Direct Line Insurance problem! Advice please.........

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4719 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I am currently insured with Direct Line, My premium is quite high at the moment as I am just building up my no claims. Driving For Many years but was always a named driver.

Was told that If I didnt make a claim in the first Year I would get 5years no claims that I could use with any other insurance company.

My Car was stolen back in january, car was involved in a crash with another vehicle.

The car stolen by an uninsured driver who was arrested and charged.

Now 4 months on I have been informed that a claim has been made regarding this incident and that even though the driver wasnt insured the car was so that makes Direct Line liable to pay out on any claim made by the third party!

So I was told today that because of this I have lost my 5years no claims that I would had after being with them for a year!

Feel like this isnt right though! The incident had nothing to do with me .

thankfull to anyone able to give a little advice.

Sharon

I believe under the Road Traffic Acts, even if a car is stolen, the Insurers still carry the third party liability risk. This is what I have been told and have read in posts by others who have far more knowledge about the RTA.

I find this very surprising and if I were in this situation I would look into this legally to see what I could do. If you have the legal cover on your Car Insurance, I would suggest that you give them a call to ask for advice. You may be able to take some action against the person who stole your car. I believe that when they are taken to court, that you can request compensation to be considered. But it depends on the thiefs ability to pay, so you might not get anything or very little. You would have to be able to evidence how much financially you had lost out by.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If your car has been stolen and the cluprits named (not even convicted), then under RTA law your insurers have a legal liability to pay for the damaged third party property.

The FOS may comment upon the actions of Direct Line not telling you, that is naughty, but apart from that they will probably support your insurer and have no juridistiction to argue law.

Getting the little s*** to pay is a different matter, chances are they have no money, in that case it would not be worth the insurer in persuing them, as legal fees, court costs and keeping a file open for the next 20 years to claim £2 a month is just not worth it.

And whilst it's not fair, the bonus is a no claim bonus, not no blame bonus, as the claim has been made against your policy the NCB is reduced.

You shouldn't loose all your NCB, 2 years is the norm and then you get back this year, so at renewal you should be down to 4 - other posters, please feel free to clarify this point, policy issues, payments, NCB is not my strong point.

If the NCD was named drivers entitlement and you have had a claim in the year leading up to getting 5 years entitlement in your name, I have a feeling you could lose it all. But speak to Direct Line to check for sure.

Under a normal NCD entitlement as a policyholder (not named driver), you would lose 2 years entitlement for each fault claim. This would be deducted at the next renewal.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread