Part time work while claiming JSA- will your benefit be suspended if you leave the job?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4407 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

can anyone offer any information? If you are claiming JSA and have a part time job (signing fortnightly and declaring hours and wage) , and the job isn't working out, can you leave the job and continue on your JSA or will your claim be stopped because you have deliberately made yourself unemployed- even though you have been officially classed as unemployed all along?

Many thanks

You will be asked to complete for es48jp to give your reasons for giving up te job. It might b referred to DMA for a decision if you do leave the job.Part time work is treated the same as full time employment when the employment ends a decision will be required about the payability of your benefit.

Guest jsa12

sounds like your working in receipt of benefits anyway and working under 16 hours,personally i would say nothing when they ask have you done any paid or unpaid work say no and obviously you have no wages to declare either your benefit should return to its normal level.

if they push for answers then tell them.working under 16 hours allows jobseekers to be paid anyway and really is your choice you declare it,nothing else to do with them. full time is another matter.

if they push for answers then tell them.working under 16 hours allows jobseekers to be paid anyway and really is your choice you declare it,nothing else to do with them. full time is another matter.

Um, hold on there! You have to tell them that you do paid work - no matter how many hours. with the exception of the first £5-£20, JSA is affected.

Guest jsa12

that is correct nystagmite,but as the job has ceased only the point paid up to the end has to be declared,working under 16 hours still allows jobseekers,many people are surprised by this and cannot see how you can work and claim jobseekers.

as long as the pay has been mentioned i would keep quite about the reasons for it stopping.its also surprising when they search for jobs 15.5 hours "oh that's no good" but 16.5 hours that's different just enough to get someone out the door regardless.

Thanks JSA12, but I've done everything by the book-declaring hours and wage and will continue to do so. Just wanted to know what would happen if I left and flumps has answered that. Just going to hold on and hope that one of the full times jobs I'm applying for comes up or that I can find enough hours from another job to add to this one.

Thanks everyone.

Guest jsa12

yes i am not saying not declare the hours and the wage you have to,but there is a tendency not to be interested in work under 16 hours and its longevity and its future.your still signing.

what they are very interested in is sanctions and will use every opportunity to apply one by whatever means there's plenty of horror stories.when i did agency work all i did was declare and a deduction was made from my benefit basically it wasn't worth doing.they weren't interested why it ended

they forgot to welcome you to the forum.

there is a tendency not to be interested in work under 16 hours

Which isn't helped by employers pretty much stating "must be flexible". How can you be flexible when you want / need another job to take you off JSA and into full time work?

I won't work for under 16 hours. Not me being fussy; but me needing to work more than 16 hours and employers expecting you to be available for work 24/7.

• 10 months later...

:mad2:Can anyone help ? I have been doing pwrt time hours and being topped up with jsa for 8 months .Riligiously filing in part time form every singing with the form they give me to document it .All of a sundden they want more proof of earnings sent all my documentation in theyhave lost it .They have suspended jsa since 7/2/2012 .I have just printed off 57 pages of jsa booklet says nothing about part time work suspentions .?

It's not a suspension regarding part time work it's a suspension of infomation not being received.

The only thing I can suggest is that you contact the Benefits Processing Centre and request a call back to speak to the actual team to determine if the information has been received andthe systems not yet updated due to current backlog of work.

If it hasn't been received you can request an appointment at the JCP for AJCS (pronounced AJAX) to go into the office to orovide duplicate payskips statemts from employers you or whatever it is they require.