House insurance claim, lodger!! HELP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4759 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone I have recently had my house burgled (well yesterday) and need some help with the following query.

I have a tenant/lodger that rents a room from me she is a solicitor working in the courts and her laptop got taken also amongst other items when we were both at work yesterday.

I have contacted the police who have sent various people round to dust for prints etc, someone had broken it via the front door using a crowbar or something not quite sure.

Anyways I rang the insurance company to inform them, and they have told me that my insurance maybe invalid as I have a lodger and did not inform them of this, I had not idea that I was suppose too as I got my insurance over the phone and they never stipulated or asked at the time.

The underwriter will get back to me in 5 days with a decision, this is driving me mad at a very stressful time and i was just wondering where i stand and if they are legally allowed to do this?

any help would be really appreciated.

just trying to hunt for them now!...

its more of a general question i guess, they customer rep said there was something in the T&C to that effect, it really took me by surprise...just wondering if its common practice for home insurance providers to not cover stolen items because of this.

This will be contained in the eligibility criteria for the policy. They will ask a question as to whether the home is occupied by proposer and family for private residential purposes only and in the policy it will mention that you must inform them immediately if this changes. So you would have to tell them about the lodger.

Most Insurers will allow one lodger but some will not accept any. This is not written into the eligibility criteria or policy. You have to tell them about the lodger and they tell you whether it is acceptable or not.

If the Insurers accept your inadvertent non disclosure, as long as there were visable signs of forced entry or exit from the property, they will deal with your claim. They won't cover the lodgerds possessions, as lodgers have to arrange their own separate cover elsewhere.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread