Will the job-centre pay my rent if i go in to private renting DSS?

21muk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4741 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im looking at properties because i want my own place really badly, so im seeking accommodation from a landlord, i know most want a bond up front, so if i get the bond money myself, and say move in to a house, would the jobcentre take care of the rest for me I.E pay my rent each month? also if they will, how/who do i speak to about that?

Hi,

The JobCentre do not pay your rent for you. That is the responsibility of your Local Council BUT don't just go for the first place you see.

LHA rates are capped to what the Goverment think you should be paying

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_196239

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

oh thanx for that im starting to understand it a bit better now so 1.the councell tax place sorts all that kinda stuff out..jot the jobcentre..2.i clicked the link you give me and done that calculator test, im a single guy, so im only entitled to 1 bedroom house/flat, also it shows they will pay me 80 pound per week so its like 320 pound a month, so i hope i can find one in that price range

im confused again wait, so if i tell you my details can you possibly give me some insight at what im dealing with? i am 22 years old male, i am currently on jobseekers allowence, im looking to rent a flat/house from a land lord, am i entitled to one and how much, and also what do i need to move to the next step?

As a 22 year old male, you're only entitled to the shared room rate and not the one bedroom rate. Because you're on Job Seekers Allowance, you're entitled to the maximum for your area. So, if the council says "we pay a maximum of £80 a week", you'll get £80 a week if that's also how much your rent is.

Housing benefit was replaced by Local Housing Allowance some time ago. This month they have lowered all of the rates.

As an under 25 - now an under 35 - you are only entitled to the shared room rate for your area. Your area will be shown on the lists above.

If in England:

http://www.voa.gov.uk/lhadirect/LHA_percentile_rates.htm

The rules state that this is the money available to cover your allowance - i.e. you are entitled to a shared room so you will only get the money for a shared room. You can move into a palace if you can fund it, but you will only get the maximum for your allowance from the government.

It doesn't mean you have to move into a bedsit. It means you will only get the funding for a bedsit.

The funding for your entitlement (shadow 30% March '11 figures) ranges from £43 per week in Sunderland to £137.50 per week in London.

The trick is to find an understanding landlord and a good property. And there is no help available to you there. I would suggest you start with the property.

For private housing these are good places to start:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/

http://www.findaproperty.com/

For council housing you should register with your local council. There is usually a long waiting list.

The '30th percentile' means you should be able to afford 3 out of 10 bedsits in your area. But as above, if you can find a 12 bed mansion going for that price, you could rent that instead.

If this is not enough, you could always try a court case citing age discrimination. Under the Human Rights Act it is illegal to discriminate on grounds of age. I cannot say how this applies to this situation, if at all.

It is interestng that a lot of people will now be unable to afford their rent, as they will have entered agreements based upon the old ratings system.

Many people aged say 26 -34 may now have a shortfall in their rent, and many of these could end up homeless as a consequence.

Good luck.

I think it's a bit tight of them really to put an age on it, but yes, as I said in your last thread, you'll only be able to rent a room in a shared house if you're under 25. If you rent a one bed flat, I wonder if they will still pay the 80 pounds & you have to find the rest, can anyone answer that? I have been wondering that for a while.

Oh just seen Honeybees post, wonder why that didn't show up before I posted in here, ooooerr spooky!

Yeh I think it's wrong to discriminate on age, but there we go...

Edited by jadeybags

the maximum housing benefit you would get would depend upon the area you live in

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Here's an example:

Me and my partner live in a 2 bedroom house with no children. Our rent is £400 per month and our LHA is £91.15 per week based on our entitlement for one bedroom. This means we have to find £35.40 a month to cover the shortfall.

Be good to yourself, when nobody else will

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

21muk

assuming you are still living in middlesbrough, the maximum you can claim in housing benefit is £50.00 per week

so if your rent is more than that, you would need to make up the difference from your jobseekers allowance

e.g. if you rent a 1 bedroomed flat at £75.00 per week - the council would pay £50 per week - you would need to pay the other £25 per week

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Or you could relocate anywhere you wanted to.

This could be because you wanted to be near family or because you believe there is a better chance of finding work there.

Move to London = more chance of finding work. The bigger the city the better the chance.

Start with the property imho.