Pet insurance help with coverage

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4726 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have had my policy with animal friends for about 10 years continuous and have a question regarding their policy http://www.animalfriends.org.uk/files/2913/0028/4187/Policy-Wording-wef-14-03-11.pdf

6 years ago Pickles the cat developed anorexia due to a bad tooth and was hospitalised on a drip where she then developed cat flu (calicivirus) - luckily the insurance paid out as the cat was in hospital at the time being treated for anorexia. The vet mentioned when she was better that she would be prone to future bouts when under stress.

Pickles has recently had an enema under anaesthetic which should be covered fine however she is now showing signs of cat flu again - the policy states that cats should be vaccinated but the vet had mentioned that it makes little difference as it is the same as human flu and you cannot vaccinate 100% as there are too many strains. Fingers crossed at the moment she doesnt need any treatment for it but I wonder where I stand if she does as she has not been vaccinated?

I have pet insurance (not with same company) but it does clearly state for me that animals must have current vacinations and kept up to date as it will nullify insurance if I dont keep them up to date.

Although the vet said it makes no difference as it is a condition of the policy so I think you may be on a sticky wicket with this

I know my rights Mr DCA I'm with the CAG......hello hello where you gone Mr DCA8)

I clarified this the last time and apparantely it wont void the policy but they did say that it just wont cover the animal idf they contract them. What I dont understand then is if they are vaccinated they will cover or the wont?

Failing to vaccinate your pet will result in those conditions which can be vaccinated against being excluded by the insurers. No vaccine is 100% effective but in most cases the minimum benefit is to lessen the symptoms which would presumably in the insurer's mind result in lower vets bills.

I'm surprised at a cat getting calicivirus in the circumstances described. 'Cat flu' doesn't actually exist and I think it's a most misleading term. We vaccinate against calici and herpesvirus and it's herpes which is more commonly spread, is carried for life once contracted and will manifest flu like symptoms under stress.

I thought that might be the reasoning behind it - next time I will make sure they are vaccinated as its such a horrible thing when they go through it. The vet has said its definitely calici though and that is the more common version of the two?

Interesting. Herpesvirus is by far the most feared for being easily spread by carriers. Calici is really horrid - causes limping, mouth ulcers and other foul symptoms on top of the normal URI stuff. The reason I hate them being referred to as 'cat flu' is because there are a number of URI's cats can get, most of which are not covered by vaccinations. The minute a vet sees a cat with any of these, doesn't bother to test and writes 'cat flu' insurers get to deny a perfectly valid claim for an unvaccinated cat.

thanks for your advice - thats really handy to know. Can you advise what tests can be done as she is going in for a check up on saturday - all of the symptoms have come out really bad this morning with the sneezes, snuffles, drooling and runny eyes - Im just about getting her to eat with coley.

Just ask your vet to test for calicivirus if that's what he reckons it is, a simple matter of taking swabs and sending them off to a lab. Probably worth asking him to test for herpesvirus too. Either one isn't good news of course but worth knowing because there is a simple and cheap non-prescription product which has a reasonable reputation for keeping herpesvirus under control. Both 'cat flu' viruses can only be tested for properly when they are causing symptoms so this is the ideal time. It's actually very frustrating that you can't acurately test a symptom free carrier.

It is miserable for the cat - whichever virus is causing the symptoms. If you have cat carrier, put the cat in it and place a bowl of boiling water in front with some Vicks or the like. Cover the whole lot with a towel and leave for a minute or two - not too long. It will work for a cat just like it does for us. If you do this before feeding her she may feel more like eating as it will help with her sense of smell.

thanks so much - I have been giving her a steam bath as you describe twice a day for about 10 mins and she is loving it, I didnt realise you could put vicks in the water though?! It certainly makes a difference to her being able to eat a little!