style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4539 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello all,

My Mother has got behind on Council Tax payments and has been issued with a court summons for Friday.

I want to avoid court, so I was wondering what I could do to help her? I was thinking of writing out an income/expenditure list and a letter explaining why she got behind and how she will be able to start repayments soon due to a change in circumstances.

If this was done, do you think court would be avoided? Or should I simply prepare this information for the court day?

Many Thanks

DC

Check out my Blog:

http://grandprixfan.wordpress.com

Keep fighting the good fight everyone!

Hello all,

My Mother has got behind on Council Tax payments and has been issued with a court summons for Friday.

I want to avoid court, so I was wondering what I could do to help her? I was thinking of writing out an income/expenditure list and a letter explaining why she got behind and how she will be able to start repayments soon due to a change in circumstances.

If this was done, do you think court would be avoided? Or should I simply prepare this information for the court day?

Many Thanks

DC

The only way to avoid Court is to pay in full unfortunately. Are there any other circumstances the Council may not be aware of - does she get single person discount if she lives on her own, is she entitled to any other Benefits. The decision at Court is a basic yes or no answer and the grounds for dispute are very narrow. If granted a Liability Order from the Council can be passed for further enforcement including Bailiff action, if the sum outstanding is not paid.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You don't have to attend court dc, if your mother agrees she owes the tax then it's just a formality with the court stamping the form to say you are liable.

The courts can't take into concideration the reason it is in arrears as pt says above. Once the liability order is granted, you can contact the council and set up a repayment schedule and should do this as soon as the order is granted.

There is no county court judgement or credit reference agency default recorded.

• 5 months later...

Hello good afternoon, can someone pls advice me regarding what I need to do to taker the council to court over a council tax summon.

I recently received a summon even though I owe nothing and without prior warning. I was then informed that this was due to paying pm the 14th of every month rather than the 1st. I was then bullied into paying via dd; this allowed me to pay on the 18th every month. I was told that they do not receive my payments for another week prior however this is due to internal allocation of payment to individual accounts and nothing to do with me. I know that dd payments will not reach my account any quicker. Also I was charged 80 pounds for this. I want to claim this money back, can anyone advise me on how to do this?