roof blew of neighbours shed - damaged my car......

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4681 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi guys. nice quick one for you.

last night my neighbours roof blew off their shed.....and damaged the bonnet of my car.

Whats the best course of action ? report the accident to the police ? ask the house owner to contact their own insurer ?? contact MY car insurer.....

i presume that A: they have house insurance.....B: their shed is covered by any such insurance.....and C : i don't have to pay any excess on MY policy, as clearly, i'm not at fault in any way.

thanks in advance guys.

W James

Ask them to contact their insurance. If there is any reluctance to do so then come back here.

If you contact your own motor insurers they will record it as a claim and it will affect your NCD until it is resolved.

If your neighbours insurers tell you to contact your insurer, tell them - no. It is none of your insurer's business.

Keep detailed notes of everything which is said or done. Take photos. Get two quotes for the repair. Get ready for loads of denial, cheapskating and generally a lot of stress and effort

hi guys. nice quick one for you.

last night my neighbours roof blew off their shed.....and damaged the bonnet of my car.

Whats the best course of action ? report the accident to the police ? ask the house owner to contact their own insurer ?? contact MY car insurer.....

i presume that A: they have house insurance.....B: their shed is covered by any such insurance.....and C : i don't have to pay any excess on MY policy, as clearly, i'm not at fault in any way.

thanks in advance guys.

W James

Unfortunately, you won't like this reply, but it is correct and will be backed up by your Insurers when you phone.

Your neighbours shed roof coming off caused the damage to your car, but was your neighbour negligent in anyway ? You have to be able to prove negligence to be able to claim off the neighbour and for their Home Insurance to cover damage to your car. This would be difficult unless you have proof that the shed roof was not maintained by the neighbour and they could reasonably have known it could come off to damage your car. This would be very difficult unless you have proof i.e pictures of the shed before the storm, showing conclusively it was in a state of disrepair.

If you have comprehensive Car Insurance, you would need to claim off that and pay the excess. Without proof of your neighbours negligence, you will not be able to claim your excess back off them. The neighbours Home Insurers won't be interested, unless you have proof of negligence.

If you only have third party, then you will have to pay for the repairs yourself.

I have dealt with claims, where cars have been written off in this situation. Does not lead to harmonious relations between neighbours !!!

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I'd go straight to your own insurer, chances are your neighbour cannot be blamed if it was the high winds that took it off. Negligence would be very hard to prove, you would have to prove that the roof was faulty and that your neighbour was aware or made aware of it, and unless you have been telling your neighbour for the past month "mate your shed looks like it's going to blow off", and you can prove that (or get a court to accept your word over theirs), your not going to get far. Even after that you would have to prove the roof would have blown off under normal winds and it wasn't a storm force that did this.

Lots of high winds yesterday, acts of God, whatever you would like to call it (I bet you have a few names for it).

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but, better to be prepared for the most probable outcome.

If you get the opposite result, please feel free to come and gloat at me. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Got a variation on the theme here.

Two doors up did some external fence painting last week (using orange paint or woodstain), we weren't around but when we returned found flecks of orange paint on our drive and front house windows and door. Also on next doors drive and front of house.

None of that a major problem really ... but the two month old metallic grey car which was parked on our drive is a problem. The orange paint is spotted / flecked and actually merged into the paintwork all over one side, the roof, front, rear (also windows, lights and mirrors). I would guess 3-400 little spots of orange - so the only option I can see is a full respray.

The car is on a 3 year personal contract type finance deal, so even if we choose not to remedy the problem now, it will come back to haunt us in 3 years time if we hand the car back for the Guaranteed Future Value and trade for a new car as intended. So best to deal with it now I guess.

Where first? Citizens Advice? Small claims court? Couple of estimates to remedy the damage? Pop round the neighbours for a chat??! They don't really speak to anyone so never had the pleasure. Any thoughts gratefully considered!!

Inform the neighbour of the problem and get main dealers for the car make, to take a look.

I presume the garage will get their bodyworks people to see if the paintwork has been affected or whether the woodstain can be removed using relevant solutions and powerwashing.

If the car needs to have any costly work done, then approach your Car Insurers with the details. Let them take any action as necessary against the neighbour and their Home Insurers. It sounds like the neighbour has been negligent in using a spray to apply the woodstain, when they should have realised the wind would carry this onto nearby surfaces including your car.

That is the route I would take. You could look to sue the neighbour directly, but I would think that would be more complicated and may incur legal costs, unless no win no fee except or you have legal cover.

Nb. In future when you want to post, can you add a new thread, rather than tag onto another.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

not sure about the legal side.....but :

Presuming its water based, it'll come off very easily. you just need the right stuff.

any decent car detailer would remove the overspray. quick spray down with tar and glue remover, then a paint renovation using a medium grade clay, with lubrication. bilt hamber clay would work well.

follow up with a decent polish, wax and seal.......no reason why you can't do it yourself, but failing that, £100 should see a local valeting guy do the buisness.

i've seen cars covered from top to bottom in tree sap, tar, paint, road marking goo, glue, melted rubber, acid bird crap....guys try all sorts to remove it....and fail. clay sorts it all out every time, with minimal effort :-)

If it's just fence paint then scratch remover should remove it.

Something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-AUTO-CAR-PAINT-SCRATCH-SWIRL-FIX-REPAIR-REMOVER-KIT-/180675869281?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a111efa61

My local discount store sells that same tube for 99p.

Test it in a hard to see spot.

If it's just fence paint then scratch remover should remove it.

Something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-AUTO-CAR-PAINT-SCRATCH-SWIRL-FIX-REPAIR-REMOVER-KIT-/180675869281?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a111efa61

My local discount store sells that same tube for 99p.

Test it in a hard to see spot.

I have tried that stuff, also bought from a 99p store. Not very good. I didn't find it any good, but perhaps it depends on the paintwork and how deep the scratches are.

Best stuff for removing anything off the surface is the liquid that contains clay.