley council rather than BAA?

Site Team havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Crawley

Quote Originally Posted by Andy77799 View Post
    On a similar subject, If I get a ticket at Gatwick airportr from apcoa, can it also be ignoredicon if they are employed by crawley council rather than BAA?
    Did you receive one?

If you did, post it up with details removed, that will help us help you.

Jogs

Site Team havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella Authoritative havinastella's Avatar

Cagger since
    Jun 2006
    I am in
    Crawley

Does it say

Penalty Charge Notice TMA 2004

Those are the ones you need to pay!

Jogs

Cagger since
    Sep 2009

No I didn`t but mate was close today. It`s just I think I read somewhere about private companies employed by councils etc would make a difference???

Wanted to know if to avoid like the plague or smile and collect another set!

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution
    Crocdoc Highly informative Crocdoc Highly informative Crocdoc Highly informative Crocdoc Highly informative Crocdoc Highly informative Crocdoc Highly informative Crocdoc Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jul 2009
    I am in
    Edinburgh

Be very careful at Aiports as they are also governed by the Airports Act and normally Road Traffic Orders apply in all areas surrounding Terminal Buildings. Therefore it would be a Penalty Charge Notice and not a parking chargeicon Notice that would be served.

Cagger since
    Sep 2009

ok thanks, airports are a law to themselves and an attitude to match...

Basic Account Holder neilkc Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jul 2011

Unfortunately I appealed to APCOA parking regarding my 'Enforcement Notice' and in doing so admitted that I was the driver. They have rejected my appeal. Can I still ignoreicon the threatening letters or do they have a case against me as I admitted to being the driver.
    Many thanks for any help

Site Team honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13 Authoritative honeybee13's Avatar

Cagger since
    Nov 2009
    I am in
    Pixie land.

Hello neil. Just to let people trying help you know, I believe you have made the same post on your own thread.

It isn't likely to help you having duplicate posts. I'm sure your thread will have some replies soon.

My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running
    Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

IB/ESA Tribunal template successes [that I know about]:
    honeybee13 April 2008; brighton gal January 2010 ; cbbc May 2010 lee100 September 2010 HadEnough October 2010 nitelite February 2011 Pritti March 2011
    Nottingham1989 [with leemack] June 2011
    Follows
    Following

Cagger since
    Sep 2009

I appealed too. dont worry just ignoreicon it.

Classic Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Make a contribution

Cagger since
    Jul 2009
    I am in
    Edinburgh

The name of the driver is a VERY SMALL part of the debate surrounding the legality of these invoices. ignoreicon

Basic Account Holder bettyboo1923 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jan 2007

can somebody advise me please?

my son received a 'Parking Enforcement Notice' London Luton airporticon from APCOA in april

Today received a letter from Roxburghe debt collectorsicon stating it is a 'parking chargeicon notice'.

does he akcnowledge it or just ignoreicon it. As he is out of the country at the mo I don't want to do anything to give these vultures any leverage.

many thanks

Gold Account Holder
    Help the CAG!!
    Download our toolbar
    crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative crem Highly informative

Cagger since
    Jun 2008

Totally ignoreicon

Basic Account Holder bettyboo1923 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Jan 2007

Thank you Crem. Thought that would be the case but just wanted to be sure. Many thanks

Basic Account Holder macman365 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Nov 2011

Angry Re: APCOA Parking fine. Please Help

My car was parked at an APCOA car park next to a mainline station a few weeks ago and payment was attempted via text message, as had been done many times in the past and since. For whatever reason, the payment by text didn't go through. Two days later there was a "Parking Enforcement Notice" on the windscreen that said if the parking chargeicon was paid within 14 days it "would be reduced to 40.00" (it didn't say what the non-reduced charge would be). I called APCOA the next day to explain the situation but was told I needed to put it in writing, which I did that day.

I didn't hear anything for a while until I received a "Notice to Owner and Final Reminder" from a company called Parking Collection Services, who stated they were acting on behalf of APCOA. This letter said that I now owed them 120! I called APCOA and they told me they had no record of receiving my letter (note that they didn't say they hadn't received it, just that they had no record of it being received) and that I had to deal with Parking Collection Services on the matter. LESSON: If you're going to send any written correspondence, make sure you send it registered post.

So I emailed and sent a registered letter to Parking Collection Services, for which I have proof of delivery. My letter requested a response within 3 working days of (recorded) receipt of the letter and I heard nothing back from them. Then over the weekend (over two weeks after Parking Collection Services received my letter) I received a letter from Debt Recovery Plus Ltd, which appears on the face of it to be a different company to Parking Collection Services although their addresses are almost identical. This letter now states I owe 140, which must be paid within 7 days!

If it were just me, I'd ignoreicon this as unenforceable as advised elsewhere. However, the prospect of going through a debt recovery process has my wife extremely worried and so I really need to do something to sort this out. My instinct is to contact APCOA and explain the situation to them again and even offer to pay for the 2 days parking as has been done every other time the same car park has been used. In fact, over the last two years, I've spent almost 900 with APCOA with over 250 of this being via the text payment service! I'm not a crook trying to avoid paying for parking!

I'd very much appreciate any sound advice the members of this forum can offer!

Follows
    Following

Basic Account Holder oddjobbob Novitiate oddjobbob Novitiate

Cagger since
    Nov 2011

@ macman

The best thing to do has been said numerous times in this thread already.

ie ignoreicon IT.

They have NO POWER., only a court does, and they WILL give up.

Basic Account Holder macman365 Novitiate

Cagger since
    Nov 2011

Thanks oddjobber. That would be my approach, but the threat of a debt recovery process is making my wife sick with worry. I'm hoping there's something I can do that, while not acknowledging nor accepting their claim, means I don't have this threat hanging over us for the next few weeks.

Basic Account Holder SURFBOY Novitiate SURFBOY's Avatar

Cagger since
    Mar 2007
    I am in
    cornwall

debt collectorsicon can do nothing to you, stop worrying.
    If you contact them in any way shape or form you just encorage them to send more letters.
    If you ignoreicon them they give up after only a few letters. There realy is NOTHING to worry about by ignoring them!
    I speak from experience.

hello all
    Follows
    Following

Viewing CAG on a small screen? Switch to the mobile version of the site

Reclaim the Right Ltd. - reg.05783665 in the UK reg. office:- 923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE