• Tweets

• Thank you for that "read me", It's a lot to digest, lots of legal procedure. There was one thing that I was going to mention to you,  but in one of the conversations in that thread it was mentioned that there may be spies on the Forum,  this is something that I've read quite some time ago in a previous thread. What I had in mind was to wait for the thirty days after their reply to my CCA request and then send the unenforceable letter. I was hoping that an absence of signature could be the Silver Bullet but it seems that there are lot of layers to peel on this Onion.  
    • love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Tax credits do prosecute too !!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4677 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not judging anyone it is noticeable lately how many threads are coming forward giving advice for tax credit iregularities. In fact it totally feels to me that this dwarfs the threads of dwp fraud as in other benefits. It is also noticeable even when a dwp overpayment has occured through error, but yet still has happened that the dwp are not sympathetic and have to consider prosecution at a low figure level.

I am not saying any fraud is okay, no it is not.

Just reading the threads which are fine to start as advice is best sought, there is a general feeling that in most cases the tax credits even of high overpayments much in excess of dwp fraud are not prosecuted in the same way. No fraud is okay, but wether working or not I personally think they are less likely to prosecute a working person for keeness to get the money back, where as a person on dwp benefits who possible may be or not be disable is less likely to promptly return the money wether error unoticed or deliberate fraud.

Reading some of the threads it is understandable that a lot of cases involve desperate people doing desperate things they dont want to do, so again no one judges and shouldnt do, but what I wanted to add is reading the daily mail today shows that the tax credits do prosecute in cases where for instance this woman was ringing up regulary to better her claim and increase her payments, yet was not willing to inform them of the fact that some of her children had been adopted, so she didnt ring to inform them she needed less money, but rang to say fictious children had been born and also that the children were disabled and needed extra help.

So in cases where people ring to better a claim and yet dont ring to inform of changes which would reduce a claim it does seem they prosecute.

Also it has to be said how can the tax credits possibly be so stupid as to allow fictious children to suddenly appear without checking facts. When claiming dwp benefits for instance sickness as this woman did claim her kids were sick, various proof must be shown, surely it is time for the tax credits to not be so stupid as it seems they are letting themselves be defrauded.

To anyone desperate this site is brill for advice for anyone, but it is shocking to see how many tax credit cases of fraud are appearing at a time when people who genuinely need legitamate help for sickness are being treated as work shy and put through the mangle just to try and claim a benefit they are finding they are it seem automatically refused to then have to fight on appeal, when tax credits seems handed out so readily with no regular or compatent checks.

Possibly because tax credits cases are getting out of hand they will soon prosecute along the lines of dwp fraud, I dont wish anybody ill will at all, but warn it needs to stop.

If I am over the top I am happy to be told that, but it feels so unfair when you read of desperate people on dwp benefits admitting fault early on wether intentional or not to find a much higher likelihood of prosecution when they also offer to pay it back xx

You often read how an error dwp wise is claimed to be not noticed, but even so due to the rules of you must keep on top of your claim, they can get prosecuted and it seems common sence is not given space there. Some of the tax fraud cases are massively big, dwp prosecute when hit £2,000 apparantly. There should really be no discrepancy between how they deal with dwp and tax credits to make sure people reaslise how serious getting their claim right is.

Now i am going to hide away just incase anyone wants to rip my head off xx

Cag is good for helping all no matter what has happened remember that xx:-)

Edited by watchinginvestigation2011

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How on earth does one manage to do things like that and get away with it? I mean, I thought you had to claim child benefit to claim tax credits for children (something about a child benefit number?) and there was something about needing the birth certificate for child benefit.

And don't they ask for proof for disability? Like the certificate for visual impairment or a DLA award.

*confused*

When my second child was born I claimed the child benefit via the paper application form and informed tax credits of the change in my circumstances and they paid an interim increase for my newborn baby whilst waiting for the child benefit to be updated to show the revised and increased amount with the Date Of Birth verified.

I'm not sure how tax credits verify the payment of LA as the computer portals that used to link HMRC and DWP databses have been removed so that it falls to the individual to report the changes to each department and not rely solely on one departmebt notifying all of the others iygwim?

watchingivestigation I don't think that you are being over the top and I agree as this was issue that was bought up by numerous departments when tax credits were first introduced in 2003 that the level of fraudulent claims would increase, the response well we will del eith it if we need to :|

there has been a massive shift in Tax Credits processes towards error and fraud in the past 6 months. I have viewed this forum for a while and have only just joined (for this topic!). I have saw the large amounts of undeclared partners and Childcare costs threads, which is an indication that someone at the top finally listened to the people at the bottom.

Many, many things went unchecked despite the front line concerns but this has changed. 3rd party info as well as greater access to DWP data has meant a rapid increase in correction and prevention of fraud. Much of what seems to be done is claims are corrected. HMRC is and will be going down the route of prosecuting people for fraud and I would expect this in the very near future.

if you google: tackling error and fraud in the benefits and credits systems, there should be a 2010 PDF document that will answer some of your questions.

they are certainly cracking down on the individuals, with a lot more focus than they have done and this looks like only the start of it.

My advice? Correct it...while you still can!

Benefits and credits are there to be utilised by the most vulnerable in society and it is a great shame that some people abuse the privelage of living in a Welfare state. There does appear to be a consensus (not solely on here) that Tax Credit do not prosecute. As you have pointed out, that consensus is not accurate. They do and they will. They tend to be a lot lighter than DWP and LA's in that they will opt for civil recovery and penalty rather than prosecution wherever possible. It's rare that tax credit prosecutions are heard of in comparison to other benefit fraud prosecutions, and I think this is most probably where the confusion arises from. I've seen a sufficient amount of cases in my time to hazard a guess at a possible outcome but that is all it ever is, a guess based upon current guidance and what I've seen applied to the circumstances. HMRC have the final say in whether they will refer a case for prosecution.

There have been a few expressions recently about the forum seemingly accepting fraud. Just to be absolutely clear, CAG does not condone fraud. As a consumer forum we will when it is possible to do so, provide information to those who come here willingly admitting fraud in regard to what they may face. What we will not do is advise people how to continue defrauding or 'cover their tracks' as the case may be.

There are many threads which appear here on a daily basis, many threads will be removed so swiftly that others do not get the opportunity to know of their existance. Among these threads will be ones which are designed to encourage or promote fraud. They will be removed or responded to with CAG's position, depending on their individual content.

• Confused 1

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

I've always wondered about the imaginary children thing. When I claimed child tax credits I had to give my child benefit number, so the person claiming fraudulently would have to do the same I imagine. How do they claim child benefit without a birth certificate?

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

CHB is not a requirement for receiving tax credit, though it is often thought to be, and will be looked at in the case of a rival claim. I won't go into how it is done because that provides examples which would give some people ideas, but I've seen a lot of cases of fraud and in many of them it is not surprising the fraud continued for as long as it did, when you see how it has been done. Often, 'evidence' is provided to tax credit; often they are non the wiser that the applicant has no children because the 'evidence' appears to leave little doubt. All I'll say is that there are some well organised criminals out there. It is these sort of people who will barely escape a prosecution. In cases of fictional children, prosecution is usually a given.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

Considering how normal people have to jump through hoops to get tax credits and other benefits I would think they would need to be well organised criminals with a better knowledge of the benefits system than the people who work in it.

If you find my post helpful please click on the scales at the top. Thank you

FAQ SECTION HERE

Halifax Bank Claim filed and settled

Halifax Credit Card settled

Argos Store Card settled

CCA requests sent to

Halifax Credit Card

LLoyds TSB Credit Card

Capital One

Moorcroft (Argos)

NDR

18/06/09

To Erika, thanks for the response. As I have mentioned, I am new to posting on the forum but not to viewing. I have never came across a thread/post encouraging or legitimizing fraud and that will be done to good admin.

My views will differ greatly from many on the forum and I have withheld them as there is no point in berating someone in need at a time where they realise and accept their action.

I actually admire the assistance this forum can provide and it may highlight an inadequacy within the government to assist those wishing to rid themselves of their ongoing fraud.

But I must also offer my opinion that many are happy to let it continue until the letter falls through the door. It seems that at only this time people are hit by a wave of moral and social responsibility where acceptance of wrong is embraced.

Save yourself (not aimed at you Erika) the stress of finding the letter. Correct it.

I absolutely agree with you there, wee-fella. We don't have many threads where people don't show some level of remorse (albiet late) for their actions, coupled with the panic of what fate now befalls them. But that's not to say we don't get them. We do get threads where people think it's their God given right to defraud the state and whom display anger that they face prosecution; many of these people will seek in some way to push the blame onto others for issues of their own making; they will come here with a view to finding a way of getting out of prosecution. At CAG, we can't help people who hold that viewpoint.

It's not always as straight forward as it seems. For some, they find it exceptionally difficult to budget. They have a change of circumstances or income, they are landed with bills they are struggling to pay and have become accustomed to the weekly money. They think "I'll tell them next month". But the next month brings another lot of bills, and before they know it, it's renewal time. They don't declare the change, frightened that tax credit will recoup coupious amounts from their current award and think if they leave it another month "I'll tell a white lie, that my circumstances income only changed this month". But the circle continues. For others, they live in what I call a 'trapped world'. After I had my children, their father turned into a drunk and an abuser. I became trapped in a world where he spent all his income on booze and gambling. I lived in fear of him, but in fear of any other life. I had no family or support system nearby. At that time as a stay at home mam, they only money going into my bank account was child benefit and tax credits. They went on the children - clothing, nappies, food, shoes. We also had pay as you go gas and electric. I had to use the tax credit/CHB to keep those going as well, especially in the winter. I spent weeks living on bread and water, the rent wasn't paid. I didn't commit fraud, I got free of him and got a job (something I wasn't 'allowed' to do whilst with him). But having been in that situation, it's slightly easier for me to see how desperate a person can be and how easy it can be to so something so wrong to be able to keep a roof over the little one's heads, food on the table. Abuse is a vicious circle, and leaving is not always as easy as it appears. I've seen many people who have has similar lives to what I had who went on to commit fraud as a means to survival. Their inability to budget and their circumstances does not in any way excuse their actions, but it may explain them a bit, how easy it is to fall into that trap. It's not a life I'd choose, constantly worrying that there would be a knock at the door.

There is the other side of it too. The organised gangs, the fictional children, fictional disabilities, the people who will deliberately obtain a childcare provider's registration number to claim fictional childcare costs, and of course people who aren't especially organised, aren't struggling and who have fairly decent life circumstances who do it out of greed. There are no explanations for their actions. Some of the things I've seen are actually so sickening, and some so convincing that I felt compelled to post about it one day on here, though I did not go into too much details for the same reasons I gave in my earlier post.

We are often a last resort for many people when that letter falls through the door. At that point, the fraud is frequently running into tens of thousands. Some are actually relieved that it's over though they panic about what comes next. All we can do when that time comes is advise them on what may or may not happen to them. Some people listen to us and some people don't. One of the things that will be found here (with me) is that I don't paint a pretty picture. I don't say to people "It'll be fine". Because it won't be 'fine' The only 'fine' there will be is a civil penalty or criminal fine. What I tend to do is tell them the options which are available to HMRC, what the outcomes can be, the possibility of only recovery and penalty if they admit compared to the possibility of prosecution if they don't. I also ensure people know that if providing an admission, it must be a full disclosure otherwise they may face further recovery and penalties or a prosecution. I'll tell them the likey outcome of their case but it's only a guestimate and unless they have provided me the full facts, it isn't going to be accurate let alone certain. That's all we can do, lay it out for people in black and white, provide enough information for them to make an informed decision. After that, it's up to them.

A lot of posts don't get updates. Some are because people think they can still get away with it and choose to seek advice elsewhere (however incorrect doesn't matter to them, as long as they are told what they want to hear). Some are because people simply don't bother to let us know the outcome. But for others I often wonder if the reason they haven't responded may be because they have been incarcerated and have not yet built sufficient privelages to use the internet. It happens and that is the best piece of advise I can give to anyone seeking help on fraud who is searching through the threads looking for updates to other's similar predicaments. Think about why they haven't updated. There could be a multitude of reasons, but them being imprisoned and unable to update is certainly one of them - and we'll never know the difference.

Considering how normal people have to jump through hoops to get tax credits and other benefits I would think they would need to be well organised criminals with a better knowledge of the benefits system than the people who work in it.

Oh they jump through them alright. With evidence. They are asked to provide evicence, no problem, they can provide it. Many people would be shocked at the stories I could tell at what I've seen but as I said I can't go into how some of it is done. What I can say is that it is done with evidence that looks so valid, that nobody would question it. Often if I myself did not have the contradictory evidence starting me in the face to show that the case is fraudulent, I wouldn't know any different. Some people who make false claims for children in tax credit are already falsely claiming CHB for that same child(ren) who do not exist. They don't need to know anything more about the system than anyone else, they just need to be able to come up with evidence that they are asked for, and they can do it.

We must have a national data base with every birth and death on it.

My birth certificate has a number on it.

If I had to have my national insurance number to get child benefit and my childs birth certificate as proof,you wernt allowed to send copies, then why is all of the information not tied to my national insurance number. How could I pretend to have more children than I do?

Please note: I am not saying anyone here on CAG does or has done this:

I've come across posts on the internet where people have told others how to fill in forms fraudulently. I once challenged this because I believed what the person was saying was wrong. To which they "there's nothing wrong with doing that. I was told by CAB to do that".

Many people I've come across have told others to fill in forms for disability living allowance (DLA) based on worst days - apparently, there's nothing wrong with doing this. It's only wrong if you say you need more help than you do - same thing, no?

• 1 month later...

Gob smacked how large some of these tax credits overpayments are outing at!!!!!!!!!!! £18K

This site is great advice to everyone and always will be I am sure.

I do feel tax credits should come down as hard on overpayments where false details are given or altered and not notified in the same manner as benefits which has a set level as 2,000, not out of any cause of my own or vindictiveness, but you see how someone made a genuine mistake is terrified of what will happen for passing the set 2,000 and yet tax credits cases clearly getting out of hand are rising to extreme.

How can anyone expect to overclaim near 20K and not have a risk of going to prison, sorry.

People do get desperate and do silly things but there has to be no diffrence between tax credit fraud and any benefit fraud to discourage others from thinking tax credits will be a short term or in cases long term LOAN..

Whilst disabled people on benefits are begging for what they need and losing it, tax credits claimants seem given an open check book expecting sorry to suffice, it has to stop xx

Any sympathies I might have for anyone temporarily done a silly thing and willing to put right are being trampled over by the ones who seem to have been doing it for multiple years. Of course they will feel worried, they should be!!!!!!!! But will they get prosecuted like a labelled benefit scoundrel, I doubt it.

Come on people the dwp is stuggling and the disabled are losing out and if more people sorted thier lives out and were honest from the start perhaps their might be more in the pott for those who genuinely cannot work as this type of help is sure begrudged.

Dear watchinginvestigation2011

On behalf of all the desperate people on this forum who come here for some support and sympathetic factual advice without judgement or irrelevant opinions - THANK YOU!

Thank you for making us feel even lower than we already did.

Yes there is a difference with the way Govenment bodies deal with Fraud and I do agree with you that it can seem unfair but I dont see how this forum is the place to air your opinions regarding this matter, especially after you have read how many desperate people are on here looking for ADVICE. Not a soft ear, nor a harsh reprimand - just factual ADVICE. Yet you post such an insensitive opinion.

Your opinion offers no solid factual advice and only puts the fear of God into already desperate (some SUICIDAL) people.

I beleive that the type of people who visit this forum are not the people who Defraud the system for the sole purpose of greed with no remorse. The people who are here are usually in severe financial hardship and did not realise how much it was turning into. They have no idea the penalties/punishments for what they are doing and do not conciously think "oh well its tax credits ill get away with it" . Thats why they come here to get the SYMPATHETIC advice they are searching for without judgement. Not to flippently be told that they need to "sort their lives out".

I am one of the genuine Disabled people who cannot work that you refer to in you post. I know how hard it is to access help. I stuggle physically every day on my own while my partner is forced to work a 40+ hour week for minimum wage.

Im not condoning fraud in anyway I just find it a little harsh to be posting opinions that offer no advice or support to the people that come here searching for it.

Sorry but I dont care what anyone says, there is no doubt in my mind that some people DO think tax credit fraud is the lesser of 3 evils & do decide to defraud them instead of housing benefit or DWP. Yes Tax credits do prosecute, but nowhere even near as much as other benefit fraud. But it really is no different when it comes down to it. And tax problems far outweigh benefit problems finacially for the country. It is all a bit of a mystery.

I am quite clearly comparing the lack of actions against tax credits as apposed to intense actions of fraud re other benefits, which is also wrong, but I also accept desperate people do desperate things. So you can gather I am not against anyone and anyone wishing to take offence may do so if so wish, but I feel those who know me and have been reading these threads appear due to time of the year will notice the intensity of these tax credit frauds and the amounts.

This site is here to help all no matter, but I am entitled to give my view that tax credits is being what appears to me pilfard too easily with no worries of prosecution as compared to other benefits where strung up by the neck untill dead in comparison for lesser or even accidental errors.

Fact is tax credits is having the pee taken out of it and those inclined to defraud are doing so considering it akin to a long term bank loan it would appear.

As judge judy says I dont give a rats behind if you do not see me as sympathetic because in fact I am, to those who genuinely need it. Lately there is far more an excess of tax credit threads than that of other benefit fraud threads to the extent of sucking out all the oxygen out of the air, so it is obviously RIFE.

Hence my suggestion if they were as tough as that on any other benefit, then I suggest it would DWINDLE and imaginary nursery places and hours charged to the tax purse might just receed a little.

I am on benefits and if desperately in need would apply for social loan or budgeting loan, whatever appropriate, I wouldnt invent a kid or nursery place that is not being used !!!!!!!!

I also suggest anyone who thinks I am wrong in my attitude that all benefit fraud cases should be treat the same, has their head back to front xx :)

Either all cases deserve sympathy and right to discretely pay it back or the docks where all is revealed to all, no matter how desperate a person was or small ammount it was. Cant have it both ways or are tax credit cases considering themselves better than lowley benefit fraud cases. Funny enough benefit fraud cases make big news, my point is if tax credit did also, then people might behave xx

I have never done any wrong myself but it does not take too hard an eye to read what is appearing is a class of type of benefit fraud one makes the news and one does not. NOT RIGHT.

There have been many what appear genuine cases where a mistake has occured in an overpayment of benefits and when that person argues that it was a mistake the rules are returned that you had every opportunity to read the leaflet etc.....inform us etc....and this is true, when claiming benefits you know what you have to do, okay.

So when that person who although in the wrong legally has been proven to have made a genuine mistake re say housing or income support, you would think they would be able to pay it back, discretely!!!!!!! No, if that person has gone past 2,000 they are considered for prosecution no matter the reason, so I say that if there can be no compassion for one case, then why is tax credits getting overpayments of 18K which have been amassed deliberatley and yet one is seem as without compassion for s aying hey something is wrong here, surely this deserves court.

Now its not up to me, but something sniffs and I feel all benefits should be treated equally and deliberatley overclaiming should be at risk of prosecution either way. I bet those who think oooh wicked woman, might next week read in the news a case of desperate single mother taken to court for not claiming partner, again wrong, but that case might have made the newspapers for a debt of 2,001 pounds and yet that person reading might owe tax credits 18,000 pounds.

Not right.

Look we all get desperate but when good old govt works out the figures and has to allow for years of repayments due to tax credit frauds, how can it fairly allow for decent ammount for other benefits?

Dear watchinginvestigation2011

On behalf of all the desperate people on this forum who come here for some support and sympathetic factual advice without judgement or irrelevant opinions - THANK YOU!

Thank you for making us feel even lower than we already did.

Yes there is a difference with the way Govenment bodies deal with Fraud and I do agree with you that it can seem unfair but I dont see how this forum is the place to air your opinions regarding this matter, especially after you have read how many desperate people are on here looking for ADVICE. Not a soft ear, nor a harsh reprimand - just factual ADVICE. Yet you post such an insensitive opinion.

Your opinion offers no solid factual advice and only puts the fear of God into already desperate (some SUICIDAL) people.

I beleive that the type of people who visit this forum are not the people who Defraud the system for the sole purpose of greed with no remorse. The people who are here are usually in severe financial hardship and did not realise how much it was turning into. They have no idea the penalties/punishments for what they are doing and do not conciously think "oh well its tax credits ill get away with it" . Thats why they come here to get the SYMPATHETIC advice they are searching for without judgement. Not to flippently be told that they need to "sort their lives out".

I am one of the genuine Disabled people who cannot work that you refer to in you post. I know how hard it is to access help. I stuggle physically every day on my own while my partner is forced to work a 40+ hour week for minimum wage.

Im not condoning fraud in anyway I just find it a little harsh to be posting opinions that offer no advice or support to the people that come here searching for it.

This site goes two ways, support is of course offered in doing the right thing, but opinions on a valid issue are just as in place too and this is in fact my thread where you have chosen to post your view, so I do politely have a right to air my opinons. I say people who commit tax fraud need to be very very careful as sympathy is running out due to unfairness depending on what benefit you are on !!!!!!!! I must say a slight overpayment akin to other benefits I say again could be overlooked(we are human), but hundreds of pounds paid not entitled to that a person may have got used to spending and then finds is difficlut to adjust hence tha panic should be treat the same way no matter wether what is clamied wether that be income support of tax credits paid to a family.

As in more cases will appear in the courts so stop doing it.

Sometimes hearing what you may not want to hear, is a good thing, I know I fall into that catergory myself on other issues, but I like to think I learn by the pointers I am lucky enough to receive from time to time. I am just simply gobsmacked how much tax credit fraud is going on, simples as the meerkat would say xx

Sorry but I dont care what anyone says, there is no doubt in my mind that some people DO think tax credit fraud is the lesser of 3 evils & do decide to defraud them instead of housing benefit or DWP. Yes Tax credits do prosecute, but nowhere even near as much as other benefit fraud. But it really is no different when it comes down to it. And tax problems far outweigh benefit problems finacially for the country. It is all a bit of a mystery.

AGREE xx :)