style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4741 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm writing this on behalf of my grandfather who lives in bexley.

In February he got a letter from the council stating that he was due a refund on his council tax of an amount of just over two hundred pound and he had to send back a form with account details of the account he wanted the money put into.

So the refund went into his account.

Then this week he got a letter from the council demaning the refund back immediently which he can not do.:mad2:

So he phoned them and was informed the council made a mistake they removed his house from the council tax list and because the house was not on the list no council tax was due so they refunded the amount owning.:!:

Once they realised they're mistake they put him back on the list and now they want they're money back. Now My grandfather is eighty years old and his health is failing so his extremly stressed.

He used the refund for much needed repairs on his house as he only has a pension coming in.

So does he have to repay and if he does do they have the right to demand it all back in one go or can they accept montly payments.

Thank you in advance for any help.

you could try asking them to write off the debt (in my experience, very little chance) - or submit an official complaint - leading onto an ombudsman complaint - but from what you have said, i think it is repayable

in relation to instalments, some councils will spread the debt, others won't - there is no right to instalments for past years debts

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Hi Ikd79

Your grandfather will most probably have to pay this back but do not allow them to pressurize him in paying it all back at once, he is 80 and I assume has only a limited amount of income, secondly this is their mistake, so when offering your monthly amount make sure it is as little as possible so there is not too much stress on your grandfather. Your grandfather will be fine, he has caring grandchildren like yourself assisting him.

Let us know how you get on.

L x

hmmm....

just had a thought, you could possibly argue "estoppel", this may depend upon the actual content of the correspondence that your grandfather received from the council

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.